Seahawks add OL Greg Van Roten

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting. Another Packer lineman.

Another multi-position backup.

Another guy that sees the field in 6 OL heavy packages.

The last 4 signings are those coming off injury and having something to prove.

His size invites a look at center.

Utilized on special teams.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Played a lot at left guard it looks like. I would say thats the position that needs the most improvement. Not hard to see why we signed him. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes Mcquistans spot or possibly even Carpenters.

Jville

Reaction score
According to his agent, the Packers wanted to get bigger at his position.

Van Roten, who was listed at 6-foot-3 and 303 pounds, was actually up to 315 pounds last season before he injured his foot in Week 5. That would have made him the biggest center on the roster.

[urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/7476/starter-pack-more-questions-at-center[/urltargetblank]

Exittium

Reaction score
So they want to get bigger? So they figure if they can get really big Oline it will offset our pass rushers? Hehe.. Okay so we might see how GB is going, Eitherway this dude will have to compete to get a spot.

Jville

Reaction score
The 6-foot-3, 303-pound lineman was being groomed as a possible candidate to start at center for the Packers. He played left tackle in college at the University of Pennsylvania but moved inside to center and guard when he signed with the Packers on July 25, 2012.

Van Roten could be following a similar path to Seahawks right tackle Breno Giacomini, who was a fifth-round pick of the Packers in 2008. Giacomini played two seasons for the Packers before being released at the end of the 2010 training camp, only two be re-signed to the practice squad. The Seahawks signed Giacomini to their active roster less than a month later, and he became a full-time starter in 2012.
[urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/tag/_/name/greg-van-roten[/urltargetblank]

lsheldon

Reaction score
He's still young. If there's anything there Seattle's coaching staff will find it if he can stay healthy.

Jville

Reaction score
Speaking of staying healthy, the team has been trending toward keeping their linemen signings under 6'-5".

140214-van-roten-600.jpg
[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Seahawks-sign-former-Packers-guard-Greg-Van-Roten/1c5f376b-7a0a-4523-95ea-c73b92fac9a1[/urltargetblank]

randomation

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2yft5kbs said:
Here's a draft profile even though he was undrafted. Looks as if if he's bulked up some.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=OG

I've been noticing the team is leaning towards shorter OLinemen with l--o--n--g arms. Maybe this is so RW can see over them better.

RW has no issue seeing over people go back and watch him play at Wisconsin line average height is 6'6 plus don't let espn get you to start worrying about that. We often have lines bigger then or on par with the nfl average.

Jville

Reaction score
randomation":8953y6j1 said:
jammerhawk":8953y6j1 said:
Here's a draft profile even though he was undrafted. Looks as if if he's bulked up some.

I've been noticing the team is leaning towards shorter OLinemen with l--o--n--g arms. Maybe this is so RW can see over them better.

RW has no issue seeing over people go back and watch him play at Wisconsin line average height is 6'6 plus don't let espn get you to start worrying about that. We often have lines bigger then or on par with the nfl average.

Pad level has been an issue.

I expect it to be a heighten point of emphasis at OTAs and training camp. All of last season's starters were 6'-5" in height or more. So far ..... the backups and challengers are all around 6'-3". That gives challengers a slight edge in center of gravity. There is no down side to pushing the starters.

Lower body flexibility, knee bend and pad level may be more heavily weighted in who goes and who stays at the end of August.

I'm looking for improvement.

sutz

Reaction score
Jville":290p1tzo said:
randomation":290p1tzo said:
jammerhawk":290p1tzo said:

I expect it to be a heighten point of emphasis at OTAs and training camp. All of last season's starters were 6'-5" in height or more. So far ..... the backups and challengers are all around 6'-3". That gives challengers a slight edge in center of gravity. There is no down side to pushing the starters.

Lower body flexibility, knee bend and pad level may be more heavily weighted in who goes and who stays at the end of August.

Yeah, I'm thinking leverage here. Shorter guys can get their pads lower, by definition. Its not only about size, it's about technique and using one's advantages. In Judo, being big is not necessarily an advantage. I remember Chuck Darby from a few years back. He was a decent (no, I didn't say great) DT, even though he was only 6'0".

Jville

Reaction score
sutz":1qg9ajd1 said:
Jville":1qg9ajd1 said:
randomation":1qg9ajd1 said:
jammerhawk":1qg9ajd1 said:

Yeah, I'm thinking leverage here. Shorter guys can get their pads lower, by definition. Its not only about size, it's about technique and using one's advantages. In Judo, being big is not necessarily an advantage. I remember Chuck Darby from a few years back. He was a decent (no, I didn't say great) DT, even though he was only 6'0".

Darby ended up playing 9 years. Not bad for a guy too small to play in the NFL.
Speaking of martial arts, Caylin Hauptmann was at one time proficient at karate. And although undersized offensive tackle Caylin did not joined the team until Sept 21, 2013 and had limited time to prepare, he was designated the backup center when Jeanpierre filled in for Unger.

Hauptmann(OT), Jared Smith(OG) and Greg VanRoten(OG) are all 6'-3" prospects at center in addition to their listed positions. I think there has been an uptick in interest at center since Max Unger talked about his concerns about concussions and goal of retiring while still in good health.

As an additional bit of trivia, Lemuel Jeanpierre was a defensive tackle that was converted to an offensive guard going into his junior year in college. Jared Smith was a defensive tackle that is working at making both the switch to the offensive line and the jump into the NFL.

Jville

Reaction score
Clayton talks about Greg Van Roten and offers his assessment of guards at about 10 minutes into segment >>> [urltargetblank]http://icestream.bonnint.net/seattle/kiro/2014/02/c_bobandgroz021414_9967818.mp3[/urltargetblank]