Can Russel Wilson become an Elite pocket passer?

blazen2392

Reaction score
Do you think Russel will eventually join the ranks of Aaron rodger, drew brees, manning, and Brady?
its so hard for me to judge how he will progress because he isn't asked to make to many plays in the pocket.

Sac

Reaction score
He already is. Limited attempts are the only thing holding his stats back, but that's just the offensive philosophy.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Russell Wilson IS an elite passer from the pocket. What makes you believe he isn't one? Because he doesn't throw the ball 40 times?
I know, the National Media thinks he is a game manager. The other team fans believe, we win ONLY because of our defense.
Wilson2 576x422

Seriously, what else do we need to see? Yea, he struggled for a few games ... which player didn't struggle? Did you watch Brady or Manning? can you look up Brady's first SB numbers? Check them out you will be shocked how average he was.

NCstateHAWK3

Reaction score
I honestly believe when it is all said and done, Russell Wilson will be labeled the best Quarterback to ever play the position!!

blkhwk

Reaction score
I think you will see RW progress much like Tom Brady did in his first couple of years. Brady had a much better defense and running game than he has had in the previous few years and has had to produce more.

I think as time goes on, you will see this offense open up more, probably because of the defense not being as dominant as right now (looking three-four years down the road). Also who knows how much tread Lynch has on his tires. I could really see a much more "open" concept to the offense in the next few years.

Everyone has said it will be difficult to keep the defense together, one of the ways to compensate for that will be with a more dynamic offense, scoring more points (much like the Pats who also are lead by a defensive minded HC).

Just an opinion.

Penman96

Reaction score
Russ isn't an elite anything yet, he has a lot to learn about being an NFL QB. Carroll certainly expects a lot more progress.

About being a pocket passer, I think he can be great in the pocket but excellent outside of the pocket as well. He'll want to maintain the threat of scrambling. It seems like the days of the true NFL pocket passer are numbered, QB's like Wilson offer more options.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I think he'll be there in year 4 or 5. Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees are currently the only four elite quarterbacks in the league.

Wilson, Luck, and a few others are next tier.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. RW brings so much that will never show up as a stat.
We know what/who he is. The rest of the world will know sooner or later. Who he gets compared to, or grouped with, matters not.
Least the way I see it.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I dont know what his pocket stats were this year but in his rookie year he had a 102.8 QB rating with 22 TD and 8Int inside the pocket. I dont know if that is ELITE or not but its ok with me

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It took me a moment to figure out why RG3 wasn't on that graph since he finished his rookie year with a slightly higher passer rating than DangeRuss, then I realized he missed a game and that graph says QBs who started all games, lol.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Watch him again in the SuperBowl. ie when he has time to throw. He was spectacular. He is a great passer who can run.

Do you mean when is he going to put up high fantasy stats? When we don't have the beast and the LOB and a better OLine.

Check out his stats IN the pocket.

kearly

Reaction score
I think he is already, but it's masked by an OL that gets overmatched against some of the elite defenses in our conference and division. The interior as a whole took a step back this year, particularly Unger and McQuistan. Sweezy had anchoring issues too. With Unger and Sweezy taking massive steps backward as run blockers, you wonder if Seattle will abandon the idea of smaller/quicker blockers in favor of pure size the way the 49ers have.

Thing about Wilson, he is effected more by a collapsing interior pocket than most QBs because of his need for throwing lanes. Get bodies in his face and he will not throw. Brees is a similar case- there's a reason why the Saints have spent some pretty big resources over the years at guard.

As much as I like Sweezy I am reserved to the fact that his future might be as a fullback, h-back, blocking tight end or jumbo package guy. His anchor against the bull rush just isn't good enough for a QB like Wilson, and I don't see much reason why he would improve in that area. I would love to see him get more reps at fullback / h-back this next preseason. Sweezy on the move is pure seek and destroy.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Penman96":f8cuogen said:
Russ isn't an elite anything yet, he has a lot to learn about being an NFL QB. Carroll certainly expects a lot more progress. (Emphasis added.)
Where do people come up with this stuff!!

Please present you argument for... "he has a lot to learn about being an NFL QB".

And please provide a link for... "Carroll certainly expects a lot more progress". I follow the team closely and I have never heard Pete say or suggest anything along these lines.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
I am amazed at these weird expectations, so he doesn't stay in the pocket and throw 40 times a game.... Is the offense not scoring at all or something? He has passing touchdowns, rushing touchdowns shuffle passes that have been ran for touchdowns (actually just one of those). Too many people are limiting what a QB can do if you insist that he must stay in the pocket to be an elite QB. Russell and others like him will change the way QB's are evaluated. He is one hell of an awesome QB enough said.

Hawks46

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":11a49zxb said:
It took me a moment to figure out why RG3 wasn't on that graph since he finished his rookie year with a slightly higher passer rating than DangeRuss, then I realized he missed a game and that graph says QBs who started all games, lol.

Yea that got me too.

As to Hawkstrap's post, yea I agree. THere are times, like NO and Denver where he had a clean pocket and has amazing accuracy and throws to all parts of the field. When he's in trouble and being pressured within 3 seconds, he either bails from the pocket or throws to the hash/sidelines.

I don't fault him because he's so damned good out of the pocket, he bails a bit earlier than a guy like Brady or Manning who's only option is to slide around in the pocket. I would like to see him find more open WRs though...he missed a lot this year and I know a lot of that is on the OL; but if I had one thing to fault him in his rookie year, it was missing open reads. He didn't get much of a chance to work on that this year, but the great thing about Wilson is that he'll go into next year looking at what he can improve.

That guy is never satisfied with a performance, which is why I'm not worried about all the pundits who claimed NFL defenses would "figure him out" this year.

themunn

Reaction score
If Tom Brady is elite, why does he only have 3 seasons with a 100+ QB rating?

Because he tilts the field

Russell Wilson tilts the field. He is an elite QB. And he's better than Brady is right now

jlwaters1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":31tm97u4 said:
themunn said:
If Tom Brady is elite, why does he only have 3 seasons with a 100+ QB rating?

Because he tilts the field

Russell Wilson tilts the field. He is an elite QB. And he's better than Brady is right now[/quote

I don't get the "he's not elite anything " ridiculousness. he's the only QB in the history of the league with 100+ QB ratings for each of his first seasons. he's one of 3 QBs in league history to have 50+ tds in their first 2 seasons. that IS ELITE.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Just watch what the guy's going to do with his #1 and #2 receivers next year. You thought he put up decent numbers this year throwing to #3, #4, and #5 guys, just wait 'til he gets all of them back, and with a year's maturity and understanding of the game.