Browner vs Maxwell?

blazen2392

Reaction score
How do you think he's lived up so far?
in terms of coverage, physicallity, and instinct?

I think hes better in all 3 categories. He just worries me sometimes and especially for this game. i've seen him out of coverage a couple of times and i think its due to experience. hopefully playing with sherman kam and earl puts him at the elite level soon.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Maxwell has been better than I could've possibly imagined.

It sure would be nice to have browner too with the amount of 4 and 5 wides Denver does. Luckily Thumond and Lane are far from pushovers.

Axx

Reaction score
maxwell > browner

Browner was a liability in the deep routes

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Browner was better at getting the other receiver out of his game, turning him into a raging lunatic instead of concentrating on running proper routes. His physicality was unmatched by the rest of the CB's when initiating coverage.

Brett

Reaction score
Browner is the other half of Bam Bam Kam They started the BOOM in my opinion.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Two different players.

Browner just b*tchslapped people, but was a bit susceptible to the smaller/quicker receivers.

B Max seems to be a better overall CB, although I do miss the smackdowns Browner used to bring.

I think it's pretty clear they will let Browner walk and move forward with Max.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I haven't noticed a dropoff in our pass defense since Browner went out. If anyone else has, let me know.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Maxwell is the better overall CB, but Browner was more physical.

That doesn't mean Maxwell is soft, because he is very physical for a CB, but Browner wins that category.

Overall I feel more confident with Maxwell out there, though. He is better in coverage.

Brett

Reaction score
In time maybe Maxwell bulks up a bit but browner was much thicker and more physical.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
blazen2392":36u2jlzz said:
How do you think he's lived up so far?
in terms of coverage, physicallity, and instinct?

I think hes better in all 3 categories. He just worries me sometimes and especially for this game. i've seen him out of coverage a couple of times and i think its due to experience. hopefully playing with sherman kam and earl puts him at the elite level soon.
When it comes to player intimidation, I'd take Browner, 10 times out of 10, as I don't think Maxwell is even in that discussion.
Coverage skills Browner was okay, but for the most part, Maxwell is better there.
I would still take Browner over Maxwell for this game though... just my 2cents

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Rookie, Browner (2006): 13 Bench Reps

Rookie, Maxwell (2011): 24 Bench Reps

Give Maxwell an extension and give him a couple of more years to grow into his physicality. He'll be as good as Sherman.

irocdave

Reaction score
Browner was the grizzly old vet that set the tone for the young guys in the secondary the last couple of years. None of the current players had the attitude Browner had. Yea he was a liability some times but man, he made plays by just being nasty and determined. Any one remember him stripping the ball from the RB in Carolina last year? The hit he put on Welker last year? Dude is a bad ass. You watch him in the RRR and he was the leader of the LOB. He set the tone. Would love to have him for this SB, but still not that concerned about the strictly X & O's of replacing him with Thurmond or Lane or Maxwell. Guess what I'm saying is a bit of just nastiness will be missing. Hope the best for him next year, he will make some other team better if he can play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCyi0CzeimY

Mauling the packers receivers last year was his coming out party, clean and nasty. Look for it at the end of the video. Chucky called it "dirty play" but Browner knew it was legal because the QB was out of the pocket. Chucky was wrong, didn't know the rules.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Maxwell is a better starter, if we had browner as a backup we'd be in better shape.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Maxwell's been better overall, just say it for what it is. He's a better pure corner.

Browner was an excellent unique talent that was a hard hitting corner, but he could be beat.

sturg78

Reaction score
Browner still gets a ring right? The team doesn't withhold it cause he is not playing do they?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Doesnt Maxwell have the 2nd lowest QB rating against him with #1 being Sherman. Ill take Maxwell all day

irocdave

Reaction score
Question is, the impact Browner had as line backer sized / mentality tackler will not be on the field. A better cover corner / corners have taken his place but as a cohesive unit is the sum better with out him? I would say no, especially facing a team that hasn't played a D like the Hawks. The reason opposing receivers have T-rex arms is because of the hitting of Kam. Backs started looking for Browner coming out of the backfield, they don't with Sherm or Browners replacement.

Don't get me wrong, the Hawks have the best secondary in the NFL with or without Browner. The opposing receivers fear level is different with out Browner though, no question about it. Browner has the size and pure speed of any SS in the NFL, would have been a great back up for Kam.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Maxwell>Browner

But physicality its Browner>Maxwell. Unless Maxwell toughens up and maybe bulk a little bit. Also work on the coverage a little bit then that dude could be a beast like Sherman.

Monistat

Reaction score
I like them both. Maxwell has indeed earned his spot and a contract extension when the time comes. Switching to another note, isn't Browner a restricted free agent? I'm hoping we are able to tender him for w/e value we wouldn't mind loosing him for and retain him on a cheap contract. Hell even if he sits a year, wouldn't he be eligible for the playoffs next year? Just a thought that is way out there. Could be another "bargain" considering his situation.