Sometimes I like stats

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Stats fun for tonight.......

Interesting..... Stats shows that the Seahawks and Broncos are tied in Rushing yards allowed on the season at 1626. However, the Seahawks have given up only 4 TD's on the ground, while the Broncos have given way to 15, yes 15 rushing TD's.

In Passing yards, it is so totally opposite.

Seattle has help opponents to #1 rated 2752 yards and 16 TD's while collecting 28 int's, while Denver's mighty 27th rated passing D yielded 4092 yards, 29 TD and collected only 17 ints.

I'd be interested (I can't believe I'm saying this) to hear what DVOA has to say about these defenses.

Dtowers

Reaction score
That rushing stat is misconstrued for Denver. Teams don't run on them very much because they are usually behind and trying to make up points.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I can see your point, if it were correct. But they are separated by 2 attempts. So your point is kinda moot. Darn, I actually was hoping you were correct.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
15 rushing TDs when almost every team spent most of the game throwing to try and catch up? That's horrible.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Dtowers":15k4qdzg said:
That rushing stat is misconstrued for Denver. Teams don't run on them very much because they are usually behind and trying to make up points.

It works both ways, Broncos offense might dictate the way teams attack their defense.

But the Seahawks league best Passing D also forces to teams to run on the Seahawks for production at times.

With that said, Broncos and Seahawks have very similar run defenses, save the Seahawks allowed 11 less TDs on 2 more attempts.

Seahawks Rushing Defense:

422 Rush Plays Defended, 1626 Rushing Yards and 4 TDs Allowed (3.9 Y/C)

Broncos Rushing Defense:

420 Rush Plays Defended, 1626 Rushing Yards and 15 TDs Allowed (3.9 Y/C)

Passing Defense Numbers are above in the OP but I want to add.

Passing Defense Completions Allowed/ Attempts:

Broncos: 357/613 = 58.1%
Seahawks: 309/ 524 = 58.9%

Similar completion rates but Broncos give up 12.2 Yards Per Catch, Seahawks give up 9.9 Y/C.

Seahawks have 11 more interceptions despite having 89 less opportunities. Seahawks INT% is 5.3% and Broncos is 2.8%.

Seahawks have given up 13 less TDs with only 48 less completions. Seahawks TD% = 3.1%, Broncos = 4.7%.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
per DVOA, Denver is 1st in passing offense. NO was 3rd, SF 4th, but it didn't do them any good vs the LOB, which was 1st in passing defense. Denver is 21st in passing defense. Seattle is 8th in passing offense. So we should be able to pass better than they will.

In the rushing game, however, Seattle is 7th in rushing offense and Denver is 10th. So both teams can run the ball. On defense, Seattle is 8th in stopping the run and Denver is 9th. So both have good run stopping defenses. Yet, again, Seattle has the advantage, albeit only a slight one.

Seattle ranks 3rd in special teams where Denver ranks 13th, but weighted DVOA ranks Denver 28th. Either way, again advantage Seattle.

DYAR is commonly used to measure how good the WR corps is, however, it is slanted towards gross yardage, etc. So a team that passes a lot racks up a higher DYAR for its receivers. DVOA measures how well the receiver does per play. If both receivers were in identical offenses, the higher DVOA receiver would have higher DYAR. Seattle doesn't pass as much as Denver does so all Denvers receivers have higher DYAR. But Baldwin has a higher DVOA than Thomas, Kearse higher than Decker and Tate higher than Welker. Meaning we have the actual better receivers, we just don't use them as much.

Given that our greatest advantage is our 8th ranked passing offense vs their 21st ranked pass defense, I think our WR's should have a much better day than theirs will. Unlike the SF game, where whoever won the rushing game would most likely win the game, I think Wilson will have a much better day than Lynch and our passing game will beat Denver's.

What could derail us? The usual suspects. Our pass protection ranked dead last in DVOA. Denvers pass pro ranked 1st. Our pass rush ranked 7th, Denvers ranked 21st. This is surprising considering Seattle had 44 sacks and Denver 41, but it measures hits, etc. However, teams like Houston and SF had bad pass rushes per DVOA and we all saw what kind of pressure they brought on our 32nd ranked pass protection. Bringing pressure on Manning will be much harder than bringing pressure on Wilson. Definite advantage to Denver. That may well offset our passing advantage.

If I were Denver, I'd be stacking the box to fill all the gaps to stop Lynch while allowing the front 7 to put relentless pressure on Wilson. The only way for us to win that battle is for our WR's to get open quickly. Against their crappy secondary, we can do that, but only if Wilson steps up in the pocket and doesn't scramble as much as he's used to doing.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle is a 58% favorite to win the Big Game according to FO's calculations.

themunn

Reaction score
Two comments Salish:

"Given that our greatest advantage is our 8th ranked passing offense vs their 21st ranked pass defense, I think our WR's should have a much better day than theirs will. Unlike the SF game, where whoever won the rushing game would most likely win the game, I think Wilson will have a much better day than Lynch and our passing game will beat Denver's."

The only teams we faced with worse passing defense were Atlanta, Minnesota, Jacksonville and Houston.
Now, I'm going to scratch the Houston game off (reason given in comment 2 below), and in those other 3, Wilson went 46/65 for 719 yards, 8 TDs and 1 INT for a 140+ QB rating.

Comment 2: Houston did give us fits in pressure (as did SF), but let's remember that we were missing Okung, Unger AND Giacomini for that game (that's why I've scratched it). Denver shouldn't pose anywhere near the problem that either of those teams did. There's not a single player on their defensive roster that worries me.

Dtowers

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":18mb518u said:
I can see your point, if it were correct. But they are separated by 2 attempts. So your point is kinda moot. Darn, I actually was hoping you were correct.

Not all carries are created equal. But keep looking at the stats.