Golden Tate or Doug Baldwin

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Now that the season is over.....

I have flipped on this from the start of the season. I don't think we resign Tate.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Way too early to know what we are doing. There are too many options to even worry about who will be cut or re-signed or let go to FA or restructured. Give it a little time for things to settle in. Once Free Agency begins we'll have a better idea the direction the team may be looking to go in

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Once Rice went down, Tate had to line up against the other team's #1 corner most of the year, so comparing the two is hard.

Hopefully both will be back.

CANHawk

Reaction score
After the playoffs, I think Doug's value went up a little and Golden's might have dropped a little, but the price for the pair is probably the same. I think we keep them both. We'll save a ton of money re-structuring Sidney, so I don't expect to see the WR corps change all that much.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kidhawk":3axly51f said:
Way too early to know what we are doing. There are too many options to even worry about who will be cut or re-signed or let go to FA or restructured. Give it a little time for things to settle in. Once Free Agency begins we'll have a better idea the direction the team may be looking to go in

Thanks, but I actually enjoy talking about it/thinking about it. If you don't want to then please don't post.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
CANHawk":1bwk6k2w said:
After the playoffs, I think Doug's value went up a little and Golden's might have dropped a little, but the price for the pair is probably the same. I think we keep them both. We'll save a ton of money re-structuring Sidney, so I don't expect to see the WR corps change all that much.

I think we cut Rice.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
It depends. If we keep rice than Baldwin. IF we get rid of Rice than keep both

drrew

Reaction score
I think Gus Bradley and Jacksonville is a team to watch to pay more than we'd like for one of these two. Outside of Cecil Shorts, they don't have another NFL caliber WR on that roster (I don't count Blackmon due to knuckleheadness).

I'd like to keep both, but with the growth of Kearse this season, I'd be comfortable with Harvin one of Tate/Baldwin, and Kearse as my top three WR.

kidhawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3s4xqdbx said:
kidhawk":3s4xqdbx said:

Thanks, but I actually enjoy talking about it/thinking about it. If you don't want to then please don't post.

So it's ok for you to state your opinion on the subject but now me...got it. I didn't realize before now that is how the board works. Glad to know that you are holier than thou

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Yeah, I think Rice is gone now we have Harvin. Baldwin is Mr. Clutch. Tate is an exciting player and I don't see us letting him go either.

ceej22

Reaction score
I don't think we do either. Really comes down to how much $$$ they want. $2 mill each...I would take that. Any more than that and I think one is gone and likely Tate as Baldwin is an RFA. Going to be some tough decisions for JS/PC this offseason.

jimbojones31

Reaction score
I've also been going over this several times. Straight up, my favourite player of the two? DB. He's clutch, he's more driven, has a bigger chip on his shoulder than Tate and his chemistry with Wilson has improved a ton. However, if Harvin plays a full season, who's snaps is that going to eat into? Probably DB's. So there's less value there with Doug financially. I'd try and re-sign Tate for a cap friendly amount, and try and wrap it up quick. If it can be done then put a 3rd round tender on DB and see what happens. If Tate doesn't want to sign a reasonable deal then re-sign Baldwin and move on from Tate.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
jimbojones31":21d44hk7 said:
I've also been going over this several times. Straight up, my favourite player of the two? DB. He's clutch, he's more driven, has a bigger chip on his shoulder than Tate and his chemistry with Wilson has improved a ton. However, if Harvin plays a full season, who's snaps is that going to eat into? Probably DB's. So there's less value there with Doug financially. I'd try and re-sign Tate for a cap friendly amount, and try and wrap it up quick. If it can be done then put a 3rd round tender on DB and see what happens. If Tate doesn't want to sign a reasonable deal then re-sign Baldwin and move on from Tate.

Baldwin actually gets a 2nd round tender....thats what I remember reading yesterday.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Isn't Baldwin a RFA and Tate a FA? If I have it right, there's the answer. ;)

Happypuppy

Reaction score
We could do both as Baldwin is indeed restricted. However I see Baldwin a better fit. Tate disappears at times. Baldwin can back up in the slot or be a #2 kearse I see as the #2 wide and a tall wide replacing Sidney. I am not ruling him out but I do see him restructuring or cut and brought back perhaps.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I don't think Tate is going to be that expensive to resign. He's not the one other GMs called Schneider about in order to acquire. So we definitely keep Angry Doug Baldwin as an RFA and Tate signs for a very reasonable price. But if it was a hard line, you'd have to go with Chris Carter's worst enemy.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
In 2013 the 1st Rd tender on a RFA was $2.8 Mil
I think we will use the 2nd round tender on Baldwin which was $2.02 Mil last year
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent

Tate on the other hand will likely get high #2 WR money. Looking at recent WR contracts I'd say Tate is about to get $5.5-$7.5 mil per year. I think I'd prefer a 2 yr $13 mil than a 5 year $32.5. That would give us time to draft a solid replacement and he'd get another contract.

Jacoby Jones 2yr $7mil -- avg $3.5 mil per year
Eddie Royal 3yr $13.5 mil -- avg $4.5 mil per year
Josh Morgan 2yr $11.5 mil -- avg $ 5.75 mil per year
Brian Hartline 5yr $30.77 Mil -- avg $6.15 Mil per year
Danny Amendola 5yr $31 Mil -- avg $6.2 Mil per year
Stevie Johnson 5yr $36.4 Mil -- avg $7.28 mil per year
Victor Cruz 6yr $45.89 Mil -- avg $7.4 Mil per year
Santonio Holmes 3yr $25.35 mil -- avg $8.4 mil per year
Pierre Garcon 5yr $42Mil -- avg $8.42 per year
Greg Jennings 5yr $45 mil - avg $9 mil per year
Desean Jackson 5 yr $47 Mil -- avg $9.4 Mil per year

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3cagc2jd said:
In 2013 the 1st Rd tender on a RFA was $2.8 Mil
I think we will use the 2nd round tender which was $2.02 Mil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent

Tate on the other hand will likely get high #2 WR money. Looking at recent WR contracts I'd say Tate is about to get $5.5-$7.5 mil per year. I think I'd prefer a 2 yr $13 mil than a 5 year $32.5. That would give us time to draft a solid replacement and he'd get another contract.

Jacoby Jones 2yr $7mil -- avg $3.5 mil per year
Eddie Royal 3yr $13.5 mil -- avg $4.5 mil per year
Josh Morgan 2yr $11.5 mil -- avg $ 5.75 mil per year
Brian Hartline 5yr $30.77 Mil -- avg $6.15 Mil per year
Danny Amendola 5yr $31 Mil -- avg $6.2 Mil per year
Stevie Johnson 5yr $36.4 Mil -- avg $7.28 mil per year
Victor Cruz 6yr $45.89 Mil -- avg $7.4 Mil per year
Santonio Holmes 3yr $25.35 mil -- avg $8.4 mil per year
Pierre Garcon 5yr $42Mil -- avg $8.42 per year
Greg Jennings 5yr $45 mil - avg $9 mil per year
Desean Jackson 5 yr $47 Mil -- avg $9.4 Mil per year

I dont think Tate is worth more than 4-5 million. Hes a role player.