Everyone's Missing The Matchup

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So far all we've heard about is #1 offense vs. #1 defense, blah blah blah............

The matchup we should be focusing on is not our D vs. Manning, it's whether our offense can move the ball against Denver's improved D.

- can Bevell figure out a way to get Beast Mode rolling when Denver is going to commit heavily to stopping the run
- can Russell be sharp and accurate with the quick slants and sideline timing routes
- can Percy keep Denver's DB's honest and allow some space for our TE's and other WR's to make plays
- can we hit on a couple explosive plays

IMO THESE are the things that will decide the game, not whether our defense can stop Manning. Manning is going to get his, and probably score 21-24 pts. So the question is can our offense control the clock and be efficient enough in the Red Zone to score more than 24 pts.

What say you? Can we?

kidhawk

Reaction score
I've been saying this for awhile now. Our Defense ranks at the top, as does their offense, but when you turn it around, we have a top 10 offense, but they have a bottom 10 defense. This is where he hold an edge. I think special teams is a draw statistically, but Harvin, not only gives us an extra edge on offense, but also on Special Teams. Even if you call the #1's a draw against each other, we still hold the advantage by having better match ups on offense and special teams. I MIGHT be a little bias though :D

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The 8th rated offense just added Percy Harvin, and it will be the least talked about game changer this week. And a top 5 special teams just added Harvin as kick returner, though with Prater I don't know how much that will matter, unless the wind is a factor for kickers.

Anyone who watches the New Orleans game will see just how much different the offense was with and without Harvin.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":32leauuw said:
If our O-line can find some way to give Wilson just a bit more time than they have at most points this season, he should be able to pick that Broncos secondary apart.

They should, because Denver's front seven is nowhere near the quality of the team's we've been playing down the stretch that have given our pass protection problems.

I am a little nervous about Russell. I understand he's poised beyond his years, but the fact is he's still just a 2nd year QB AND he did have some nervous jitters against the Niners with two snap exchanges and the high handoff to Lynch down by the goal. I don't care what anyone says, that was nerves.......even Bevell said as much on during his interview last week.

We just can't have any of that Sunday.

Largent80

Reaction score
Field position is another variable. Since we have the #1 ST in the league, I believe this to be very important.

In reality, it is all the previously mentioned things combined, not just one or the other.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2rpbbh78 said:
If our O-line can find some way to give Wilson just a bit more time than they have at most points this season, he should be able to pick that Broncos secondary apart.
That's why we HAVE Wilson. He buys his own time.

I'm confident that Seattle will put up more than 23 points against that Denver D. I'm thinking 34. I don't think Denver will put up 34 against our D however.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Scottemojo":u5ilmg2e said:
The 8th rated offense just added Percy Harvin, and it will be the least talked about game changer this week. And a top 5 special teams just added Harvin as kick returner, though with Prater I don't know how much that will matter, unless the wind is a factor for kickers.

Anyone who watches the New Orleans game will see just how much different the offense was with and without Harvin.

Re: Prater...I wonder what his touchback percentage at home at 5280 feet is compared to sea level.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I agree completely.. our offense vs. their defense will determine the winner. And I fully expect us to play our best offensive game of the year. Denver's defense offers a lot of generous matchups in our favor.. especially with Von Miller and Chris Harris being out

purpleworld

Reaction score
This is the game to bring back the Read-Option in full force....there is no tomorrow!

sam1313

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39x9j5a1 said:
volsunghawk":39x9j5a1 said:

They should, because Denver's front seven is nowhere near the quality of the team's we've been playing down the stretch that have given our pass protection problems.

I am a little nervous about Russell. I understand he's poised beyond his years, but the fact is he's still just a 2nd year QB AND he did have some nervous jitters against the Niners with two snap exchanges and the high handoff to Lynch down by the goal. I don't care what anyone says, that was nerves.......even Bevell said as much on during his interview last week.

I kind of agree. But Wilson also recognized the off-sides and then through that 35 yard perfect pass to Kearse on 4th and 7. the kid is money when it gets right down to it, he will be there and he will be ready for this game. There will be some mistakes - but they will be less important than the ones Manning makes because our of our Defense. Have faith in #3...

plyka

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18ku01ir said:
So far all we've heard about is #1 offense vs. #1 defense, blah blah blah............

The matchup we should be focusing on is not our D vs. Manning, it's whether our offense can move the ball against Denver's improved D.

- can Bevell figure out a way to get Beast Mode rolling when Denver is going to commit heavily to stopping the run
- can Russell be sharp and accurate with the quick slants and sideline timing routes
- can Percy keep Denver's DB's honest and allow some space for our TE's and other WR's to make plays
- can we hit on a couple explosive plays

IMO THESE are the things that will decide the game, not whether our defense can stop Manning. Manning is going to get his, and probably score 21-24 pts. So the question is can our offense control the clock and be efficient enough in the Red Zone to score more than 24 pts.

What say you? Can we?

Bevell/Pete changed their playcalling against the niners. They became less predictable, they threw on running downs, ran on throwing downs, etc. This tells me that when it came to the time, they upped the risk level they were willing to take. I expect similar in the superbowl.

They also have, surprisingly, the most underrated story of the superbowl --Percy Harvin. In my opinion, the 2nd best player out of both offenses. Peyton is #1, Percy is #2. This is my opinion. Some will say DT from Denver or Lynch/Wilson from the Hawks. But I'm talking about players X% above "replacement level" or average. Lynch and DT have an argument, but Percy is just so explosive. Especially for what the Hawks want to do, and that's explosive plays. He is a player that can easily rack up 250 all purpose yards this game. He can be a HUGE player, and I expect him to be. The Denver defense is not the niners defense, not even the Saints defense. They are MEDIOCRE, yes i said M-E-D-I-O-C-R-E!

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
This is the ultimate chess match. But if our Offense can be efficient and our special team are special we may just be able to pull away in this one. Also what is not talked about much is that I think the Denver receivers tend to drop passing more than most teams, they are 8th in the league at that, this could come to play in this game.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
plyka":3q4kmy4c said:
They also have, surprisingly, the most underrated story of the superbowl --Percy Harvin. In my opinion, the 2nd best player out of both offenses. Peyton is #1, Percy is #2. This is my opinion. Some will say DT from Denver or Lynch/Wilson from the Hawks. But I'm talking about players X% above "replacement level" or average. Lynch and DT have an argument, but Percy is just so explosive. Especially for what the Hawks want to do, and that's explosive plays. He is a player that can easily rack up 250 all purpose yards this game. He can be a HUGE player, and I expect him to be. The Denver defense is not the niners defense, not even the Saints defense. They are MEDIOCRE, yes i said M-E-D-I-O-C-R-E!

I'd like to agree with you with Harvin, but after the Saints game I just can't put that much faith in the guy to remain upright for 60 minutes.

Everything you say is true, but he's nowhere near football shape. Which leaves me no choice but to discount his effectiveness for this game.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1o3m9t57 said:
volsunghawk":1o3m9t57 said:

Wilson did have some struggles/jitters against the Niners, and he still managed to throw the winning TD pass on a crucial 4th and 7.

I believe that while Wilson may show some jitters/nerves in the SB as well, the Broncos defense is much less able to capitalize on any errors he may commit than the Niners D was. I'm not suggesting that the Denver D is a sieve by any stretch, but I imagine our offense will have a much more comfortable time in the SB then they have in the past nearly two months. They've faced an absolutely brutal stretch of defenses.

rjdriver

Reaction score
purpleworld":5d98b719 said:
This is the game to bring back the Read-Option in full force....there is no tomorrow!

Was thinking about this the other day. I watched the Chicago game again recently and I had forgotten how effective the read option was in that game. We had some crucial plays that were read option. Because we have used it sparingly this year, I would like to see it utilized more Sunday.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":6eow8537 said:
I'd like to agree with you with Harvin, but after the Saints game I just can't put that much faith in the guy to remain upright for 60 minutes.

Everything you say is true, but he's nowhere near football shape. Which leaves me no choice but to discount his effectiveness for this game.

Why do people insist on perpetuating nonsense like this? How about you try to take a positive angle on an incredibly good football player, on your own team? Would that hurt you so much to do?

Percy will be a HUGE advantage in this game. Whether or not he has the ball in his hand, whenever he lines up - he is impacting the game in a big way. But maybe we will get lucky and Fox and Co. will think just like you, and have Percy shred them.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":2coahy49 said:
Sgt. Largent":2coahy49 said:

Why do people insist on perpetuating nonsense like this? How about you try to take a positive angle on an incredibly good football player, on your own team? Would that hurt you so much to do?

Percy will be a HUGE advantage in this game. Whether or not he has the ball in his hand, whenever he lines up - he is impacting the game in a big way. But maybe we will get lucky and Fox and Co. will think just like you, and have Percy shred them.

I didn't day Harvin's going to have ZERO effect on this game. Of course just by him being on the field should give us an advantage because it forces Denver to play defense differently.

But sorry, you can't tell me Harvin looked like he was in football shape and acclimated to the speed of playoff football after the Saints game. I saw a very talented player, but a rusty one that wasn't quite ready for playoff football.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Scottemojo":37gfwzau said:

The offense didn't look that much better with Percy Harvin. They still had problems scoring TDs in the redzone and came away with FGs rather than TDs. The offense looked much better against the 49ers without Percy Harvin (especially in the 4th qtr). Now Percy is a great player but he's only one. If the offense hinges on one player....then there will be problems.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":a1acrtch said:
CallMeADawg":a1acrtch said:
Sgt. Largent":a1acrtch said:

I didn't day Harvin's going to have ZERO effect on this game. Of course just by him being on the field should give us an advantage because it forces Denver to play defense differently.

But sorry, you can't tell me Harvin looked like he was in football shape and acclimated to the speed of playoff football after the Saints game. I saw a very talented player, but a rusty one that wasn't quite ready for playoff football.

How did he appear rusty to you. Specifically.

Latest posts