Sando-Wilson the exception-Clayton-Bmax outpractices BB

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think Clayton is spot on when he says the drop off from Browner/Thurmond to Maxwell/Lane is not that much. There is some, but not much. And Maxwell/Lane might be the future here.

hawk45

Reaction score
I think even a pessimist like me finds myself nodding my head at that sentiment. Lane/Maxwell simply haven't looked like garbage when they've been out there or been victimized.

For my definition of victimized, see Marcus Trufant at nickel corner last year. That one weak link was enough to cost us games all by itself (I think it pretty much did cost us the game vs Detroit).

Kaiser

Reaction score
i'm not sure Browner's size ever made up for what he lacks in positional defense. i'd much rather have someone with agility and a better football IQ given the choice. if he loses this appeal, i have no problem showing him the door.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":1cjwghwr said:
I think Clayton is spot on when he says the drop off from Browner/Thurmond to Maxwell/Lane is not that much. There is some, but not much. And Maxwell/Lane might be the future here.

It's not much at all. We saw it first hand last year.

hawk45

Reaction score
Kaiser":31bwfe21 said:
i'm not sure Browner's size ever made up for what he lacks in positional defense. i'd much rather have someone with agility and a better football IQ given the choice. if he loses this appeal, i have no problem showing him the door.

I'm going to stipulate that losing Browner would not be the end of the world. Mainly because Pete and Schneid seem to be able to find system-fits for the defense like it's going out of style.

I would say, though, that aside from a couple of occasions, it was rare to see Browner just torched out there. In fact it seems to me more often we'd see him make some huge physical play (rip a ball out for instance, make a big hit) that would have a large positive impact. So I can't agree that his strengths and fit to the system didn't make up for his shortcomings.

Kelly Jennings, on the other hand, was very agile and always in position. And was beat like a drum over and over again, because his agility and positional defense weren't enough to make up for his lack of height. That's definitely a case of the weaknesses not outweighing the strengths.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Kaiser":3m6vcw47 said:
BB also had a knack for big plays and keeping his head in tough situations. Remember when he slowplayed Cam Newton's option pitch, then stripped the ball from the RB? That play was really the difference in the game. The way he beat the hell out of every singe Redskins receiver was great, and he had a good game vs the Falcons in the playoffs.

BB was a better than average player. There is a lot of dismissive talk this week, but I don't have to diminish his talent to feel better about his absense. His intimidation will be missed.

hawk45

Reaction score
Well said Mojo.

I would add that BB is a better than average player on any team, but on our team he was a very good player. Pro-bowl worthy, certainly.

RockHawk

Reaction score
I agree on BMaxx, but I've seen nothing out of Lane to believe he's the future of anything outside of special teams. That's just my opinion though, and I'm a football idiot.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scottemojo":xvkkjaqz said:
Kaiser":xvkkjaqz said:
BB also had a knack for big plays and keeping his head in tough situations. Remember when he slowplayed Cam Newton's option pitch, then stripped the ball from the RB? That play was really the difference in the game. The way he beat the hell out of every singe Redskins receiver was great, and he had a good game vs the Falcons in the playoffs.

BB was a better than average player. There is a lot of dismissive talk this week, but I don't have to diminish his talent to feel better about his absense. His intimidation will be missed.

I agree. Plus, when he hit somebody it really hurt. He was way better than Thurmond at blowing up screens to his side...not many WRs are blocking this guy easily. He was also a beast in the run game.

Thurmond is willing in both of those areas, but when he throws a big hit, it just isn't the same.

That Patriots game where Browner blew up Welker....you didn't see Welker make much of an impact the rest of the game.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
The thing that is easily overlooked is Lane's and Maxwell's contributions on special teams. While their step up to more reps on D is much needed, who will fill in for them on special teams? Hopefully we're as deep on ST as we are in the secondary. Lane and Maxwell did an admiral job last season stepping up on D when called upon. Not worried at all about them at all. However, ST is very important and doing very, very well this season. Hopefully they step up as well.

Seafan

Reaction score
hawk45":g8xu3p6c said:
Kaiser":g8xu3p6c said:

I'm going to stipulate that losing Browner would not be the end of the world. Mainly because Pete and Schneid seem to be able to find system-fits for the defense like it's going out of style.

I would say, though, that aside from a couple of occasions, it was rare to see Browner just torched out there. In fact it seems to me more often we'd see him make some huge physical play (rip a ball out for instance, make a big hit) that would have a large positive impact. So I can't agree that his strengths and fit to the system didn't make up for his shortcomings.

Kelly Jennings, on the other hand, was very agile and always in position. And was beat like a drum over and over again, because his agility and positional defense weren't enough to make up for his lack of height. That's definitely a case of the weaknesses not outweighing the strengths.
Jennings is the same height as Thurmond. It's not height. He just wasn't a good at making plays.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
OLYhawks":2le0duem said:
The thing that is easily overlooked is Lane's and Maxwell's contributions on special teams. While their step up to more reps on D is much needed, who will fill in for them on special teams? Hopefully we're as deep on ST as we are in the secondary. Lane and Maxwell did an admiral job last season stepping up on D when called upon. Not worried at all about them at all. However, ST is very important and doing very, very well this season. Hopefully they step up as well.
This is the Seahawks my friend. Being a starter does not exempt from specials.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
DeShawn Shead might be that intimidating factor we are looking for on the field and on special teams. One can always hope.

But as much as i am upset at Browner did getting himself in this position, i can only admire his toughness and big play ability. Brandon Browner has had more big plays than Babs every did. The guy is just flat out amazing when it comes to the big hit, the strip, forcing a play or getting the the turnover at the most opportune times.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":13ytius5 said:

Another gold star post from Scotte.

RockHawk":13ytius5 said:
I agree on BMaxx, but I've seen nothing out of Lane to believe he's the future of anything outside of special teams. That's just my opinion though, and I'm a football idiot.

I feel the same. But man oh man, what a special teams player Lane is.

Paschtorian

Reaction score
The key to the Seahawks' DB's success was always the way they man-handled WRs at the line. Disrupt their route-running and timing, and let the D-line take down the QB.

Seems they've lost that (of late), which I find quite curious. Even Sherman is giving (way) more ground at the snap than the last two years.

I say a lot more "press" at the line. If the replacement CBs can bring back it at the line (every play), life will be a LOT easier for them as they transition into being Browner's replacement.

Shame.

Great player (and a "founder" of the Legion of Boom),..........but what a dumbass.