Clay Matthew's FLOP for Holding Call - GIF

jlwaters1

Reaction score
GoHawks":1ybbbocs said:

The one against Britt in the 1st quarter (I believe it was Matthews as well) was questionable, I think some acting go that call as well.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It was a ridiculous call. I almost shredded my vocal chords yelling at the referees for this bogus call that negated a great play by Harvin.

On a positive note, Zach Miller was simply phenomenal as an in-line blocker. He kept Matthews in check for much of the game, mainly riding him out of the backfield, and basically pancaked him on this play.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Yeah, refs should get docked game pay for buying horrible acting jobs like that. (I mean once they watch it back / or if something like that gets submitted for review for improving the officiating.)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well, here you go Goodell........it's now happening with the stupid "emphasis" rule. The NFL is going to turn into soccer, a bunch of bitch flopping to get calls.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2yo0xbrk said:
Dude sucks. That was some bitch shit.

Let's all fill some brown paper bags with shit, then light them and throw them at his house. or at SacHawk's house. Either way.
Clay Matthews either knocks the snot out of you... or fakes a seizure to draw a flag. Gotta give him credit for trying to make an impact either way. Zach Miller could only laugh because he knows Matthews was smart enough to get away with that.

Mick063

Reaction score
To be fair to Mathews, I don't think it was a flop. I think it was an instinctive reaction to reach back for the ball carrier. I seriously doubt that drawing a flag was on his mind at the time.

Let's not degrade ourselves to Saints or Niner fans here.

Regardless, it was definitely not a hold by the tight end.

The Radish

Reaction score
Lets just remember Matthews gets lots of ink because he's a great player. Flopping now and then is part of that.

I was delighted at our play against him last night. For the most part he was ineffective.

:les:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mick063":u5tk0rad said:
To be fair to Mathews, I don't think it was a flop. I think it was an instinctive reaction to reach back for the ball carrier. I seriously doubt that drawing a flag was on his mind at the time..

C'mon man, that was a straight up flop to get a call. Miller didn't do anything wrong, that's not the NFL.........and certainly isn't what the competition committee intended to fix with the emphasis rule.

NinjaHawk38

Reaction score
Haha I seriously hope flopping in the NFL doesn't start trending.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Mick063":2bzpdusq said:
To be fair to Mathews, I don't think it was a flop. I think it was an instinctive reaction to reach back for the ball carrier. I seriously doubt that drawing a flag was on his mind at the time.

Let's not degrade ourselves to Saints or Niner fans here.

Regardless, it was definitely not a hold by the tight end.

Actually, I do think it was intentional my Matthews. Harvin was nowhere near him, but he felt Miller reach the outside of his shoulder pads and thought he could get the call if Miller were holding him outside his jersey. Only problem, Miller wasn't holding anything, stayed square to Matthews body, and moved his hands inside Matthews chest. Great block by Miller, good faking my Matthews to draw attention to what might have been a hold, and terrible, pathetic job by the referees.

hawk45

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1qgmazd0 said:
peachesenregalia":1qgmazd0 said:
Dude sucks. That was some bitch shit.

Let's all fill some brown paper bags with shit, then light them and throw them at his house. or at SacHawk's house. Either way.
Clay Matthews either knocks the snot out of you... or fakes a seizure to draw a flag. Gotta give him credit for trying to make an impact either way. Zach Miller could only laugh because he knows Matthews was smart enough to get away with that.

No, I don't have to give him credit for flopping like a soccer girl. It looks bad when NBA players do it and they lose respect, I hope NFL fans ridicule this mercilessly as do his own teammates to stop this crap in its infancy.

SMH at respecting his cunning for that move.

Largent80

Reaction score
Matthews is awesome, but he was a soccer player for 5 seconds. Then the flag ended up right between his legs and he picked it up and waved it at Miller.

Miller owned him last night, and his beautiful 1 handed catch was the play of the game for me.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm not even sure how flopping backwards equals holding. Would a hold pull him forward or maybe to the side? How do you hold somebody backwards?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Uhh, flopping doesn't earn you a holding call in football. That's the blocker's job, to drive you backwards and put you on your back. The flag was for the obvious latching onto Matthews' jersey by Miller with both hands, which one of the other angles clearly showed. Was it egregious or any different than what most O-linemen do on nearly every play? No. But it happened in the immediate vicinity of the ball-carrier on a would-be tackler. That will get the call most times. Was it a slightly dubious call? At best, yes. Was it a horrible call brought on by a backwards "flop?" Absolutely not.

Ultimately it didn't matter anyway, as the Hawks still got in the end zone on that drive.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HawkGA":1rvrkaa4 said:
I'm not even sure how flopping backwards equals holding. Would a hold pull him forward or maybe to the side? How do you hold somebody backwards?

Pass rushers are taught to twist and turn in order to reveal a hold to the referees. That is exactly what Matthews was attempting on this play; he might have actually thought he was being held. Without doing so, a blocker can easily conceal a hold. On this play, however, there was absolutely no hold and anyone who says otherwise has never played the game.