Paul Richardson - 0 targets, minimal snaps

CentralPAHawkFan

Reaction score
This thread is in no way meant to bash the guy - just to get some opinion on his lack of snaps after 2 games as a 2nd rounder. Especially with Norwood returning - someone's gotta be inactive among P Rich, Norwood, Walters, Lockette? Cant see Walters and Lockette being inactive for the next game since Walters returns punts and Lockette is a ST stud on top of his receiving skills.

With his speed, I guess I am just a little surprised with his lack of snaps. Granted our offense wasnt on the field very long in the SD game, but Pete looked overjoyed when this guy was drafted talking about how speed kills and having him and Percy on the field together was going to be fun to watch...He will get his snaps in due time I am sure, but to me 2nd round picks come in and play right away - or at least that is the expectation (or at least mine - lol).

I know they want to 'develop' these guys before they are thrown into the fire - but 2nd round picks should at least be seeing the field a little more than 10 snaps against the Pack and whatever the snaps were that he played against SD. With Pete and Johns draft record, its hard to argue their philosophy - but we can still discuss my higher playing time expectations.

Watching the Eagles game last night and hearing Jordan Matthews name got me thinking that I havent even heard P-Rich's name since the preseason. Also, watching the game last night, made me fantasize about what Pete could do with Percy and Sproles on the same team. I hate the Eagles, but that guy is MONEY.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I think when you have a roster as deep as ours it is a bit harder to start a rookie. Other teams have more pressing needs and will throw guys out there. I have high expectations for P Rich but it will have to wait. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Most receivers take a year or two of seasoning before coming into there own. There are exceptions but if that was the case he would be on the field. Patience young grasshopper. All in good time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A lot of us have asked where Richardson's been.

Dude caught like 20 long TD's in camp burning all the DB's, so why aren't we involving him more in the offensive game plan?

I understand he's still learning, but holy moly what's wrong with lining him and Percy up on the edges 4-5 times a game and making the other team cover arguably the two fastest guys in the league on go routes?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sounds like what happens to a rookie on a stacked team with 8 other receivers.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":80dsm16o said:

Dude caught like 20 long TD's in camp burning all the DB's, so why aren't we involving him more in the offensive game plan?

I understand he's still learning, but holy moly what's wrong with lining him and Percy up on the edges 4-5 times a game and making the other team cover arguably the two fastest guys in the league on go routes?

Offensive game-plan worked just fine against Greenbay. Offense barely saw the field against San Diego. Not sure what is so shocking.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Basis4day":37yhwubb said:
Sgt. Largent":37yhwubb said:

Offensive game-plan worked just fine against Greenbay. Offense barely saw the field against San Diego. Not sure what is so shocking.

Not shocking, just curious.

You're telling me you were OK with the bubble screen to Walters? Hell, the only reason Walter's is even on this team is because Pete was nervous about our punt return situation. I'd much rather see Richardson get snaps over Walters.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
We didn't get the ball to Lynch nearly enough in SD. I wouldn't worry about Richs touchs in that game. Let's see how it works moving forward.

We have alot of weapons and theres only one ball to go around.

Jville

Reaction score
My expectations are not tied to draft outcomes. It simply doesn't dictate any pecking order for me. I'm confident there will be plenty of opportunities to go around.

OP
OP
CentralPAHawkFan

CentralPAHawkFan

Reaction score
I guess my expectations of this yrs second rd pick were a bit higher as far as getting them on the field since we drafted Michael in the second round last yr knowing he wouldn't see the field right away.

I am all about patience, but are we really that deep where we can afford to 'develop' back to back 2nd rd picks. Good problem to have, but I guess drafting as well as we have in later rounds helps with the patience as well.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Jville":2665yx98 said:
My expectations are not tied to draft outcomes. It simply doesn't dictate any pecking order for me. I'm confident there will be plenty of opportunities to go around.

True, throw it to the guy who is going to catch it.... Baldwin and Kearse are both UDFA's so round drafted dont mean squat.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
I was wondering where Richardson has been myself. I understand that we didn't have the ball on offense for the SD game. But since he took Tate's spot, why not try him returning punts?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
They did run one play that I was hoping we'd see a lot of this year.. where Richardson was split out right and ran a deep post. Percy motioned into the backfield and they ran a fake jet.. I believe on this play Russell would throw it to Kearse or Walters for a nice catch. This was on the drive before half where we scored a TD to cut it to 20-14.

Rookie WR's take some time to fit into the offense though, hell Golden Tate barely saw the field his first year. Richardson will be fine in the long run, and I expect him to get a couple shots at a big chunk play as the season goes on. Especially as we use Harvin as a decoy more and more.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Why do people freak out over the bubble screen to Walters. People act like it cost us the whole game. Is Walters that bad? So even IF it was a bad call it was one. Lets get over it already. There was also an article about Lynch regarding his back. That is why he was not figured in more (plus the fact we had the ball for less than a third of the game). As far as Richardson I think Harvin is taking more of Tate's snaps. Richardson will just have to prove he is better than the existing line up (do you really think he is?) to get his shot. If he does we KNOW Pete will put him in. Maybe he has not fully grasped the playbook yet? Who know but the people running the show know more than any of us do for sure. Also like someone else in this thread said, draft order does nothing to dictate play time.

jblaze

Reaction score
The other thing to consider here is that we ask our WR's to block a lot and he's not really big enough to do that effectively. He got 8 snaps in SD and our down/distance never really gave us the opportunity to take a shot. We hadn't even really established our offensive game plan yet.

He'll get 8-10 snaps a game for the foreseeable future, especially with Norwood coming back who will also take away some carriers.

I really wish we could use one of our WR's for punt returns besides Walters. I don't like carrying a guy just because we need a PR when he's not a great player.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
We all need to be patient, a football season is like a marathon and the most important part of the race is the finish.

At present Richardson is a relative unknown to most DCs as is Norwood. When an opportunity present itself both will get used and both will likely be ready to perform.

The SD game was a statistical outlier b/c of TOP possession limits placed on the O. As a result it's not surprising we saw little of Richardson.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
It took Michael Floyd 2 years to adjust to the NFL. Same with Demaryius Thomas and many other receivers. It's a position that just takes time to adjust. Richardson doesn't have a size advantage and as fast as he still needs to adjust to the speed and precision of the game. I've seen enough to think he'll be a good weapon for us down the line but he's still got a lot to learn.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Our WR's in general have been pretty quiet besides Harvin. I'm going to wait til I start hearing Baldwins and Kearses names more til I start wondering where PRich is.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Even Russell Wilson spent the first half of his rookie season with training wheels.

This coaching staff KNOWS how to develop players. I'm not concerned.

chris98251

Reaction score
He may still be dinged but serviceable in certain situations, remember he was hurt in camp.

Latest posts