How does Tyron Smith effect an Okung extension?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Cowboys gave their LT an 8 year, 98 million extension?

Which leads me to believe if we re-sign Okung he's going to want much more than his 6 yr, 58 million rookie contract.

Thoughts?

General Manager

Reaction score
He has to stay healthy that's what I'd say about Okung and so far he has missed time every year.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
No need to bag on Okung. He's a GREAT LT when healthy. But he's going to be 28 years old by the time his contract is up, so the comparison to Tyron (23 years old) is irrelevant.

kearly

Reaction score
Okung is about as likely to get a sizable long term contract as Walter Thurmond was. Staying healthy matters to GMs.

I get the sense that PC/JS are thinking about life after Okung.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":3e0fb84z said:
Okung is about as likely to get a sizable long term contract as Walter Thurmond was. Staying healthy matters to GMs.

I find that comparison bizarre. Thurmond was a backup one positive marijuana test away from a one-year suspension.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
kearly":ynhzammq said:

Who do you think would take his place, Bailey?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
IMO, Okung has too many injuries.
He misses too many games and has since we drafted him.
I feel he has too many penaltys.
Based upon my view, he is grossly overpaid and unreliable.
I'm sorry but it is painfully true.

I would be on the lookout for a new LT.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":10l6t7im said:
kearly":10l6t7im said:

Who do you think would take his place, Bailey?
I do.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":15j05yhm said:
I would be on the lookout for a new LT.
I agree. I expect us to draft offensive tackle(s) early again next year.

Okung misses too many games for Pete/John to pay him top dollar.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Smith's contract will have no effect, as its pretty obvious that the team is already preparing to let Okung walk when the time comes, as well they should. He's been far too injury-prone, too inconsistent even when 'healthy,' and there simply isn't enough money to go around with all the recent extensions, never mind the money they'll have to pony up for Russell Wilson (who could potentially consume 1/8th or more of the team's cap by himself) and the others still to come. Even if Okung plays out the balance of his contract at a relatively healthy and solid level, he simply won't be worth (to the Seahawks) what he'll command on the open market. And OT's - even below-average ones - are notoriously overpaid in free agency (Exhibit A: Michael Oher this off-season).

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I don't think you can really compare the two guys.. Tyron Smith is the best tackle in football right now. Okung is very solid when healthy, but thats been a big issue his whole career.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
His durability is a concern. I agree with other sentiments about not getting paid on the same level because of it. However during 2012 when he was mostly healthy all season, he did great. If he could stay healthy I say he's worth it. The lack of a healthy line also shows how much we need a RB that can break tackles like Marshawn.

bigcc

Reaction score
There is not a single player I would extend on this roster for a total of 10 years with the structure Smith got.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":35xuq3qh said:
Cowboys gave their LT an 8 year, 98 million extension?

Which leads me to believe if we re-sign Okung he's going to want much more than his 6 yr, 58 million rookie contract.

Thoughts?

Well, that's the Cowboys, and it goes a long way in explaining why they are always one of the teams that have so much trouble staying under the cap and haven't seemed to be able to get that one player that can put them over the hump. They spend their money foolishly, hitch their wagon to the wrong horses.

I don't see the Hawks paying anywhere close to that kind of scratch to Okung, not with Russell and guys like Wagner and Wright coming up soon. Even when he's healthy, Okung is merely adequate, and not All Pro quality like Smith is. IMO this will be the last year we see Okung in a Hawks uniform.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Even if Okung was healthy on a regular basis, and even if he was younger, do you really think this front office is going to operate anything like Jerruh Jones does? Not a snowball's chance in the pit of Hades.

The VMAC medical staff have a far more key role to play in Okung's contract than some young LT in Dallas ever would.

Barthawk

Reaction score
kearly":npe93g2h said:

Agree about the health issue, but I believe Thurmond's deal was more about him being in the NFL substance abuse program and the fact that another failed test triggers an 8 game suspension.

Largent80

Reaction score
LT is obviously an important part of the line, and so is staying on the field. Okung's constant ailments are reasons the Hawks should be in the market for LT either in the draft or elsewhere.

Unless he miraculously has a string of games where he actually plays. Even then, I still think we need to address it.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Some things in football one does not do: use the Raiders as a model for first round picks, and use the Cowboys as a model for proper fiscal responsibility

bigDhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":1pxzbkk0 said:
Well, that's the Cowboys, and it goes a long way in explaining why they are always one of the teams that have so much trouble staying under the cap and haven't seemed to be able to get that one player that can put them over the hump. They spend their money foolishly, hitch their wagon to the wrong horses.

I don't see the Hawks paying anywhere close to that kind of scratch to Okung, not with Russell and guys like Wagner and Wright coming up soon. Even when he's healthy, Okung is merely adequate, and not All Pro quality like Smith is. IMO this will be the last year we see Okung in a Hawks uniform.

Here in Dallas I've been listening a lot to the local talk about the Smith extension and by all accounts the Cowboys made out like bandits in this deal and absolutely fleeced Smith. Apparently the player's union and agents are up in arms that Smith signed such a favorable deal for the club and left tens of millions on the table. The problem with the deal, which is for 10 years, is that it only gives Smith one shot at a guaranteed signing bonus. He is only 22 years old I think, and if the deal were for half the years, he could basically do the same deal again in five years and get another 40-50 million guaranteed. He essentially signed away his entire career with only one chunk of guaranteed money. This is a crazy good deal for the Cowboys as it will essentially give them five or six years of cap freedom for one of the best young LTs in the game, should they ever need to cut him. FWIW, Smith is the only player on the Cowboys roster I would trade straight up in a heartbeat for the player on our team at that position.

As for how this effects Okung, I would say not at all because absolutely no one is going to structure a deal like that again that is so favorable for the club. This contract will not be a realistic comp for any franchise LT going forward.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Great when healthy, but that sadly has never been the case for Okung.

I suspect it will will be hard for the team to pay him anything close to what he might expect he thinks he's worth. Okung has unfortunately been a big part of the problems the OLine has encountered b/c of his unreliability. Like him lots when he's healthy but he hasn't been that healthy.

The team may be needing to find a starting LT after this season if they can't work something out.