We beat the #1 offense in NFL history in the SB... so ...

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Why doesn't that make US the #1 defense in NFL history?

I know... I know...

But it's worth mention!

WE BEAT THE #1 OFFENSE IN NFL HISTORY, ACTUALLY WE KICKED THEIR PONY ASS!

Steve2222

Reaction score
I think as time passes, the national media will grow in their appreciation of just how truly great the D was.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
tom sawyer":2aq78j9o said:

I know... I know...

But it's worth mention!

You realize that you are probably "preaching to the choir"?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
In terms of a one-game performance by a defense, its hard to argue that the 2013 Seahawks didn't just set the standard by which all future single-game defensive performances should be judged.

Comparing the entire seasons of teams from different eras is pretty tough. I am content knowing that the 2013 Hawks are unquestionably among the best ever.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The Hawks had a strong defense in 2012, even in 2011. If they can maintain a high level for another year or two they will get their props. Steel curtain, 85 Bears, Ravens and Tampa all had sustained success.

Once the Hawks keep it together a little more those previous years will be recognized and the averages will be fact that cannot be denied.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
I think had we shut down some other teams earlier in the season it would have been a whole different story. Had we just played better against Houston and Tampa I think that may have been all the difference. You can't let a team that ends 2-14 or 4-12 get so close to beating you.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I truly believe this defense has a chance to be better this year.

Chancellor, Thomas, Sherman, Maxwell, Wagner, Smith, Wright, Irvin, etc. are all back. These are all young players who will continue to get better. Bennett, Avril, and McDaniel all have a year of experience playing together in this system. They will show that all the pressure generated at the end of the season was not an anomaly. And then you add all the young guys who were still developing last season. This defense could be scary good.

Steve2222

Reaction score
BullHawk33":3sihe4de said:
I think had we shut down some other teams earlier in the season it would have been a whole different story. Had we just played better against Houston and Tampa I think that may have been all the difference. You can't let a team that ends 2-14 or 4-12 get so close to beating you.

The Tampa game was incredibly deceiving. They got up on us 21-0 before you could even sit down in your chair. The Seahawks finished the game out scoring them 27-3. It's not like it was a dog fight the entire game.

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":gegonapn said:
tom sawyer":gegonapn said:

I know... I know...

But it's worth mention!

Only ... probably ? ;)

plyka

Reaction score
tom sawyer":2wy3bruv said:

I know... I know...

But it's worth mention!

I would disagree that that was the best offense in NFL history. It was pretty good, but it was a SOFT pretty good. Can you imagine playing the late 80's 49ers? That was a dominant offense. What about the Cowboys of the early 90's with their 3 superbowls? Anything earlier than that I don't know because I'm too young to have seen them. And in all reality, I can't imagine any team pre late '80's being athletically good enough to compete with present day athletes.

The offense I would least like to play against was that early 90's Cowboys team with Russell Wilson Sr as QB (Aikman), an absolutely dominant WR, an absolutely dominant TE, an absolutely DOMINANT RB and in my opinion, the best offensive line to ever play the game. The difference between that offense and this Denver offense is that Denver is SOFT SOFT SOFT. They are great because of their passing attack. Dallas was dominant because they just destroyed you in all aspects of the game. But most importantly, they would grind you to death by running right over you then using their highly efficient passing game (if they wanted).

Either way, Denver isn't really the best offense. They had the luck to go up against the weakest schedule in the NFL in the weakest conference I've seen in a long time. And it's not a scary offense.

two dog

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2t5uwncy said:
tom sawyer":2t5uwncy said:

I know... I know...

But it's worth mention!

I can't speak for the entire choir but I'll go down this aisle, if you'll go down the other, to take up the offering.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Best passing offense maybe. The numbers Denver put up this year were almost certainly enhanced by their strength of schedule. The Manning passing attack was able to victimize those with poor performing secondary's repeatedly throughout the season all while protecting Manning. Enough about that.

The fact that we ground to dust the most prolific offense in NFL history in the most watched; not just Superbowl, but "television show" in history has to count for something.

We won the toughest division in football in a year that, were it not for the Rams lackadaisical performance, might have been considered the best entire division in history. That also should count for something.

I'm not going to stand on a bridge and proclaim best ever, but they certainly should be in the conversation.

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I just don't feel it's being HERALDED enough to my satisfaction anyway, this is OUR TIME to not only bask in the glow of victory but to fully recognize the MAGNITUDE to which it was achieved!

Really... they bragged about how great Denver was all year, and crowned Manning MVP and all that...

Only to have the Hawk destroyer ship barrel through the sea of orange and crush them into mulch!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
tom sawyer":2umyvov6 said:

[/b]

Because historical defensive rankings aren't based on a single game?

If you want to talk about the best defensive efforts in SB history, you could definitely make a case for it being #1 based on the opponent and the final score.

But to call the 2013 Seahawks the #1 defense in NFL history requires you to look at the entire season, and there are PLENTY of all-time defenses that could stake that claim. I'll say without reservation that the 2013 Seahawks were one of the top 5 defenses of the SB era, but anything beyond that is up for discussion.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
It tough to compare the defenses of different eras also. The rule changes make it tougher on these modern defenses. Think if this Defense could really mug receivers like it was done in the bygone eras, now that would've been fun. Can you imagine what Browner and Bam Bam could of done in those days of yore.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Our defense outscored the #1 offense in NFL history 9-8 so that makes our defense the #1 offense of all time.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":3pg5hhyj said:
Best passing offense maybe. The numbers Denver put up this year were almost certainly enhanced by their strength of schedule. The Manning passing attack was able to victimize those with poor performing secondary's repeatedly throughout the season all while protecting Manning. Enough about that.

The fact that we ground to dust the most prolific offense in NFL history in the most watched; not just Superbowl, but "television show" in history has to count for something.

We won the toughest division in football in a year that, were it not for the Rams lackadaisical performance, might have been considered the best entire division in history. That also should count for something.

I'm not going to stand on a bridge and proclaim best ever, but they certainly should be in the conversation.

I still think it is one of the best divisions in history. Outside the divison we were a combined 30-10
Seahawks 9-1
49ers 7-3
Cards 8-2
Rams 6-4

jblaze

Reaction score
I believe the 2013 Seahawks were one of the best defenses in the free agency era.

They're quite possibly the deepest, youngest and most talents rosters in the past 10 year. They were able to accomplish this via repeatedly hitting late in free agency, having cheap rookie contracts that let them go get FA DE's and coaching these guys up extremely well.

I'm not surprised our FA's got a ton of cash with other teams. Our backups are starters on other teams and everyone is trying to catch a little bit of that lightning from our bottle.

What will be most interesting is to see the vision from here forward. JS has been playing the shadows a bit with the idea of locking up our core guys and I think that will transition well into continuous success in the years to come. A huge part of this is succeeding in drafting though so I hope they can keep that up.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
A few of my friends who aren't fans of the Seahawks have said that performance was the best defensive performance in Super Bowl history, even ones that pains them to admit it. (Bears fans, 9er fans, etc...)

It truly was an epic shutdown given the stakes and the opponent.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Steve2222":3v40hkyd said:
BullHawk33":3v40hkyd said:

The Tampa game was incredibly deceiving. They got up on us 21-0 before you could even sit down in your chair. The Seahawks finished the game out scoring them 27-3. It's not like it was a dog fight the entire game.

I agree with what you are saying, and we did get the wins in both games, but when you talk about the court of public opinion and try to reason why we wouldn't be automatically hyped as the greatest thing since sliced bread, you have to look at the games we should have handled easily and didn't.

Frankly, I think the one thing that would help set us apart would be to see the Broncos start tearing up teams next year and still handle them when we play them.