Seahawk tower crane Xmas light ideas....(Lights are up!!)

irocdave

Reaction score
I work for a General Contractor that has been constructing buildings in the South Lake Union area for the last decade. As some of you know, the tower crane light show is now a competition. We all know who owns the property and the development company. I am now working on a project on Mercer and our team has been challenged with coming up with the best tower crane display in Seattle. As a team we have been tasked to come up with an over the top display this year. We as a team want a Seahawk theme, the "owner" would enjoy that immensely.

My idea of a gum chewing Pete Carroll in a slay being towed by the LOB with a 2013 Lombardi in the back and a 2014 Lombardi in front of a red nosed Sherman didn't go over so well, to hard to replicate. Looking for in put from the Hawks fans to win this contest...I have a couple other ideas but not going to mention them just in case Buehler is in the house.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Hmm...I googled pics of prior years and it looks like the "blue and green lights, 12 sign" has been done. How much fabrication could you do? Maybe the crane could be hoisting a huge Lombardi Trophy in white twinkle-lights.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would have Sherm and Crabtree in it, Blue Green Red Christmassy showing the Tip, have the lights of the Football almost in Crabs hands and then the tip and the ball going away.

OrFan

Reaction score
irocdave":1r830rnw said:
I work for a General Contractor that has been constructing buildings in the South Lake Union area for the last decade. As some of you know, the tower crane light show is now a competition. We all know who owns the property and the development company. I am now working on a project on Mercer and our team has been challenged with coming up with the best tower crane display in Seattle. As a team we have been tasked to come up with an over the top display this year. We as a team want a Seahawk theme, the "owner" would enjoy that immensely.

My idea of a gum chewing Pete Carroll in a slay being towed by the LOB with a 2013 Lombardi in the back and a 2014 Lombardi in front of a red nosed Sherman didn't go over so well, to hard to replicate. Looking for in put from the Hawks fans to win this contest...I have a couple other ideas but not going to mention them just in case Buehler is in the house.

He probably didn't like the idea of a slay because of all the blood dripping from it. A sleigh on the other hand might work.

Just having a bit of fun there, the spelling really does give it a different meaning.

I like the idea of a huge Lombardi.

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
Lol, yes I suck at spelling. However, we would like to "slay" the competition.

Were limited to what we can do by the city and FAA due to the float planes. I thought it would be cool to set up the lights to turn on and off to music but I don't think the neighbors would appreciate the noise or distraction. Dioramas would be hard to see from the street level but the local news copters and Kenmore air pilots would get a great view of them.

Also have to work within the frame work of the crane profile a couple hundred feet above the street level. See link for perspective.

http://seattle.curbed.com/archives/2013 ... photos.php

Keep in mind the lights would be up for more than a month. They cannot interfere with the operation of the crane, anything hanging below the boom (horizontal portion in front of the operators cab) could interfere with the operation of the crane.

OrFan

Reaction score
Sounds like a challenge. Working crane and safety vs a cool looking display. Make sure and post pictures of whatever you come up with.

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
The display has been chosen and is being built now. Hawk fans will love it. After it's up I will spill some beans as to what it took to make this happen. I saw the displays lit up today in a warehouse, AWESOME is all I can say. Look for it when you come off of I5 on to Mercer the weekend after Thanksgiving.......

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
Correction, crane lights are going up on Saturday November 22nd. Seahawk legal authorization occurred last month....then design was finalized. I was tempted to take some photos Friday but don't want to spoil it, so I didn't.

All I can say is it looks awesome. The other contractors / developers in South Lake Union better come with their A game.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Maybe not for this year but for next year.....maybe a Lombardi wagon with Pete inside it ....like Cinderella? And of course the 4 horsemen of the LOB in front. LOL Of Course Rudolf the Wilson leading....

BillHawks

Reaction score
I drive past this stuff every day on the way home from work, I look forward to seeing your design!

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
Lights are up and look awesome. Next time your near south lake union look just west of the MOHAI / just south of Kenmore air. I'll post some pics shortly.

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
Valley Electric came up with the design and contacted the Hawks for authorization. The Hawks were thrilled with the idea. The frame is about 18' long and 10' high. You can see the second hawk on the left side of the room, neither had the antlers or red nose on them yet. The Hawk logo's are handed and hang on each side of the crane towards the back. The size was limited to a certain weight due to the way it attached to the crane.

IMG 1537 zps4acbd032

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
I took this near dusk, there are many more lights on the crane that you cant see. I'll get some better pictures Monday morning.

IMG 1620 zps2ab77312

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
This should give people a better idea of which construction project to look for. The developer is Vulcan and the tenant is the Allen Institute for Brain Science. The Hawks authorization to use the logo was a no brainer...

D8946350 a9df 423b 8b4f 9fa5fbf365ab zpsee7ac844

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Wow! That is not only super-cool, but it's also really good art. Kudos to Valley Electric for doing such a beautiful, professional job. What will happen to it after Christmas? I'm thinking the team should display it somewhere (minus any red nose or antlers, of course).

I'll have to remember to drive down to Seattle after dark some time before Christmas so I can see it and the all the competitors.

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
Good question. It wasn't cheap to build, several electricians for 3 weeks, metal fabrication / welding and material costs. I will say you could build this yourself and it wouldn't cost that much. Uni Strut frame, two 6'6x18'8" sheets of WWM tack welded to strut frame, then a ton of rope lights and zip ties.
Right now I don't know what will happen to the logo's. I suggested that they be signed by Hawk players then auctioned off for a charity of Vulcans / Seahawks choice. This would be a win-win scenario for the Seahawks, Vulcan, GLY Construction and Valley Electric. Several people have mentioned how cool these would look on top of the houses so who knows.