RW'S WR'S

skater18000

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how the WR's are changing since RW became our QB? Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin were drafted in 2010 and 2011. While their production might be strong, I question if they are the fit that PC/JS want? I exclaim that this is the reason Golden was let go so easily. As for Doug, I beleive there will be a stronger push to try and maintain him. Doug has always been much better at getting open and making catches in the clutch. He has better hands than Golden Tate (you probably noticed a few more drops by Tate later in the season).

So... our FO let Golden go because it was time to move on. While he was a great player. Their are better players to be found for the system. This is why we went out and got Percy. I loved me some Tate, but I understand what needed to happen and clearly, Tate was not worth 6M nor even 5M. It's been Rumored that Tate was offered about half of that.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
While i think it's possible that we don't have the kinds of receivers we necessarily want, I'm not sure i get the implication that Tate has bad hands. He dropped 2% of passes thrown his way last season that were catchable balls, 3% in 2012. His new counterpart in Detroit, the best receiver in the game is up over 5%. He's one of the better receivers in the league in that regard, great at getting after the ball in traffic, and a threat when he gets the ball in his hands.

I don't get the impression that they didn't want to keep Tate. I got the impression that they realized they have several difficult decisions to make moving forward and they realized that Tate was going to be gone because they weren't willing to invest in a receiver too similar in stature to what they already had in Baldwin and Harvin. IMO they basically had to pick - Doug or Golden, and given their cap situation letting Golden go while keeping Baldwin on the cheap for another year made the most sense.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1thdniq5 said:
While i think it's possible that we don't have the kinds of receivers we necessarily want, I'm not sure i get the implication that Tate has bad hands. He dropped 2% of passes thrown his way last season that were catchable balls, 3% in 2012. His new counterpart in Detroit, the best receiver in the game is up over 5%. He's one of the better receivers in the league in that regard, great at getting after the ball in traffic, and a threat when he gets the ball in his hands.

I don't get the impression that they didn't want to keep Tate. I got the impression that they realized they have several difficult decisions to make moving forward and they realized that Tate was going to be gone because they weren't willing to invest in a receiver too similar in stature to what they already had in Baldwin and Harvin. IMO they basically had to pick - Doug or Golden, and given their cap situation letting Golden go while keeping Baldwin on the cheap for another year made the most sense.

I didn't say Golden had bad hands, but his hands weren't as good as Doug's hands and in the postseason, Tate had a few drops.

HawkHouse

Reaction score
I'm confident that JS/PC will fill our receiving group with talent and depth. I hear people say that this years draft is WR heavy, and if the draft falls a certain way, where other positions are more aggressively addressed, I'm sure they'll still find the right guys.

Our FO seems to leave no stone unturned.

theascension

Reaction score
I don't think there was any issue with Golden talent wise. He's a great receiver and will get 1200 yards with Detroit. It was definitely partly an issue with cap space considering next year as well but I think the main reason is Pete likes and wants role players.

Golden and Baldwin are two very similar receivers and that's why you don't NEED both. We need a deep ball threat, Kearse was starting to look like that late in the season this year and I think will have a great year next year.

But the most obvious missing piece is a tall catching receiver or tight end. We couldn't add that AND keep Tate, let's be honest.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
theascension":13h0ohln said:
I don't think there was any issue with Golden talent wise. He's a great receiver and will get 1200 yards with Detroit. It was definitely partly an issue with cap space considering next year as well but I think the main reason is Pete likes and wants role players.

Golden and Baldwin are two very similar receivers and that's why you don't NEED both. We need a deep ball threat, Kearse was starting to look like that late in the season this year and I think will have a great year next year.

But the most obvious missing piece is a tall catching receiver or tight end. We couldn't add that AND keep Tate, let's be honest.
Chris Matthews is 6'5" - how much taller did you want to get?

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Matthews hasn't played a down for the Seahawks, or in the NFL I believe? I would not consider him our new tall possession receiver at this point.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":j9tswnz2 said:
theascension":j9tswnz2 said:

He must not think much of Chris Mathews. I'm excited about him.

candybars

Reaction score
Sorry if that came off wrong...I just don't think Tate dropped more passes over his career here.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
skater18000":16h6gvam said:
Has anyone noticed how the WR's are changing since RW became our QB? Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin were drafted in 2010 and 2011.

Baldwin wasnt drafted.

Sidney Rice was 15 for 15 on catchable balls last season. 100%

BlueBlood

Reaction score
skater18000":3tmw80jh said:
KiwiHawk":3tmw80jh said:
theascension":3tmw80jh said:

Mathews looks pedestrian...

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
candybars":2ybmf3w6 said:
Sorry if that came off wrong...I just don't think Tate dropped more passes over his career here.

:roll: this was your opportunity to provide said stats yourself..........

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":1qhiakrr said:
Matthews hasn't played a down for the Seahawks, or in the NFL I believe? I would not consider him our new tall possession receiver at this point.
It's axiomatic that no "new tall possession receiver" has played a down for the Seahawks. Hardly criteria for exclusion as a possibility.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Golden statistically was one of the most sure-handed receivers in the NFL last season, as was Doug.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Golden Tate is a good player but he's not irreplacable. Golden was non-existent during the playoffs. When the games really mattered it was Baldwin and Kearse that stepped up. Too bad Tate didn't stick around but they'll get someone to replace him. Good QBs will be fine with different WRs. Brees, Brady, and Manning all did fine with different WRs. Wilson will be ok too.

rigelian

Reaction score
skater18000":2hsp59bg said:
KiwiHawk":2hsp59bg said:
theascension":2hsp59bg said:

I think the problem was simply that Tate had a difficult time getting separation against the best db's. When he was elevated to being the number 1 receiver after Rice got injured, I think things became a bit more difficult for him.

Last year Tate was dangerous in the red zone. This year, not so much. I think not having Rice around to occupy the best corner made things more difficult for Tate, especially in the red zone.

two dog

Reaction score
I'm mostly concerned about the learning curve. Becoming an NFL receiver
is one of the more difficult adaptations from college, I'm told by almost
everyone who claims to know.

Golden took two full seasons to reach the skill level he was at when he
departed. Unless the college kid you bring in is a real whiz-bang, (Evans,
Watkins), it's uncertain how fast most will adapt to the increased speed
and skill of NFL defenders.

monkey

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2xnhqfl9 said:
Golden Tate is a good player but he's not irreplacable. Golden was non-existent during the payoffs. When the games really mattered it was Baldwin and Kearse that stepped up. Too bad Tate didn't stick around but they'll get someone to replace him. Good QBs will be fine with different WRs. Brees, Brady, and Manning all did fine with different WRs. Wilson will be ok too.

First, I agree that Golden is replaceable, I think that between Baldwin, Kearse, Harvin plus the rest, I believe that we will easily be able to replace his statistics; but let's not forget that Golden was also, always locked against teams best cover man, and if it hadn't been for a bad push off in the end zone, he would have caught a TD in the Superbowl, which would have changed how we look at his post season contributions quite a bit.
Just saying...you're not wrong, but...