Great breakdown on a Christine Michael run and the blocking

ivotuk

Reaction score
Four things to notice in this picture:

1: Bailey and Hauptmann absolutely nailing the double team at the point of attack. Notice how Hauptmann is keeping his right arm free so that he can quickly disengage and block the LB.

2: Schilling brain-farts and completely forgets his assignment. Jeanpierre has leverage towards the sideline, but he's powerless to stop the rush directly upfield.

3: Kearse and Lockette both have good angles on their guys. Kearse's block in particular is key, since the offense would much rather see the FS blocked and force the weakside CB to make a tackle.

4: Kayvon Webster (the strongside corner) is about to have a huge pile of bodies between him and the play. Webster is unblocked as well, but there's no way the defense can ask him to make a play here. Particularly since Webster must keep outside leverage in case Wilson keeps the ball himself.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... -preseason

HawkHouse

Reaction score
Awesome, I learn alot of X's and O's from this kind of stuff, funny how the RG totally forgets his blocking assignment, TWICE !!!

Dismas

Reaction score
When I watched the game, that particular play impressed me, from the C Mike angle.

As soon as he got the ball, he did a quick little sideways shuffle to avoid the guy who was penetrating, I rewound like 5 times to be sure I really saw it.
Was a beautiful move in the backfield, turning what could have been a 4 yard loss into a nice positive play.

I remain on the beef mo bandwagon, but I am really looking forward to seeing more C M, I think he is going to be electric when he starts getting some work in

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm in the crowd that wants to see more CMike. His running style is a contrast to Beast Mode, meaning it is an adjustment that could be difficult for a defense. Michael only needs a few plays to make a large impact, and with his explosiveness, it won't be hard for him to make someone pay for being a step too slow.

It's also going to lengthen Lynch's career. I think we'll see out of Lynch what we saw last year, and it's perfect for this team. Then we could afford to keep Lynch next year as well. I definitely want to see Lynch on this team as long as he's effective. He means a lot more to us than stats could ever tell us.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Speculation that Schilling was supposed to help with the double team is solely based on Lem's alignment. A simpler explanation in my mind is that Schlling's initial target was the LB and his error was beelining to the Safety (one man over) instead. This seems to fit better with both Kearse and Schilling's body language during the play and seems like a more likely error than the consecutive errors required by the FG explanation.