Origin of the Lockette play for a TD

sturg78

Reaction score
Any insight as to why this wasn't a penalty? To my knowledge a lineman can't block down field during a pass, yet Unger was 5 yards down field eating an OLB.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
sturg78":2j9ek8sa said:
Any insight as to why this wasn't a penalty? To my knowledge a lineman can't block down field during a pass, yet Unger was 5 yards down field eating an OLB.

He was not 5 yards down field. He was a yard and a half.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
I take that back. It was completely legal. It counts where you engage the defender.

Ball is snapped from the 33 yard line...
8umadehu.jpg

Unger starts engaging him at the 32 yard line.
uje8u2av.jpg

jlwaters1

Reaction score
At worst he was 2 yards past the LOS. The rule is 1 yard, I don't believe it's that touchy that they would throw the flag for being 1 yard past the limit. I don't know about being engaged, so if you're engaged with a defender @ 1 yard it can then go part that limit?

bigtrain21

Reaction score
jlwaters1":16ppga07 said:
At worst he was 2 yards past the LOS. The rule is 1 yard, I don't believe it's that touchy that they would throw the flag for being 1 yard past the limit. I don't know about being engaged, so if you're engaged with a defender @ 1 yard it can then go part that limit?

Yeah if you are engaged with the guy you are blocking you can drive him further down the field.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
jlwaters1":iqxwbiag said:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/pu ... Fumble.pdf

Item 1: Legally Downfield. An ineligible player is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an
opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage during his initial charge:
(a) he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an
opponent; or

(b) after breaking legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage,
he remains stationary until a forward pass is thrown; or
(c) after losing legal contact with an opponent more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, he
is forced behind the line of scrimmage by an opponent, at which time he is again subject to
normal blocking restrictions for an ineligible offensive player.
Note 1: If an offensive player moves beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an opponent, an
eligible offensive player may catch a pass between them and the line of scrimmage.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Here is a better screenshot of the play. The Line of Scrimmage is the 33 and the block is initiated at the 32. Eric Davis was on NFL AM saying it was 3 yards downfield. He played for the Niners and worked in their radio booth so he is biased and wrong.

WrEmYfN

CANHawk

Reaction score
bigtrain21":f2kwdsvl said:
Here is a better screenshot of the play. The Line of Scrimmage is the 33 and the block is initiated at the 32. Eric Davis was on NFL AM saying it was 3 yards downfield. He played for the Niners and worked in their radio booth so he is biased and wrong.

WrEmYfN
don't forget ugly, stupid and has a stupid hair cut...