Should we defer the opening kickoff?

Chawks1

Reaction score
If we win the coin toss we usually defer so the D can take the field and the 12s can rattle the opposing team right away.

But I love this dynamic offense with Percy now. I think I would like the ball first to get a lead for the D to protect. Put more pressure on Demver to keep up. If nothing else We should get 1 extra possession for Percy, Beast, Wilson et al.

Thoughts?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Chawks1":3qovg37z said:
If we win the coin toss we usually defer so the D can take the field and the 12s can rattle the opposing team right away.

But I love this dynamic offense with Percy now. I think I would like the ball first to get a lead for the D to protect. Put more pressure on Demver to keep up. If nothing else We should get 1 extra possession for Percy, Beast, Wilson et al.

Thoughts?

I love getting the ball to start the 3rd and at home, more times than not, the opposing O just wants the hell off the field during their initial possession. They can try to replicate the crowd noise in practice but it's never going to be the same. That and I think the refs get a bit frazzled by it as well. Hard to see everything going on with all that noise in their eyes. I think the advantage is clearly with us when we elect to defer.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Gives us the ball first in the second half. Someone once posted in a thread the logic behind defering the opening kick off. Something about more often than not giving your team one more possession than the opponent. They won a Super Bowl doing it, don't think they should change it now.

Latest posts