12th Man or Twelves?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I have noticed that the Seahawks refer to fans as Twelves a lot more than The 12th man anymore. Twelves has no copyright and no gender connotation. Is that the future label for the Seahawk fan base?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
This has been going on for some time. Not sure if they are hoping to lessen the future impact of trademark violations. Obviously if you set a new alternative standard and are forced to stop using the 12th man publicly -- having an already familiar alternative would be good.

I heard somewhere that this is the last year of the deal for use of the 12th man for the team and that TA&M is looking for a bigger deal. Don't know if that is true but if so it could explain it's use.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1pal8ncu said:
I have noticed that the Seahawks refer to fans as Twelves a lot more than The 12th man anymore. Twelves has no copyright and no gender connotation. Is that the future label for the Seahawk fan base?
I never thought of it that way but I do like the non-gender association and thought that was was why they've been using it because they understand that there are plenty of female Seahawk fans. It also has a 300 feel (catchy and easy to say).

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I notice a lot of the times 12's being the used by Seahawks fans while others say the 12th man. Is it just me?

Sac

Reaction score
Twelves are individuals, or a group. The 12th man is comprised of all the Twelves. I think.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":vhr39n2v said:
This has been going on for some time. Not sure if they are hoping to lessen the future impact of trademark violations. Obviously if you set a new alternative standard and are forced to stop using the 12th man publicly -- having an already familiar alternative would be good.

I heard somewhere that this is the last year of the deal for use of the 12th man for the team and that TA&M is looking for a bigger deal. Don't know if that is true but if so it could explain it's use.
Exactly.
I think this a conscious corporate decision to distance themselves from what is going to be a big dollar demand from the Aggies.

However, no one can trademark the actual number. I'm not the most PC guy in the world, but I do like the fact that Twelves is gender neutral.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3q0t5hr9 said:
Scottemojo":3q0t5hr9 said:
I never thought of it that way but I do like the non-gender association and thought that was was why they've been using it because they understand that there are plenty of female Seahawk fans. It also has a 300 feel (catchy and easy to say).

The 12th man may have a gender connotation but it makes sense to me. 11 men on the field, and the fan is the 12th, like an extra team member. Its not man because all fans are dudes, but because the first 11 are dudes I think.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Whenever you hear the "team" refer to "us"

It always seems to be "THE 12TH MAN"

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I hope so. That way we can still show the number 12 and all that jazz, but we can hopefully put an end to this constant Texas A&M bull we have to deal with all the time. Then suddenly it's all about the twelves nationwide people keep talking about, and the Texas A&M 12th Man can just WISH they had the same following.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
12th man doesn't have a gender connotation either...

I think 12s is just a lazy way of saying 12th man

Subzero717

Reaction score
tom sawyer":33zef1ad said:
Whenever you hear the "team" refer to "us"

It always seems to be "THE 12TH MAN"

Its actually been the reverse the last few seasons. I havent documented anything but we seem to get more 12's from the players. Pete still says 12th man.

ASuperForce

Reaction score
Calling the fans 12s is unique to Seahawks fans, as far as I can tell. The 12th Man is entirely generic and could honestly refer to any fanbase of a football team, no matter what aTm tries to claim.

It probably started because of twitter and the shorthand/laziness it encourages.