Sherman is NFC Defensive Player of the Week!

pmedic920

Reaction score
hezaru2y.jpg

Found online. I take no credit.

wyliecat

Reaction score
Nice job Sherm, had to get my first post in somewhere.

jblaze

Reaction score
With as much pub as the defense is getting this year and the amazing stats they're putting up, this may have put Sherman over Thomas in the DPOY conversation.

Sherman talks quite a bit and the media pays attention to that which could help his cause as opposed to a quiet guy like Thomas who is more appreciated by purists and people who fundamentally understand defense more.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":34h2rmzg said:
Funny, quite a few people have been acting like he has had a bad year or something. Do your thing Sherm!
He has had fewer opportunities. He's being targeted an average of 3.9 times per game right now. Last year? 5.4 times per game. (Regular season.)

He is deflecting fewer passes on a percentage basis, though. He also has not forced a fumble this year, but he forced three last year. He's averaging more interceptions per target, but overall his stats are a little down in 2013. The fact that he's forcing fewer throws to him doesn't show up on stat sheets, however, and is important. Offensive coordinators are game planning more for (against/away from) him this year.

Realistically, Sherman's having a better year when all things are considered. It won't be seen on the stat sheet, though.

HawkWow

Reaction score
His deflection of Manning's pass to Earl defined Sherm's rare combination of intelligence and athleticism. Shock and awe. A little shout out here to Jim Harbaugh for his hand in the defensive wonderment that is Richard Sherman. Thanks Jimbo!

HawaiiD

Reaction score
I feel Byron Maxwell should have gotten it... Anyways congrats Sherman.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawaiiD":3kum682j said:
I feel Byron Maxwell should have gotten it... Anyways congrats Sherman.
Considering his limited action in the NFL to date, there's a strong case to be made for it. However, Sherman deflected another pass in the most key part of the field (end zone) that got intercepted by Thomas, and it was an intentional deflection to try and get it picked off, not just the regular batted pass.

Sherman's more deserving this week, I think.