Redline throws: Why Seattle is money on sideline passes

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Ever noticed Russell Wilson constantly throwing to the sidelines and wondered how he can make his living with those crazy tiptoe catches? Found some Fieldgulls reading from the preseason about how it's a core tenet of Seattle's offense to control the "redline" in order to open up those throws on a consistent basis.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... olden-tate

Much has been made of the traits that our receivers lack - speed, height, route-running etc (and how they're constantly spread out wide). But Schneider does have other specific earmarks for his receivers, specifically those revolving around the ability to "control the redline". Imagine the redline as an imaginary line running down the field halfway between the numbers and the sideline (the team actually has the redline marked out on their practice fields). One thing all our receivers have in common is the leverage, body control/positioning, and awareness to win their release and box out defenders from the sideline. We already know they can win jump balls. Throw in a QB who's gutsy and accurate enough in that narrow strip right along the sideline, and you've actually got a sustainable receiving trade there. This is why our receivers get so many mind-blowing, toe-tapping sideline catches despite lacking height - our receivers isolate that strip, and Wilson puts the throw right in it or on the sideline itself where only our guys can get it.

This is something that I reeeeeally like for our run-first, explosive-plays offense. Those one-on-one sideline matchups are available a lot because the threat of Lynch keeps defenders in the box. It also demands a physical, speedy secondary both to muscle the redline away from the receiver and to cover the distance to the sideline in order to provide safety help. Very few secondaries can do all that consistently; the ideal one to do so is already owned by the Seahawks. Hope Jabari Greer's backup is up to the task.

I used to be bugged that Wilson was relying so much on deep balls. Not only was it dicey at the point of the catch, but it demanded more protection from the offensive line. Now I understand better why Seattle thinks they can get away with it. THIS is the WR template that PC/JS have been following, or at least part of it, and they've done a great job at it. Rice, Tate, Baldwin, even Kearse and Lockette - all of them solid to brilliant at beating the jam and owning the redline (It's another reason I suspect we'll see Rice again next year - replay this season with our starting tackles and I guarantee he produces more.)

Now, imagine what Harvin's presence will do for this. He isn't here to open things up for just Lynch. His work between the numbers can only give our guys more opportunities on the redline. And then, when Pete finally, finally finds that big, tall WR he's been looking for since he got here? Tee hee hee. This offense could reach Brady-like proportions of unstoppableness.

Nearpost

Reaction score
Often marvelled at some of our sideline magic. Very interesting piece, thanks.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I have read that piece before. Really gets into their mindset when it comes to those plays. I think Wilson also has one of hte best completion percentages when it comes to throwing the deep ball.

Nearpost

Reaction score
Nice get out of jail free card should the ball be overthrown or tipped.

Edit: should qualify above by stating "tipped by our wide receiver".

Jville

Reaction score
tempDSC_4271--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
...................................Red Line Receivers on the practice field...........................
tempRM2_0775--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
Photo source >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/photo-gallery/Photo-Gallery---Week-13-Wednesday-Practice/4d4401e8-e23c-48e6-be20-35da45f871bb#end[/urltargetblank]