Can we PLEASE defend Russell... Please!

Shock2k

Reaction score
Hey I love my boys up on the line. But no more excuses. No more top 5 defenses.

As I'm looking at stats, I look up postseason QB hits/sacks. And low and behold, even with a dang bye week, We are number 1 in both. 7 sacks, 14 qb hits.

Oh Denver, dead last, 0 sacks, 1 qb hit.

Yes we played a jacked up 49ers D. Which I'm accounting for. No more excuses though this point forward. Let's lock it down.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Vs sf, 4 sacks, 10 hours, 10 hits, . On only 22 drop backs. He was under pressure all the time. I saw egregious missed by the oline and one by Turbin. It was pathetic.

davidonmi

Reaction score
this is the 1 game in the playoffs I've felt the offense needs to put up points.
I believe in Russell, he is not a joke like what denver fans think.
This game is about Russell, the defense got him there, he needs to win it with marshawn

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
You think defenses would be as aggressive if you had like 2 designed Russell Wilson runs a game? I ask seriously.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Shock2k":6x182zj1 said:
You think defenses would be as aggressive if you had like 2 designed Russell Wilson runs a game? I ask seriously.
I have no clue why they didn't have him run vs. NO. It's possible that they felt they could win without it. Against SF I understand with their LB core.
I don't want to ruin our SB on one play but at the same time his legs should be a weapon and they need to be used

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I love Russell ... but there is one thing about him the last few weeks: Gun shy.
He doesn't pull the trigger. I don't see the decisiveness he had a few weeks ago. He refuses to even keep the ball on read-options. We can blame Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, Wilson, Miller all we want. Russell needs to make a decision and let the ball fly once in a while. I think he is too worried about NOT turning the ball over, which is ok.
Also the types of sacks he takes ... they can be avoided. He always escapes to the side ... and teams know it now. He needs to drop back and go forward in the pocket. ...
Anyway .. enough complains from me. I know Russell is working on it as we speak and I'm sure he will bring us the Lombardi in a couple of weeks. I live in Raleigh, NC where Russell played for 3 years. The whole city is excited about the SB. NC is ... Russell Wilson country ...
Go Hawks.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
By the way, RW has the second most sold NFL Jerseys ... only behind Manning. Sherman is in the top 10. Beast Mode is #6.
I think the country is starting to recognize the Hawks.
Kam Chancellor will hit his way into the top 10 after the Superbowl ... I can't wait ...
Go Hawks

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing this post season list. I'd wager the top half features more NFC teams than AFC.

also, we had a bye week but the teams who lost on wild card weekend and the panthers only played one game.

not disagreeing or disputing. Just observing.

plyka

Reaction score
Ugh!!!

Sacks are not 100% about the oline. In fact, they are not even 50% about the oline. Our oline is playing perfectly fine. They haven't struggled for 6 weeks.

What's the problem? Well, scheme and QB play. I love Wilson. He is incredible and only in his 2nd year. By year 4-5, he will be top 3 QB in the league in my opinion. However, one of his major weak points is his holding on to the ball for far too long. It doesn't matter if you have 5 Walter Jones's out there. If the QB holds on to the ball for 4 seconds, there will be tons of sacks. If he holds on to the ball for 2 seconds, like Manning, he will get sacked very little, even if you have 0 Walter Jones's. That's the reality of the situation. Look it up for yourself, Manning holds the ball the least amount of time versus any other QB and Wilson holds the ball the longest or one of the longest, out of any QB.

There are a lot of reasons, experience is a main one. He doesn't have the anticipation throws, he doesn't have the throw a WR open. But worst of all is the scheme and playcalling. When the Hawks scheme for shorter routes, Wilson gets the ball out much quicker and the Hawks have more success. Still take your shots down field, but give Wilson some more short throws / quick reads.

davidonmi

Reaction score
plyka":3it90eaz said:
Ugh!!!

Sacks are not 100% about the oline. In fact, they are not even 50% about the oline. Our oline is playing perfectly fine. They haven't struggled for 6 weeks.
What's the problem? Well, scheme and QB play. I love Wilson. He is incredible and only in his 2nd year. By year 4-5, he will be top 3 QB in the league in my opinion. However, one of his major weak points is his holding on to the ball for far too long. It doesn't matter if you have 5 Walter Jones's out there. If the QB holds on to the ball for 4 seconds, there will be tons of sacks. If he holds on to the ball for 2 seconds, like Manning, he will get sacked very little, even if you have 0 Walter Jones's. That's the reality of the situation. Look it up for yourself, Manning holds the ball the least amount of time versus any other QB and Wilson holds the ball the longest or one of the longest, out of any QB.

There are a lot of reasons, experience is a main one. He doesn't have the anticipation throws, he doesn't have the throw a WR open. But worst of all is the scheme and playcalling. When the Hawks scheme for shorter routes, Wilson gets the ball out much quicker and the Hawks have more success. Still take your shots down field, but give Wilson some more short throws / quick reads.
I agree the sacks are more than the Oline but I don't know how anyone who watched that first half could say the Oline was fine, they were awful. But that hasn't been a huge problem as of late as u said, so I'll chalk it up to playing the best front seven in football

Anthony!

Reaction score
davidonmi":3qduti8i said:
this is the 1 game in the playoffs I've felt the offense needs to put up points.
This game is about Russell, the defense got him there, he needs to win it with marshawn

Well first I also believe in RW but he needs his o-line to do their job, note 2 the defense did not get us there, Last I checked Rw led several comeback drives to give us the lead in 4th qtrs. and it win us games so yes the defense was part of it but so to was RW.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
Hawknballs":5aefrpii said:
I'd be interested in seeing this post season list. I'd wager the top half features more NFC teams than AFC.

also, we had a bye week but the teams who lost on wild card weekend and the panthers only played one game.

not disagreeing or disputing. Just observing.

It's a fair point. The colts were #2.

My main point is though, by FO.com we have the worst past protecting offensive line in the league. Now we go up against the 19th ranked defense. That team that put up 150 points in 3 games is still this team. It's time. It's time to go in a really close the hell out of a game.

I want carnage, I want destruction, I want 1 TD each form Baldwin, Kearse, and Tate. I want a 100 yard run back by Harvin. I want a rushing TD by Russell. And of course Marshawns normal 2 TD's. Hmmm... That's 42 points. Ok, sure, 42 points.

And no sacks! No QB hits!

Oh hell. Let's face it. They told Russell, "Sorry man, no more 2012 Wilson. We need you to throw no interceptions under any circumstances, and become a pocket passer. Which means no rushes. Teams are going to catch on to this, and for a while you are going to just get killed in the pocket. But trust us, in 2 years this will all be much better."

Anthony!

Reaction score
joeseahawks":247unsuz said:
I love Russell ... but there is one thing about him the last few weeks: Gun shy.
He doesn't pull the trigger. I don't see the decisiveness he had a few weeks ago. He refuses to even keep the ball on read-options. We can blame Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, Wilson, Miller all we want. Russell needs to make a decision and let the ball fly once in a while. I think he is too worried about NOT turning the ball over, which is ok.
Also the types of sacks he takes ... they can be avoided. He always escapes to the side ... and teams know it now. He needs to drop back and go forward in the pocket. ...
Anyway .. enough complains from me. I know Russell is working on it as we speak and I'm sure he will bring us the Lombardi in a couple of weeks. I live in Raleigh, NC where Russell played for 3 years. The whole city is excited about the SB. NC is ... Russell Wilson country ...
Go Hawks.

HE is not gun shy he is being told to not take chances and not have turn overs. HE has also been told not to keep the ball as much because teams have been gunning for running QBs. As to sacks he needs his o-lien to block and his WR to get open that will take care of the sacks. This gets old, we know the WR do not get open and the o-line does not black well, and the play calling is stale but we need Rw to do more> really how about the others do their jobs.

Anthony!

Reaction score
plyka":8slk1egk said:
Ugh!!!

Yeah I call BS even the announcers were saying the o-line was bad period.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
Anthony!":1jruoe1z said:
plyka":1jruoe1z said:
Ugh!!!

Ya, sorry, you can say it's better defenses with elite pass rushers. But at the end of the day it's line play. You want proof, watch the NE/Denver game. Look how much time Manning has in the pocket. Are the some other factors, sure. Lining up in empty, seeing the blitz coming and not doing an audible to change your protection was just a bad idea with an obvious result.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Anthony!":3hqm3qq9 said:
davidonmi":3hqm3qq9 said:

Well first I also believe in RW but he needs his o-line to do their job, note 2 the defense did not get us there, Last I checked Rw led several comeback drives to give us the lead in 4th qtrs. and it win us games so yes the defense was part of it but so to was RW.

This line is better than the line RW had this time last year (back when he was magical). All lines let QBs down. Some more frequently than others and RW does spend a significant amount of time running for his life but that's on him and his unwillingness / inability to step up into pocket, as much as it is the O-line.

Further, when the line does give him time, he needs to make the most of it. Not freeze as Tate flashes across the middle, wide open for a potential big gain. Instead, getting the happy feet and running around like he's on fire. I know it is impossible for you to see this, and you will again label me a fake fan or Troll, but Wilson has digressed and Bevell and Pete are doing what they can until he gets it back together. It has been a very long year for our sophomore QB.

Rewatch the @ STL game alone, then ask yourself if it's not possible he's a bit shell shocked? Hell yes he is. And he's become gun shy and unwilling to run for easy 1st downs, instead opting for low percentage miracle passes that turn into miracle completions because of these "garbage receivers" you constantly bag on.

Do you seriously believe Bevell or Pete is telling Wilson "never, ever run the ball"? Not a chance. They would have drafted Foles, a guy that can see over the line and step up into the pocket, if they didn't plan on using Wilson's legs.

I have no concerns about Wilson in the long term. He works too hard and is too good of a kid (and talent) to not achieve greatness, but today he is struggling. Am I unhappy with Wilson? Hell no. Like yourself I love the kid. He's everything great about sports and he's our QB. At this point, I'd still rather lose with Wilson than win with his replacement. You dance with the date that brung ya'...even when acknowledging she has a fat ass.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Bevel needs to re design his RO plays to account for the spy. I know he has been busy interviewing for other jobs but he needs to spend some time doing the one he already has.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
Russell needs to do those runs to set up those little roll-outs where he fires the ball just before he crosses the line of scrimmage. The runs set up the opposing defense to over-pursue and leave a wide-out open, and those line of scrimmage throws tempt the defense to back off, opening running lanes. If Russell does not run part of the time on those plays ... the defense gets wise and the receivers are always covered.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Shock2k":38s1edbg said:
Anthony!":38s1edbg said:
plyka":38s1edbg said:
Ugh!!!

Yea, if you're talking about the Skuta sack, I was screaming "it's coming off the right side, watch it" at the TV and sure enough, it was too easy.

Now, is that on Wilson for not seeing that ? It's the QBs responsibility to recognize the blitz and check protection, or hit his hot read. Sometimes you can't block a stunt, like that one. The Stealers are also a team that overloads one side and makes you figure it out.

I'd agree the OL has been garbage. Usually you get one guy getting blown up in the middle, forcing Wilson to race around. I also agree that he seems hesitant at times. He's also missing a lot of easy reads: is this due to poor protection, just missing open guys, or WRs not being where they're supposed to be ? I hesitate to blame the WRs: they've been around for a while, they've all been healthy and should all know the offense inside and out.

I don't know if Pete has straight up told Wilson not to run. Running Read Option plays seems counterproductive if the QB never keeps the ball, and yet we've all seen wide open lanes for Wilson to run and he hasn't taken it. I can't help but think that Pete trusts Wilson to run as he very rarely takes any hits; he'll slide down and leave 2-3 yards on the field to avoid a hit. Wilson gets beat up way more in the pocket.

Ya, sorry, you can say it's better defenses with elite pass rushers. But at the end of the day it's line play. You want proof, watch the NE/Denver game. Look how much time Manning has in the pocket. Are the some other factors, sure. Lining up in empty, seeing the blitz coming and not doing an audible to change your protection was just a bad idea with an obvious result.

Latest posts