Focus of Offense: Lynch vs Harvin

Chawks1

Reaction score
We won a Super Bowl being a tough, run first, smash them in the mouth offense. PC created that as our team identity. Everything plays off of that aspect. Read option and play action passes downfield were our building blocks for success in the passing game. And it was effective. Lynch was the cornerstone of this system because no one combines toughness and desire more in each play than he does.

Then OC Bevell got his new toy. Percy is exciting, wicked fast, explosive. Bevell designs fly sweeps, bubble screens, read options for his new toy. But at what cost? We now become a finesse and speed team. Our identity is no longer grit and sweat but rather trickery and flash. It is very frustrating to watch us force feed Harvin on sweeps and bubble screens for minimal success. The biggest negative result though is that you are now bringing the D in closer to the line to cover these plays. Which now creates less success for Lynch when Bevell decides to run it.

Now I am a big fan of both players. However, Percy needs to be the COMPLIMENT to Lynch. I truly believe he is off the charts talented. But we need to use him down field more. Even if it is just as a decoy. His speed and the threat of him going deep will draw the attention of LB's & secondaries which will soften the middle for runs and slant passes to TE or WR's.

Lynch is why we win. Toughness is what is missing. noone brings more of that than #24. Bevell please don't try and reinvent our team!!!

djb28

Reaction score
I tried to write my feelings but in the end I just mimic'd yours. So I will simply say, Agreed.

JonRud

Reaction score
Agree 100%. Our offense is WAY too focused on getting Harvin the ball around the LOS and is killing the rest of the offense. Go back to ground & pound and start pushing some people around.

Wagon12

Reaction score
Also, the play calling, shift in philosophy, etc. I think is exposing RW to a degree... He can't do it without a running game!!! Can we please go back to the formula that actually WORKED LAST YEAR???

(Sidenote: Who would've thought that a healthy Harvin would actually hurt this team more than help it?!?!)

White Devil

Reaction score
Chawks1":385b6u6a said:
We won a Super Bowl being a tough, run first, smash them in the mouth offense. PC created that as our team identity. Everything plays off of that aspect. Read option and play action passes downfield were our building blocks for success in the passing game. And it was effective. Lynch was the cornerstone of this system because no one combines toughness and desire more in each play than he does.

Then OC Bevell got his new toy. Percy is exciting, wicked fast, explosive. Bevell designs fly sweeps, bubble screens, read options for his new toy. But at what cost? We now become a finesse and speed team. Our identity is no longer grit and sweat but rather trickery and flash. It is very frustrating to watch us force feed Harvin on sweeps and bubble screens for minimal success. The biggest negative result though is that you are now bringing the D in closer to the line to cover these plays. Which now creates less success for Lynch when Bevell decides to run it.

Now I am a big fan of both players. However, Percy needs to be the COMPLIMENT to Lynch. I truly believe he is off the charts talented. But we need to use him down field more. Even if it is just as a decoy. His speed and the threat of him going deep will draw the attention of LB's & secondaries which will soften the middle for runs and slant passes to TE or WR's.

Lynch is why we win. Toughness is what is missing. noone brings more of that than #24. Bevell please don't try and reinvent our team!!!

DLyvAh9.gif

OP
OP
Chawks1

Chawks1

Reaction score
Wagon12":3e9dz593 said:
Also, the play calling, shift in philosophy, etc. I think is exposing RW to a degree... He can't do it without a running game!!! Can we please go back to the formula that actually WORKED LAST YEAR???

(Sidenote: Who would've thought that a healthy Harvin would actually hurt this team more than help it?!?!)

I agree, I thought for sure having a healthy Harvin this year would ignite our offense to mega points. But at this pat of the season it doesn't seem to matter because our offense cant seem to get out of 1st gear. Certainly Bevell can find a better way to use him than running sideline to sideline. I hope PC steps in a gets this offense back on track!