Harvin=Galloway

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I saw Joey Galloway on a college football talk show and it hit me that Percy Harvin and Joey Galloway are basically the same player. In 14 years in the NFL Galloway never made the pro bowl. He was drafted by the Seahawks and throughout his career he was considered a WR. Galloway was never the WR that most thought he could be. Some of his greatest success in a Seahawks uniform came in the return game and via reverses. His best game as a Seahawk came in a game vs Jacksonville where he had two long TDs. Neither of which was as a WR. That downfield threat that WRs are supposed to have just never fully materialized with Galloway. The Seahawks ended up getting two #1s for him from the Cowboys so him being drafted by the Seahawks worked out just fine!

Percy Harvin was also drafted as a WR. He has had limited success at the position much like Galloway. One could easily argue that the majority of his success also has come in the return game. Unfortunately it is Minnesota that reaped the benefit of extra draft capital from Harvin. Will Harvin have as long of a career as Galloway? Doubtful.

These two similar players are guys that are thrust into the WR role yet display little of the characteristics of a prototypical WR.
Anybody have a good idea yet on whether that conditional 6th for Harvin has moved up to a 5th yet? Or hopefully a 4th?

BlueBlood

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":160o92rz said:
I saw Joey Galloway on a college football talk show and it hit me that Percy Harvin and Joey Galloway are basically the same player. In 14 years in the NFL Galloway never made the pro bowl. He was drafted by the Seahawks and throughout his career he was considered a WR. Galloway was never the WR that most thought he could be. Some of his greatest success in a Seahawks uniform came in the return game and via reverses. His best game as a Seahawk came in a game vs Jacksonville where he had two long TDs. Neither of which was as a WR. That downfield threat that WRs are supposed to have just never fully materialized with Galloway. The Seahawks ended up getting two #1s for him from the Cowboys so him being drafted by the Seahawks worked out just fine!

Percy Harvin was also drafted as a WR. He has had limited success at the position much like Galloway. One could easily argue that the majority of his success also has come in the return game. Unfortunately it is Minnesota that reaped the benefit of extra draft capital from Harvin. Will Harvin have as long of a career as Galloway? Doubtful.

These two similar players are guys that are thrust into the WR role yet display little of the characteristics of a prototypical WR.
Anybody have a good idea yet on whether that conditional 6th for Harvin has moved up to a 5th yet? Or hopefully a 4th?

Dude you're not serious but you're dead wrong.. Galloway was the best deep ball receiver in the history of this franchise.. He'd be lethal in the offense and had a waaaaaay better career than Harvin can dream of at this point. Lame.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3dl0hn3l said:

This thread is an absolute failure in every way. You're waaaaay off.

Ps

WTF are you smoking??

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Well, one difference is that we got 2 first rounders for Galloway but only a likely 6th for Pussy Harvin so, um......no, not the same unfortunately.

tdigitee

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":57wup0cr said:
That downfield threat that WRs are supposed to have just never fully materialized with Galloway. The Seahawks ended up getting two #1s for him from the Cowboys so him being drafted by the Seahawks worked out just fine!

When he had Moon throwing to him in the late 1990s, Galloway was a pretty awesome deep threat. I do agree it was amazing they got two #1s for a guy the Holmgren regime decided they didn't want to deal with any longer (which now that I write that does ring similar to what Minnesota did with Harvin). And don't forget they got a #1 for Mirer!

BlueBlood":57wup0cr said:
Galloway was the best deep ball receiver in the history of this franchise.. He'd be lethal in the offense and had a waaaaaay better career than Harvin can dream of at this point. Lame.

Hmmm...I have not compared stats, but for me Daryl Turner was the best deep threat the Seahawks have had. Galloway was solid esp. with Moon, but Krieg to Turner was a fantastic combination! I still remember Pete Gross' (IIRC) call on the 80 yard bomb on the first play at Denver back in 1984 - great memory.

Signed,

Robb Thomas

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
BlueBlood":3i00f7t7 said:
oldhawkfan":3i00f7t7 said:

Dude you're not serious but you're dead wrong.. Galloway was the best deep ball receiver in the history of this franchise.. He'd be lethal in the offense and had a waaaaaay better career than Harvin can dream of at this point. Lame.

Ummm no! Daryl Turner has the highest yards per catch in seahawk history. Goaway didn't do very much till he went to Tampa. Yes he had flashes but he was not worth an # 8 pick,,,, horrible draft class. There are similarities between the two IMO

HawkWow

Reaction score
This franchise has done very well with possession receivers. Deep ball guys, not so much. Galloway should have been the best receiver not named Largent to ever wear a Hawk uni. But Joey was about the money. Turner was a good one for sure and so was Ray Butler, but to this day, this team has not done well with speed guys. Anyone remember Byron Franklin? I had hope for him at one point, great kid, but I think we lost him to injury (after not doing very much, at all).

pehawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":2x9864d0 said:
This franchise has done very well with possession receivers. Deep ball guys, not so much. Galloway should have been the best receiver not named Largent to ever wear a Hawk uni. But Joey was about the money. Turner was a good one for sure and so was Ray Butler, but to this day, this team has not done well with speed guys. Anyone remember Byron Franklin? I had hope for him at one point, great kid, but I think we lost him to injury (after not doing very much, at all).

Ray Butler beat those bastard Patriots, in Foxboro, in 1986. You bet your ass I remember him.

(pehawk takes out his Raymond Butler signed lotion bottle and rocks it gently while reaching for his breathe-rite strip)

OrFan

Reaction score
The one thing similar with these players is that at some point the team felt they needed to force the ball their way, which ended up causing losses.

In 1999 the team was 8-2 while Gallopaway was doing his stupid little hold out. He came back, the team felt the need to try to force the ball to him and ended up losing 5 of 6 games. From 8-2 and finishing 9-7. I was pissed! I was so happy to get rid of him.

HawkWow

Reaction score
pehawk":2jf0ttm6 said:
HawkWow":2jf0ttm6 said:

Ray Butler beat those bastard Patriots, in Foxboro, in 1986. You bet your ass I remember him.

(pehawk takes out his Raymond Butler signed lotion bottle and rocks it gently while reaching for his breathe-rite strip)

I once thought of Paul Richardson as a deep threat.

Orfan...do you recall the game Galloway came back? It seems like it was a Monday night game and there were concerns about his conditioning etc. Then he lit it up and we were all very happy, instantly forgiving Galloway for his sins. We're like that.

HawkWow

Reaction score
But while on the subject of Harvin...I wonder how he's diggin' life with the Jets (?) 0-6 now?

The best Harvin can hope for is to go down in history as the asshole nobody kicked to.

OrFan

Reaction score
HawkWow":2kw0d8gn said:
pehawk":2kw0d8gn said:
HawkWow":2kw0d8gn said:

I once thought of Paul Richardson as a deep threat.

Orfan...do you recall the game Galloway came back? It seems like it was a Monday night game and there were concerns about his conditioning etc. Then he lit it up and we were all very happy, instantly forgiving Galloway for his sins. We're like that.

I was at every game, and I was pissed. Yeah, he still did some good things, but he seemed to ruin the team chemistry. The thing I loved him best for was the two first round picks from Dallas. He never panned out for them either, which made it even better.

OrFan

Reaction score
HawkWow":3h1k9d1b said:
But while on the subject of Harvin...I wonder how he's diggin' life with the Jets (?) 0-6 now?

The best Harvin can hope for is to go down in history as the asshole nobody kicked to.

Karma is a bitch. He deserves to be nothing with that attitude.

mikeak

Reaction score
Harvin 6 catches, average 4.5 yards tonight.

A shame Seattle couldn't figure out how to use him...

sutz

Reaction score
IIRC, the fly route was the only route Galloway could run, which made him entirely unsuited for Homgren's pure version of the WC passing game. I seem to recall his attitude being similar to Harvin's in a "give me the damn ball" sort of way.

;)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
mikeak":4iu7wvv0 said:

He actually finished with 1 catch for 6 total receiving yards...

Not that the Jets had any interest in throwing today.

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidSeven":8u44c1zk said:
mikeak":8u44c1zk said:

Harvin had a few carries to go with that catch but basically looked like....well, a 6th rd pick. But he sure does make Jeremy Kerley look good (and fast) out there. I will be semi surprised if Harvin's still in the league this time next year. He's been reduced to a one trick pony with more downside than up. Aloha Biotch.

mikeak

Reaction score
HawkWow":2lsiimbo said:
DavidSeven":2lsiimbo said:
mikeak":2lsiimbo said:

Harvin had a few carries to go with that catch but basically looked like....well, a 6th rd pick. But he sure does make Jeremy Kerley look good (and fast) out there. I will be semi surprised if Harvin's still in the league this time next year. He's been reduced to a one trick pony with more downside than up. Aloha Biotch.

I might have looked at run vs receiving