Time to extend Sherman ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm thinking it's time to try to extend Sherman. Look at all the FA deals CB's are getting:

Aqib Talib: 6 years/57 million. 26 guaranteed. 9.5 mil/year
Vontae Davis: 4 years/39 million. 20 guaranteed. 9.75 mil/year
Alterraun Verner 4 yrs/ 26.5 mil 14 guaranteed. 6.62 mil/year (STEAL !)

Revis is about to be cut because no one wants to pay him 16 mil/year.

So, the top CBs in the league are getting just short of 10 mil/year. Should we sign Sherm to an offer of around 10 mil/year ? Last year, lots on this site were talking about a "hometown discount" and hoping we'd get Sherm for 10-12 mil/year. With the cap going up, this looks extremely doable, especially if Sherm takes more guaranteed money for say, 9-9.5 mil/year.

The downside is that Jairus Byrd just got 6 years 56 million, and a whopping 28 million guaranteed. With the cap expected to go up significantly next year, looks like Thomas is going to get his big payday he was rumored to be after.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
Locking up Sherm now would be a great idea and one that I've been hoping for for a while now. We could get him at a very reasonable contract considering what I thought he'd be looking at before today. I was just talking to a co-worker the other day saying how $12m might be a "discounted" number for him.

bandiger

Reaction score
Desperate broncos ruining the market. Freaking Elway knows its do or die next season.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
bandiger":glyb6h5q said:
Desperate broncos ruining the market. Freaking Elway knows its do or die next season.

Talib is definitely a number 1 corner and 10 a year makes sense. I expect Sherm to get 5/50 range.

drdiags

Reaction score
It might be time for Sherman, but supposedly the FO stated the priority was Earl Thomas first, then Sherman. At least that is what the national folks were saying around the time of the Superbowl. So first they have to figure out if they want to make ET the first $10M/yr safety with about $30M gtd (based on the Jarius Bryd contract).

Laloosh

Reaction score
bandiger":20sksz50 said:

I'd normally say the guy can do no wrong in Denver but that was an ass beating of epic proportions. Probably feels like his head is in a vice.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I think so.

He's eligible. And if I'm Sherm making what I'm making as a 5th rounder, compared to what my value is now - no way am I taking part in anymore football activities without a new deal - too much risk. Owes it to himself not to risk tearing anything before hes secures his millions. Granted, I'm a greedy and selfish jerk; but there's no damn way Darrelle Revis should be making 16x what I make when I'm eligible for a raise.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
I love the Broncos and Talibs contract it is a great Mile marker for what Sherman should make. I love the fact the Bucs realized you cant afford to pay CB's nutty contracts. This whole offseason is working out perfect for resigning Sherman for 10 million a year, which is a good thing.

Wouldn't have the Bucs ruined the market last year by signing Revis anyhow? I hate blind hate for a team, with people grasping at straws.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":hyc4ae39 said:
I love the Broncos and Talibs contract it is a great Mile marker for what Sherman should make. I love the fact the Bucs realized you cant afford to pay CB's nutty contracts. This whole offseason is working out perfect for resigning Sherman for 10 million a year, which is a good thing.

Wouldn't have the Bucs ruined the market last year by signing Revis anyhow? I hate blind hate for a team, with people grasping at straws.

Everyone knew that was a dumb contract. Thing is, there was absolutely no guaranteed money in it, which is why a lot of FO personnel cringed while laughing at it. It says something that you didn't even see close to this kind of money in this year's CB market. From the contracts I've seen signed, it's Sam Shields who set the market this year.

From what I've read, Talib won't see the 6th year of this deal. He might not even see the 4th year of it. It's like folks have said before; a player will sign because there is a high yearly salary but in reality they often don't see much outside of the guaranteed money in the contract.

The thing that bothers me is the Byrd deal. He got paid like an elite CB, which is the 1st time a Safety has been able to do that. Not many people would debate that Thomas isn't better than Byrd, so what's he going to get, 10 mil/year ? Even saving money on Sherm's deal, I'm not sure we can afford two guys at 10 mil/year in the secondary, while having to sign our QB and LT again.

It's funny: all these CB's had nothing to do with us being able to retain Sherm; it was the premiere Safety deal that might screw us.

mikeak

Reaction score
kobebryant":6c0ixy8n said:
I think so.

He's eligible. And if I'm Sherm making what I'm making as a 5th rounder, compared to what my value is now - no way am I taking part in anymore football activities without a new deal - too much risk. Owes it to himself not to risk tearing anything before hes secures his millions..

This - there is a thread on the NFL side of discussions about CB value and that is my point. Both Sherman and RW will get new deals once they are eligible which for Sherman is this year. You don't make a guy playing for "peanuts" (compared to others) play out that contract. If you do he will treat you like dirt once you get down to negotiations

Cartire

Reaction score
Extensions are not a priority for any gm at this junction. We need to through free agency first. Then more focus can be placed on extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.