Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Defenders can no longer “land on the passer“ during pass

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • "A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as 'stuffing' a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for in (a) above. When tackling a passer who is in a defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down or land on top of him with all or most of the defender's weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up the passer with the defensive player's arms and not land on the passer with all or most of his body weight."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2426 ... rs-penalty

This is going to be pretty hard on the defender, who will now have to turn the QB after he has him wrapped up to prevent falling on top of him. And once he has turned the QB, he will have to be careful not to “violently throw him down.”

This is going to make legally tackling a QB very difficult, as long as the QB throws the ball.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• I predict we're eight years away from it turning into flag football and teams are hanging 100 points on average defenses because the defense has to just stand around most of the time. :|
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Wow. They are always coming up with stupid rules for the marquee guys.

When are they going to implement the do not pass the line of scrimmage do not collect 200 dollars rule, so that Russell is actually protected.

Seriously though, I do not like it one bit. It won’t be called for Russ regardless, because refs consider him a running qb regardless of set up.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Hmm....inspired by

"Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does"
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

• They are killing the game of football.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:I predict we're eight years away from it turning into flag football and teams are hanging 100 points on average defenses because the defense has to just stand around most of the time. :|

I'll take the under on the number of years.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• RolandDeschain wrote:I predict we're eight years away from it turning into flag football and teams are hanging 100 points on average defenses because the defense has to just stand around most of the time. :|

I'd say 8 years or one really bad injury (or worse)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Stupid. How are defenders even sposed to know the ball is out of his hands?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:

This is going to make legally tackling a QB very difficult, as long as the QB throws the ball.

Just tackle him, the rule is to prevent the nonsense of trying to hurt or intimidate the QB by tossing him or putting all of their 350 lbs weight on top of him trying to hurt him.

I mean, I love it when our guys do it...........but it pisses me off when it happens to Russell. So I can see how the rule is a good thing.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Another rule set up that will require refs to make really hard decisions in important situations and continue to make the game harder on defenses. Wonderful. Can't wait to see drives extended from QBs taking regular shots just after releasing the ball for an incompletion.

Let's just get the flag football going already.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:Another rule set up that will require refs to make really hard decisions in important situations and continue to make the game harder on defenses. Wonderful. Can't wait to see drives extended from QBs taking regular shots just after releasing the ball for an incompletion.

This.

Heaven forbid we put the accountability on the actual quarterback to make sure he gets rid of the ball soon enough so that a defender can't legally hit them. Why, that might make it more difficult to gain yardage on offense, and we just can't have that. Hell no.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Next they will have the defender announce his intentions “ stop or I’ll be forced to tackle!” And read him his rights under the new CBA.... before proceeding with the cuddle.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• Rules like this cause so many problems. Refs now have to measure intent. Was he trying to injure? Was his tackle too rough? Its very subjective and will only lead to inconsistent calls and more damn flags and game changing calls.
    This is another terrible rule giving the refs (and possibly the league) too much influence on the game.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• When are they going to issue tutus to QBs?
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:Next they will have the defender announce his intentions “ stop or I’ll be forced to tackle!” And read him his rights under the new CBA.... before proceeding with the cuddle.

LOL pretty much
    A.D.I.D.A.S.
    NET Practice Squad

• The Game is going to lose a lot of fans by going away from what made it
    this far..Injuries are part of sports and it's funny that I see way more since
    they messed with the rules than before.
    All the rule changes do is make soft and weak players for the most part.
    I understand the helmet hits ect but anything else?Noooo
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• If Russell Wilson wasn't so incredibly fun to watch, I would already be out, this is ridiculous and I don't envision myself watching this league much longer.

I have no idea how it will effect ratings, but the casuals out number us and most of them won't care if it helps there fantasy stats, so many new fans have come along the last 10 yrs or so do not even realize how much better the game was in the 90's into the mid 00's. 1994-2007 was the league's prime, The 70's & 80's were cool too in their own way. it's all been downhill since the new CBA, and whenever it was when the league inacted the defenseless player rules.

I would take great pleasue in watching the league have even lower ratings than it did last year. The NFL can die in a fire.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:Next they will have the defender announce his intentions “ stop or I’ll be forced to tackle!” And read him his rights under the new CBA.... before proceeding with the cuddle.

Cuddle play on 3...break.

Now what is the cuddle play??? It is where the QB goes back and gets hit for a 15 yd unsportsmanlike cuddle. First down.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Honestly, why even bother watching now?
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:Another rule set up that will require refs to make really hard decisions in important situations and continue to make the game harder on defenses. Wonderful.

This is why this rule is a horrible idea. It will be very difficult to officiate fairly and consistently. They need to be doing less of this, not more. The refs already have a job that's impossible to get right much of the time due to the complexity of the rules and the nature of the game.

And LOL at the flag football comments. While the NFL isn't as brutally violent as it used to be, it's still pretty damn far from flag football.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Time for a cuddle guys..Don't want to hurt anyone!
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Another rule set up that will require refs to make really hard decisions in important situations and continue to make the game harder on defenses. Wonderful.

This is why this rule is a horrible idea. It will be very difficult to officiate fairly and consistently. They need to be doing less of this, not more. The refs already have a job that's impossible to get right much of the time due to the complexity of the rules and the nature of the game.

And LOL at the flag football comments. While the NFL isn't as brutally violent as it used to be, it's still pretty damn far from flag football.

Shhhh, dont let these couch potatoes figure out how fun ultimate frisbee is to play and watch.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:If Russell Wilson wasn't so incredibly fun to watch, I would already be out, this is ridiculous and I don't envision myself watching this league much longer.

I have no idea how it will effect ratings, but the casuals out number us and most of them won't care if it helps there fantasy stats, so many new fans have come along the last 10 yrs or so do not even realize how much better the game was in the 90's into the mid 00's. 1994-2007 was the league's prime, The 70's & 80's were cool too in their own way. it's all been downhill since the new CBA, and whenever it was when the league inacted the defenseless player rules.

I would take great pleasue in watching the league have even lower ratings than it did last year. The NFL can die in a fire.

I think part of the problem is that theyve done patch work 'fixes' that require a higher level of judgment to enforce. The NFL has been simply awful in anticipating what changes they make actually do, like the whole kickoff debacle.

There are aspects of the game I appreciate more from that era but the sheer athleticism of todays players is astounding.

I dont really want to see more Ricardo Lockette injuries because not only does it slow the game down to 20, 30 minute standstill, its some dudes life being turned upside down for being in the wrong place at the wrong time on something that most would agree didnt serve an integral purpose.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• fenderbender123 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Another rule set up that will require refs to make really hard decisions in important situations and continue to make the game harder on defenses. Wonderful. Can't wait to see drives extended from QBs taking regular shots just after releasing the ball for an incompletion.

This.

Heaven forbid we put the accountability on the actual quarterback to make sure he gets rid of the ball soon enough so that a defender can't legally hit them. Why, that might make it more difficult to gain yardage on offense, and we just can't have that. Hell no.

Bring back the Wishbone and Option!
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• I look at it this way, they just gave the officials another phantom call to steer games.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• mrt144 wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Another rule set up that will require refs to make really hard decisions in important situations and continue to make the game harder on defenses. Wonderful.

Shhhh, dont let these couch potatoes figure out how fun ultimate frisbee is to play and watch.

I know. I watched some of it on Stadiumtv Channel 35.4 here in boise.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

I know. I watched some of it on Stadiumtv Channel 35.4 here in boise.

Same! I was flipping around and came across it here in Seattle and lost like 4 hours of my life. It scratched that off season itch.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:I look at it this way, they just gave the officials another phantom call to steer games.

Damn right that will happen.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:

for now

Look at the rule changes over the last 20 years. What's in store for the league the next 20?

Multimillion dollar class action lawsuits? ratings drops? decrease in youth participation? more rule changes to soften the impacts? (that was just the last few years)

If you're not worried about the future of the league then you should be
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

for now

Look at the rule changes over the last 20 years. What's in store for the league the next 20?

Multimillion dollar class action lawsuits? ratings drops? decrease in youth participation? more rule changes to soften the impacts? (that was just the last few years)

I think the most damning thing will be youth participation. We already have parents directing their kids to other sports that have less chance for brain injuries. But how are you going to call a parent wrong for looking out for the long term health of their kid? You can call em soft and whatnot and try and brow beat them with a toughness plea but push comes to shove you still wont get an ever growing percentage of parents to put their kids at risk for a game that has perilous few discrete short term benefits.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

for now

My problem is at some point with all these rule changes the game of football ceases to be football, and if ratings drop and people stop going? It's because of these rule changes, game length, stoppages, reviews, on and on.

I get that we need to make the game safer, but IMO football is no different than other hazardous jobs where you understand the risk, yet are willing to do the work because you love it and/or it pays a lot. Fishing boats in Alaska, underwater welding, the military, etc.

Ask the players, they DON'T like these rule changes. They just want to hit and play the game they love for the most money possible.

I truly believe if we keep going down this road, the game of football will be ruined and will eventually disappear. Or cease to be entertaining for the vast majority of fans.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• I noticed in some tackling drills by the Seahawks DL, that they appeared to be practicing keeping their faces up on tackles, as expected, but also on bag drills, they were turning the bag and rolling to the right of the bag.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

for now

My problem is at some point with all these rule changes the game of football ceases to be football, and if ratings drop and people stop going? It's because of these rule changes, game length, stoppages, reviews, on and on.

I get that we need to make the game safer, but IMO football is no different than other hazardous jobs where you understand the risk, yet are willing to do the work because you love it and/or it pays a lot. Fishing boats in Alaska, underwater welding, the military, etc.

Ask the players, they DON'T like these rule changes. They just want to hit and play the game they love for the most money possible.

I truly believe if we keep going down this road, the game of football will be ruined and will eventually disappear. Or cease to be entertaining for the vast majority of fans.

But there isn't a pipeline for loggers or alaskan fishermen that starts when kids are in 5th or 6th grade. Generally jobs like that are jobs of last resort to some extent not entertainment jobs that are highly lucrative. Like I said in the above post above its going to be a situation where the floor falls out and whatever the product looks like will be played by a dwindling number of folks.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

for now

But there isn't a pipeline for loggers or alaskan fishermen that starts when kids are in 5th or 6th grade. Generally jobs like that are jobs of last resort to some extent not entertainment jobs that are highly lucrative. Like I said in the above post above its going to be a situation where the floor falls out and whatever the product looks like will be played by a dwindling number of folks.

That said, the amount of dwindling folks shall probably end up changing the dynamic of actual play and/or fandom. Without which there will be less demand for said interaction amongst group activity. Ending up with the total dissolution of said sporting activity by costs depleted by said players that are not providing adequate entertainment value. Thus fishing, camping, hunting, mowing the lawn, volleyball on sand, and other entertainment ventures shall consume time and energy.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Well there could be a evolution of people that play the game because they love it not want to retire from work after 5 years, what the game was about a lot back in the 40's and 50's, players also had full time jobs as well. Thye may not need that, and we may not have as many freak athletes. But maybe they will pull back the pussyfication once the attendance starts to drop. It is a choice people make to do, the dangers of it are blatantly evident. If Mommy doesn't want Junior to play fine, the guy next door will get better for it by getting more playing time and probably eclipse the young guy who's parents want him to play soccer and really wasn't into it anyway.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• If you pay money for an NFL ticket or merch at this juncture you're a sucker.

After watching players being called down after being touched standing up on a punt return, and players getting flagged for tackling, but of course no flag on ragdolling the QB.

It's Over
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Well there could be a evolution of people that play the game because they love it not want to retire from work after 5 years, what the game was about a lot back in the 40's and 50's, players also had full time jobs as well. Thye may not need that, and we may not have as many freak athletes. But maybe they will pull back the pussyfication once the attendance starts to drop. It is a choice people make to do, the dangers of it are blatantly evident. If Mommy doesn't want Junior to play fine, the guy next door will get better for it by getting more playing time and probably eclipse the young guy who's parents want him to play soccer and really wasn't into it anyway.

Attendance drops as interest drops. And I dont think attendance issues have anything to do with rule changes. Quite the opposite, I think rule changes are a reaction to dwindling interest.

When interest drops at the highest level, it drops at the youth level.

These kids will have a lot more choices than soccer to go and utilize their athletic abilities. And we are already seeing it. There might not be a "guy next door" to benefit from the space left. But also, a lack of competition there is not going to make one kid better. I think that's the biggest issue the NFL is facing. You have a generation of fans who grew up with the game passing on. Their kids (us) are holding an interest but their is burnout. The generations behind are finding something different to spend their time and money on.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think it will be something drastic within a decade, however. Either way, the NFL is a multibillion dollar industry. They have the resources.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    for now

That said, the amount of dwindling folks shall probably end up changing the dynamic of actual play and/or fandom. Without which there will be less demand for said interaction amongst group activity. Ending up with the total dissolution of said sporting activity by costs depleted by said players that are not providing adequate entertainment value. Thus fishing, camping, hunting, mowing the lawn, volleyball on sand, and other entertainment ventures shall consume time and energy.

No doubt. The activity ink has to spill somewhere.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• The problem is cost also, When I played Baseball or Basketball and Football the costs to sign up for a league were like 8 dollars, 8 dollars, and 20 dollars. That's from 8 to 12 years old, Pony League was like 12 bucks.

No you have all star, and out of season leagues, preferred leagues etc in almost every sport for kids that seem to have a gift for the game and are not just learning and or participants that can cost parents 500 or more dollars, we are killing it at a early level by excluding those that are not well off. As far as camping and fishing and all that I think that's a minority as well, and we know that mowing the lawn is a lost skill in todays postage stamp lots and apartment living.

Gamin and sitting on their ass seems to be more prominent, kids don't ride bikes and get dirty like in years past also, I am talking in general. population explosion and safety make it riskier, pick up games and street football and guys going to a filed and playing pick up baseball doesn't happen as much either. Schools and parks worry about liability of the field conditions, they want to save them for the elite programs that will pay for usage in a lot of places.

If you don't live in a very country area like Kansas and Indiana or some such place where population density is still low you have all these things happening that were not 30 and 40 years ago when people developed their interests in things.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:The problem is cost also, When I played Baseball or Basketball and Football the costs to sign up for a league were like 8 dollars, 8 dollars, and 20 dollars. That's from 8 to 12 years old, Pony League was like 12 bucks.

No you have all star, and out of season leagues, preferred leagues etc in almost every sport for kids that seem to have a gift for the game and are not just learning and or participants that can cost parents 500 or more dollars, we are killing it at a early level by excluding those that are not well off. As far as camping and fishing and all that I think that's a minority as well, and we know that mowing the lawn is a lost skill in todays postage stamp lots and apartment living.

Gamin and sitting on their ass seems to be more prominent, kids don't ride bikes and get dirty like in years past also, I am talking in general. population explosion and safety make it riskier, pick up games and street football and guys going to a filed and playing pick up baseball doesn't happen as much either. Schools and parks worry about liability of the field conditions, they want to save them for the elite programs that will pay for usage in a lot of places.

If you don't live in a very country area like Kansas and Indiana or some such place where population density is still low you have all these things happening that were not 30 and 40 years ago when people developed their interests in things.

FWIW, I'm 34 and did just about every sport besides basketball well into high school but also cultivated a huge love of games, video/board/athletic or otherwise at the same time. There seems to be too much rigidity in cross discipline appreciation and participation. Like people are too willing to exclude and define themselves by one thing that they go all in on rather than developing a huge repertoire of interests that apply the same underlying framework of practice, coaching, teamwork and camaraderie.

One could argue that hyper specialization and exclusion is the outcome of structural changes and the end game lucrativeness of that specialization but it's a shame to me that people don't see the commonality between a game like football and a game like Overwatch or Fortnite and being able to appreciate both on similar terms.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

for now

I'm really not. You know why? Because as much as I love my Seahawks and as much as I love football Sundays with my friends, if the the NFL were disbanded tomorrow and there was never another football game played ever, life would go on and I'd find something else to do with my time. Yes, I would be bummed for awhile, maybe even a long while, but then I'd get over it and move on.

But really, I'm not at all worried that anything like that is going to happen so I guess that makes it easier to feel that way.

Yeah, the NFL has changed and continues to change. Yet, I just watched a couple of preseason games yesterday and was still plenty entertained by what I saw on the field. Including plenty of HARD hits and dudes beating the crap out of each other.

Like I said, the NFL is still pretty damn far from flag football.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• It’s scary that this is a penalty now. Defender even made an attempt to both keep his helmet up and roll to the left of the QB.

Also, I thought the passer had to actually throw the ball for the “body weight” rule to come into play. Confusing stuff.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• This is not landing on the passer but this was probably the worse penalty I've seen so far

SF49r
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:I look at it this way, they just gave the officials another phantom call to steer games.

This is the case, whether intended or not. We already know which teams will benefit from this rule.
    Like I’ve said for a long while now, the rule book needs to be streamlined and condensed, not expanded.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• SF49r wrote:This is not landing on the passer but this was probably the worse penalty I've seen so far

Yep, that one and the clip above both are BS penalty’s. The NFL at some point needs to realize they are over officiating games and they themselves are killing their product. Their games have no flow because of the constant flag fest. If a call is obvious call it, if it’s ticky tack or you “think you MAY have see something”, don’t call anything.
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• It's the preseason, they are being over sensitive on throwing flags to collect feedback and it will be much different in the regular season.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:It's the preseason, they are being over sensitive on throwing flags to collect feedback and it will be much different in the regular season.

Sure, to a point. There will still be more unnecessary flags thrown however. The NFL has a huge officiating/rulebook problem, and until they admit it and take real steps to fix it, the game will suffer and the fanbase will dwindle.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Despite the false narrative that the NFL is in trouble, fan base is dwindling, etc. it continues to dominate the ratings.

http://adage.com/article/media/ratings-slum/311777/

According to Nielsen live-plus-same-day data, NFL games accounted for 37 of the year's top 50 broadcasts, or nearly three-quarters (74 percent) of the most-watched programs on TV. That marked a 32 percent increase compared to 2016, when the NFL laid claim to 28 of the top 50 most-watched programs, and was flat versus the 37 top airings the league chalked up in the previous year.

Are NFL ratings down? Yep.

Are overall TV ratings down? Yep.

Does the NFL continue to absolutely dominate the ratings? Yep.

Then there's also this interesting bit.

NBC's "Sunday Night Football," which remained the No. 2 NFL window with an average delivery of 18.2 million viewers and a 10.3 household rating, accounted for six of 2017's top 50 broadcasts. And while that marked an 11 percent drop from the year-ago 20.4 million viewers and 11.4 rating, the margin separating "Sunday Night Football" from its general-entertainment competition is only widening. In eight head-to-head fall matchups, NBC's premiere NFL showcase averaged a 6.5 rating in the target demo, which works out to 8.38 million adults 18-49; by comparison, AMC's "The Walking Dead" drew a 3.8, or around 4.9 million members of the dollar demo.

So while overall TV ratings are down, the NFL is actually becoming more dominant in the ratings than they already were and they were already an absolute juggernaut.

So again, despite what people would like to believe or how people feel, the NFL is pretty damn far from in trouble.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• The old adage is that you can find a penalty or holding on every play. But this seems infinitely more the case with this helmet rule. I'm watching preseason games and I can spot helmet lowering on literally every play at some position group. Like Sherman has indicated, it's a matter of physiology. But it's not called until it is. And for the most part, it seems like it's the ref's discretion as to whether he thought a hit was too hard or not. So just like every big running play you look for a yellow flag, every third down stop you looking for a flag in the secondary, now every defensive stop you'll look for a yellow flag that's entirely at the ref's discretion. In a game of inches, this is way too "swingy".
    Jac
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:16 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information