Seahawks sign Long Snapper — Competition!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This will be the battle of the year. The training camp battle for the Long Snapper position!

In all seriousness, I think Gresham has been outstanding and I see no need to replace him. But I am glad they are making competition at every position. It only makes the team better in the end.

Long snapper Jorgen Hus is following in those footsteps with a video showing off his snapping acumen garnering views online. Hus spent last summer in camp with the Rams and now the Regina, Saskatchewan Leader-Post reports that the Seahawks have signed him to compete with Clint Gresham for the job in Seattle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/03/seahawks-sign-long-snapper-jorgen-hus/

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":33kq9b0n said:
Always comPETE! Bring back Boone Stutz!

That competition would be over fairly quickly.

I still shudder when I think of Boone Stutz.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Yeah, that fiasco during the Holmgren era made the importance of a good long snapper stand out.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Does anyone remember that Monday night game (I think it was the Raiders vs someone else) where the long snapper got injured and they couldn't even punt the ball?

Not having an effective long snapper due to a concussion or other injury can literally almost lose a game single-handedly. I think it was a loss in that circumstance.

I am fine with them getting as much depth as they can in that position, if nothing else they know who else they can call if they suddenly get thin at that position.

Starrman44

Reaction score
May as well get that kicker that does trick shots in camp with that trick shot QB. Then we'll all be entertained!!

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":15ag3pi4 said:
Doesn't Gresham make an ungodly amount of money?

Considering I can't recall a single awful snap from him in 4 years, I'd say he's worth it.

theascension

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3g9795ag said:
Hawk Strap":3g9795ag said:

Considering I can't recall a single awful snap from him in 4 years, I'd say he's worth it.
Exactly and that's not ungodly isn't that like only 200k above the minimum?

jkitsune

Reaction score
Oh my goodness, until today I had forgotten about how terrible our long snapping was for a few years, there. That was an absurd parade of botched special teams play. Keep Gresham. Yikes.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Same universtiy that Ryan went to. Wow, I made the mistake of reading some of the comments below. One Vking fan and one Niner fan showed themselves to be absolute morons. A third moron who made a PED comment didn't identify which team he cheers for.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2cn4ywae said:
Does anyone remember that Monday night game (I think it was the Raiders vs someone else) where the long snapper got injured and they couldn't even punt the ball?

Not having an effective long snapper due to a concussion or other injury can literally almost lose a game single-handedly. I think it was a loss in that circumstance.

Pretty sure teams got emergency long snappers in case stuff like that happens. I'm sure there are designated guys that practice it sparingly aside from the actual long snapper. But yes, having a good long snapper is important. As the saying goes, a long snapper will probably never win you a game, but they sure can easily lose one for you.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I wish Unger would practice his long snaps.. you know the 4 yard variety to RW.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
HawkFan72":18wemgnw said:
Hawk Strap":18wemgnw said:

We had 2 missed kicks this year. One was blocked. The other was either on him or the holder. Can't remember who got charged for it.

Even still, I'll take it.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
One by one...the University of Regina is taking over the ST unit.

They currently have a DE with nice (dare I say ideal) size...but only appears to be a pass rusher, and a WR that seems to be a beast (he's listed at 6'4"...that probably has a lot to do with it).