Steven Hauschka makes a great decision

ivotuk

Reaction score
He deserves a lot of credit for taking that responsibility upon himself. It must be tough as a player to tell your coach that he's making the wrong decision and that you know better. Huge kudos to Hauschka for making that decision.

I think this also reflects well on how good of a Head Coach Pete Carroll is, he leaves open lines of communication with his players and gives them the power to make suggestions. That and the importance PC/JS places on Special Teams.

I believe that in most cases a kicker would just go out there and give it a try, glad we don't have "one of those guys" at such an important position on this team.

"You have to be honest with yourself," he said. "It was the wind at that moment. Sometimes you can make that, but I felt the wind at that moment was into the face enough to not want to try that kick. I grabbed him on the sideline as I ran out because I could see the flags (on top of the uprights) and I told him: 'We shouldn't kick this.'"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -53yard-fg

Edit: Went back a few pages and found MidwestHawker's post on this topic which also has some good points.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87329

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd heard that he didn't want to kick it. Apparently, he didn't do well in pre-game at a similar kick. Kudos.

The whole lining up for the field goal and him standing around was one of the weirdest plays I've ever seen, though. :)

Latest posts