Turf might be getting replace soon

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2w4efkup said:
http://www.sounderatheart.com/2014/10/14/6975139/sounders-want-new-turf-centurylink-field

Sounders raising a stink about the condition of it, apparently hasn't been replaced since 2011...

Good, it needs to be replaced. It looks like absolute crap.

Wish they would bite the bullet and put in real grass, like we were promised. (yes, I know the reasons why this won't happen)

Basis4day

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":12vz19xb said:
Glasgow Seahawk":12vz19xb said:
http://www.sounderatheart.com/2014/10/14/6975139/sounders-want-new-turf-centurylink-field

Sounders raising a stink about the condition of it, apparently hasn't been replaced since 2011...

Good, it needs to be replaced. It looks like absolute crap.

Wish they would bite the bullet and put in real grass, like we were promised. (yes, I know the reasons why this won't happen)

You think real grass is going to hold up better than field turf? How much complaining is there on this board because of Fed Ex and Soldier field every time the Hawks play there?

razgriz737

Reaction score
Good. The turf looks dreadful at times. As a Sounders fan, it's an absolute embarrassment.

I mean just look at these photos from the Houston game.
Screen Shot 2014 08 10 at 75726 PM0

kidhawk

Reaction score
razgriz737":1ba3dp2e said:
Good. The turf looks dreadful at times. As a Sounders fan, it's an absolute embarrassment.

Wasn't that game taken from a game directly after a non sports related event that had taken place there, and wasn't that the main reason the field looked that bad on that particular day?

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Popeyejones":360kpfmw said:
^^^ what are the reasons?

1) Questions of durability due to constantly being wet
2) Lengthy time frame for a proper install (upwards of 8 months according to Hanauer)
3) Lack of natural light due to N/S orientation of the stadium and shadows caused by the roof.
4) Impact of non Seahawks/Sounders related events to the playing surface (concerts, moto cross, etc)

Personally I think 1 and 3 are bit overblown, and can be overcome in a variety of ways (heated coils, grow lights, etc) if the Seahawks and Sounders were actually willing to pony up the dough.

Number 4 is already having negative impact on the field turf, so I don't think it really changes anything.

2 is by far the biggest hurdle, IMO.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad by now if we hadn't let the soccer players ruin it. It's a cool hobby and all... :D

razgriz737

Reaction score
kidhawk":8c51s33b said:
razgriz737":8c51s33b said:

Wasn't that game taken from a game directly after a non sports related event that had taken place there, and wasn't that the main reason the field looked that bad on that particular day?
There was an Amazon company picnic the previous day. But this is far from the only time the turf has looked bad.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Seems like it would be for everyone's benefit, and both teams are bringing in great money. Just do it, its a no brainer

chris98251

Reaction score
That shot was done after an event on it that wasn't sports related? Did they have time to do the rake and groom afterwards?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Wasn't there a big story on the news about how those black pellets on the newer turf fields give you cancer?

I thought I saw something on my Google feed about how some lawmaker is demanding testing, and it makes sense if you say those are made from tires and tires have all kinds of dangerous chemicals in them (one reason you aren't supposed to burn them and one reason they are so difficult to dispose of in the first place).

I think it was mainly the goalies in the story but if I played for an NFL team I know I might be a little bit concerned if my field had the same stuff on it. It seems like CLink does, because the replays always show the black bits flying up when someone drags a foot or slams into the turf.

Basis4day

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":kmwizzmv said:
Wasn't there a big story on the news about how those black pellets on the newer turf fields give you cancer?

I thought I saw something on my Google feed about how some lawmaker is demanding testing, and it makes sense if you say those are made from tires and tires have all kinds of dangerous chemicals in them (one reason you aren't supposed to burn them and one reason they are so difficult to dispose of in the first place).

I think it was mainly the goalies in the story but if I played for an NFL team I know I might be a little bit concerned if my field had the same stuff on it. It seems like CLink does, because the replays always show the black bits flying up when someone drags a foot or slams into the turf.

Everything causes cancer but a heart attack.

kidhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2bqd8pqv said:

This is why I refuse to eat the black pellet special on gameday.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":esahmeuy said:
TwistedHusky":esahmeuy said:

This is why I refuse to eat the black pellet special on gameday.

Get out of here with your new age dietary propaganda.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score

Bevell ran that loop around swing pass to Walters so many times in practice, Walter left treads in the turf. Personally, I think walters loop around was wider than that during the game but the proof is in the pudding.

Latest posts