Do you believe this about Russell Wilson?

OP
OP
Chukarhawk

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
very interesting. Not sure I buy it. It does make sense when you factor in Payton wanting him gone.

jakejortles

Reaction score
I d b t i t.
I simplified my response to make it simpler for people who can't read. Code is simpler I hear.

The reporter and people who believe it are pretty dumb. 2 words was to make it quicker.

Russ reading defenses is another story...

Interesting season ahead - worse weapons but best blocking he's had. I think more time favors him and fields more than better route runners- as long as the receivers can catch.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I d b t i t.
I simplified my response to make it simpler for people who can't read. Code is simpler I hear.

The reporter and people who believe it are pretty dumb. 2 words was to make it quicker.

Russ reading defenses is another story...

Interesting season ahead - worse weapons but best blocking he's had. I think more time favors him and fields more than better route runners- as long as the receivers can catch.
The better blocking for someone who goes off script after 1 read maybeee 2 is
just going to prove things about blocking and him.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
It's crazy how much Pete coached up dangerwich. I know he was only a piece to the success Pete created but he gameplanned around his obvious weaknesses for a long time before the real Russ reared it's ugly head...Maybe even Bevell deserves some accolades for keeping it "simple" for him. Here we thought Bevell was holding him back.....

toffee

Reaction score
I believe Wilson has OK instinct, but a slow or small processor. The more time Wilson spent in the film room, or reading up plays, the extra data exposed his slow/small processor. Last season, Wilson truly tried to learn Payton's system, well, we knew the result.

Wilson was created by football God to play Peteball, which is simple, and took weights off QB.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yes, I absolutely believe it and I think it was fairly obvious.

He can run exactly one offense, and there's absolutely a reason why our offense kept returning to the same exact thing (in terms of philosophy and certain playcalling tendencies) during Russell's tenure here.

He's not a processor, he's not a strategist, he's none of that. He needs the structure done for him and he'll improvise within it.

What Pete Carroll did with Russell Wilson and FOR Russell Wilson was a God-like feat of coaching prowess. The fact that he took as much heat as he did for it and let himself be slandered for years?

Man was a saint.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
Russell never ever threw a WR open, they had to be clear or the ball going out of bounds if overthrown or a clear area. Fitting a ball into tight windows didn't happen, this leads to the thinking of the processor being slow, see it do it, he would think about if he could and the moment would be gone, or the defense would regain their step and it would be picked off. You from his perspective could call it playing it safe, yet it led to a lot of three and outs and missing opportunity's other QB's would capitalize on. Which is also why he almost never used the middle of the field.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
It's crazy how much Pete coached up dangerwich. I know he was only a piece to the success Pete created but he gameplanned around his obvious weaknesses for a long time before the real Russ reared it's ugly head...Maybe even Bevell deserves some accolades for keeping it "simple" for him. Here we thought Bevell was holding him back.....

I think the most surprising thing we learned from 2022-23 was that while a lot of people believed Carroll had been holding Wilson back, the reality was closer to the exact opposite - what Carroll's teams could do on offense during the Wilson years was held back by Wilson's limitations. Wilson going to Denver wrecked what had previously been a Broncos team on the rise and wasted a truly great performance by the Broncos defense for most of the 2022 season, while the Seahawks offense immediately became better and more reliable despite a lot of turnover and major injury problems among offensive-line personnel.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
The Broncos paid him to go away. It’s all improvisation with him. It creates magic sometimes. So many 3 and outs, sacks though.

knownone

Reaction score
The opening line of that article is ridiculous. Russ signing with Pittsburgh wasn't a notable seismic event.

What I don't understand about Russ's situation is that we've heard he has an elite work ethic—first in, last out. What the heck is he doing with his time at team facilities if not studying plays and learning verbiage? I could understand failing to read defenses or seeing over the line in games. But not knowing play calls? Does he have a learning disability? Or is his work ethic actually an issue, and we've been spoonfed a lie for a decade?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The opening line of that article is ridiculous. Russ signing with Pittsburgh wasn't a notable seismic event.

What I don't understand about Russ's situation is that we've heard he has an elite work ethic—first in, last out. What the heck is he doing with his time at team facilities if not studying plays and learning verbiage? I could understand failing to read defenses or seeing over the line in games. But not knowing play calls? Does he have a learning disability? Or is his work ethic actually an issue, and we've been spoonfed a lie for a decade?
EXACTLY!