It's all good.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Not enough gamblers here. this was a clear trap game for the Seahawks and had all the makings of an loss.

Ultimately, we are going to lose games this year - 3-4 probably - and this one was one of the most probable to be quite honest.

The Chargers have a good team. Rivers has been playing lights out for two years. Without our crowd noise, opposing offenses can orchestrate the no huddle offense much more easily - which is an Achilles heel of EVERY defense - not just ours. Therefore, this loss also doesn't serve as a "blueprint" like so many are saying. There was nothing special about the Chargers game plan. They used a couple of interesting formations - like a trips left closed end on the last Gates TD but nothing so exotic that it was as if they reinvented the wheel. The biggest thing they did, though, was execute on third downs - which kept long sustained drives alive. This wore us down, more so because of the heat, but it would have been the similar in any weather. All teams wants to do this against EVERY defense EVERY game - there is NOTHING special about it. I can assure you that every offensive coordinator that faces our team from the Rams to the Broncos says, "WE HAVE TO BE GREAT ON THIRD DOWN AND KEEP DRIVES ALIVE TO BEAT THESE GUYS." There is no secret. Few have the plethora of weapons and QB to execute it. You also have to be at home to execute it.

Anyway, losses early on are good for teams - it gets their lip bloodied a little early. This reminds me of the Indy game in that way. We won't play a team that good on offense on the road until the Eagles in December. We also have a powder puff schedule until the Cardinals in November (save one tough game in Carolina) and then we have a huge stretch of divisional games that will make or break the season.

A

Anonymous

I'm not a gambler, but I'm good.

Thanks for that, TDOT, good post.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
It wasn't the Seahawks best game, obviously, but I agree that "it's all good".

San Diego played lights out. Rivers had a worldy and Gates was great. Their 3rd TD was incredible and there wasn't a whole lot more I thought the Hawks could have done to stop it.

Rivers made plays all game long when he was under heavy pressure and somehow managed to duck and weave and just get the pass off, and on target.

The tackling was disappointing, I thought, but being so early in the season it will hopefully give them a bit of a wake up call.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Yes, good post TDOT. Teams lose games, nothing about this loss says "PANIC!" to me (although it certainly does for many others on this forum).

Still have high confidence that we will thump Denver this weekend and be sitting pretty on our bye week.

McGruff

Reaction score
The only thing the Chargers did that served as a "blue print" was their delay hand off running game, and we adjusted well to that at half time. Other than that it was a combination of ungodly heat, nearly perfect QB play, and really poorly timed penalties to stall our drives and extend theirs.

Even Bevell's playcalling, blasted by so many, is not much of a concern. Its hard to run when penalties are forcing to play in 2nd and 3rd and long situations.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Remember, in spite of playing a bit subpar (poor tackling, shaky pass blocking), losing the turnover battle, and playing against a QB-TE tandem that was lights out.......the Hawks were one drive from winning.

Clean up a couple items (stoopid penalties, KO fumble) and they may have gotten the win.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
You know, its a loss, but while I'm down that we lost, wheat I am really down about is all the doom and gloomers that spring forth when this happens. If I recall correctly, we lost 3 times last year, yet we still won the game that mattered.