Broncos-Lions

RiverDog

Reaction score
A strange game last night, at least on one series. The Lions offense got cranked up last night, routing a Broncos team that had recently gotten red hot, having won 6 of their last 7 games and placing themselves in the middle of the playoff hunt, just one game behind the division leading Chiefs.

The series that was strange occurred at the end of the 4th quarter with the Broncos down by 3 TD's but threatening to score. On 2nd and goal from the 9, Russell Wilson completed a pass in which the receiver was marked short of the goal line but that replay showed he broke the plane, but the Broncos did not challenge. On third and goal from the one, once again, a Broncos running back was marked short of the goal but that the replay clearly showed that he had scored, but once again, the Broncos did not challenge. Then on 4th and goal, the Broncos finally scored, but the TD was nullified by a penalty for lining up offside even though the camera angle showed that there was no Broncos lining up in the neutral zone. On 4th and goal from the 6, the Broncos opted to take the FG even though it still left them behind by 3 scores going into the 4th quarter.

Then the camera zoomed in on the Broncos sideline, showing head coach Sean Payton going absolutely ballistic on Wilson even though from at least what we could see, it wasn't Russell's fault on that series.

When questioned about the incident in the post-game presser, Payton went off on the reporter asking a fair, expected question as the demonstration was quite public, telling him that it was none of his business. When asked the same question, Russell gave his typical PC generic answer, saying that they really wanted to score a TD on that series.

Any guesses as to why Payton got so pissed at Russell? Why didn't the Broncos challenge one of the two plays where they appeared to have scored? Why did they settle for the FG? And how in the hell could the Broncos get called offside on a critical 3rd and goal?

That was as strange of a series I've seen this year.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
A strange game last night, at least on one series. The Lions offense got cranked up last night, routing a Broncos team that had recently gotten red hot, having won 6 of their last 7 games and placing themselves in the middle of the playoff hunt, just one game behind the division leading Chiefs.

The series that was strange occurred at the end of the 4th quarter with the Broncos down by 3 TD's but threatening to score. On 2nd and goal from the 9, Russell Wilson completed a pass in which the receiver was marked short of the goal line but that replay showed he broke the plane, but the Broncos did not challenge. On third and goal from the one, once again, a Broncos running back was marked short of the goal but that the replay clearly showed that he had scored, but once again, the Broncos did not challenge. Then on 4th and goal, the Broncos finally scored, but the TD was nullified by a penalty for lining up offside even though the camera angle showed that there was no Broncos lining up in the neutral zone. On 4th and goal from the 6, the Broncos opted to take the FG even though it still left them behind by 3 scores going into the 4th quarter.

Then the camera zoomed in on the Broncos sideline, showing head coach Sean Payton going absolutely ballistic on Wilson even though from at least what we could see, it wasn't Russell's fault on that series.

When questioned about the incident in the post-game presser, Payton went off on the reporter asking a fair, expected question as the demonstration was quite public, telling him that it was none of his business. When asked the same question, Russell gave his typical PC generic answer, saying that they really wanted to score a TD on that series.

Any guesses as to why Payton got so pissed at Russell? Why didn't the Broncos challenge one of the two plays where they appeared to have scored? Why did they settle for the FG? And how in the hell could the Broncos get called offside on a critical 3rd and goal?

That was as strange of a series I've seen this year.
I saw someone posted that it was because Me3 had the next play go off too fast
before SP could call a timeout or throw a C flag.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
I saw someone posted that it was because Me3 had the next play go off too fast
before SP could call a timeout or throw a C flag.
Just looking at the play-by-play on that series, the 2nd down play started at 2:14, the 3rd down play at 1:30, and the 4th down play at 0.46. Take away approximately 10 seconds for those plays to be ran, that's still over 30 seconds between both plays for Payton to have challenged.

Besides, the Broncos were behind by 3 scores, and it was late in the 3rd quarter. If anything, they were taking too long in between plays given the circumstances. I can't buy that reason.

And that wasn't the only strange thing. Why kick a FG when all it did was to cut the lead to 17 points, still a 3 score game going into the 4th quarter? Doesn't he have confidence that his offense can score from the 6 yard line?

IMO Payton and/or his guys in the booth are the ones that need to take the blame on that weird series.

Last edited:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Just looking at the play-by-play on that series, the 2nd down play started at 2:14, the 3rd down play at 1:30, and the 4th down play at 0.46. Take away approximately 10 seconds for those plays to be ran, that's still over 30 seconds between both plays for Payton to have challenged.

Besides, the Broncos were behind by 3 scores, and it was late in the 3rd quarter. If anything, they were taking too long in between plays given the circumstances.
I just posted what someone else said happened.
It doesn't make sense but SP going off hard on Me3 was for a reason.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
I just posted what someone else said happened.
It doesn't make sense but SP going off hard on Me3 was for a reason.
I realize that, and I saw someone make the same comment. I wasn't being critical of you. I was just explaining my reasoning.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Definitely on the coach there - and the zebras - three straight screwups from the stripes - one of them may have been close but the offsides was just bad bad bad - total made up garbage

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Definitely on the coach there - and the zebras - three straight screwups from the stripes - one of them may have been close but the offsides was just bad bad bad - total made up garbage
As a rule, on a close call at the goal line, the refs will call it a TD as all scoring plays are automatically reviewed, relieving the team from having to risk a challenge.

Likewise, to call an offensive offside is extremely rare, and this one had to have been a matter of an inch or so if they were offside, and at a critical time, 4th and goal from inside the one. I think most of us would agree that the refs should refrain from making those calls at that point in a game unless it's pretty obvious.

The Broncos got screwed big time. Payton had a right to be upset, but why Russell? Did Russ say the wrong thing at the wrong time? It still seems strange.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
The NFL refs have shown no objectivity in many of their calls. The rule changes and interpretations of rules have led to some pretty egregious calls and no calls. I have seen more offensive offsides and IP calls this year than I can remember. The other two calls that are all over the place are roughing the passer, holding, and PI calls. The game has changed. Yesterday there was an egregious no call PI on WR Higgins in the Bengals game. These are becoming more common and capricious in nature.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I think its just Paytons overall frustration with his 50 million a year qb exploding last night...its probably been building for a while. From what i read it was because Russ didn't allow enough time between plays for Payton to consider a challenge. Obviously a communication issue or bad mistake by his qb. There didnt even seem to be any questioning of the call by the Broncos other than just lining up and trying again. Wouldn't of matterred anyway as the game was out of reach and they were being thoroughly outplayed on both sides of the ball. Was surprised Stidham wasn't in after halftime but I guess that would of been too controversial. Russ will be wearing a different jersey next year. They'll take the cap hit and roll with Stidham or a Geno like QB the next two years and not be any worse off. It's okay though...Russ will find a job somewhere in what is a qb starved league right now. He will get 2 years and then its off to the booth or something...Hopefully to a channel of a gameday pre-show that I don't watch. I wish him good luck in his future endeavors and godspeed...

Speaking of Future...apparently Detroit played 25 minutes straight of Future's music in pregame while Russ was out there. As soon as he left they changed it to something else. Mind games may have worked...

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I also think the Broncos still get into the post season unless AP can get the Raiders up for a spoiler game. 10-7 should be enough.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
To me I didn’t understand why Payton was po’d. It looked as if it was on him and he wanted to blame Wilson.

The prima Donna coach needs to be less of an a-hole

Cyrus12

Reaction score
To me I didn’t understand why Payton was po’d. It looked as if it was on him and he wanted to blame Wilson.

The prima Donna coach needs to be less of an a-hole
Never saw Pete yell at Russ like that before...with Wilson's fragile ego it could have an impact in the remaining games.

rcaido

Reaction score
Sometimes parents take their frustrations on their kids.

Wilson played poorly in the first half. Then timeout Wilson had to use which was BS of the refs allowing the other team to sub w less then 10 secs when they had12 players. Then the refs didn't give the TD signal twice Why not let the booth review it to make sure if it's close. Payton frustrated he needed to save the timeouts. Then a tick tack offsides. It's always frustrating as fans when the team is trying to rally but calls don't go your way. Sean probably took his frustrations to Wilson.

Detroit just put a whooping on the Donkies. Defense couldn't put pressure on Goof. Couldn't tackle either.

I still don't get why they kicked a FG in that situation.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Defence really let up last night, and let that game get away.

And it looks like Broncos have their own version of Jamal Adams with #47 Jewell, judging from the Lions game.
Some half baked attempts at tackling for sure.

rjdriver

Reaction score
So Payton's beef since the get go was getting the plays in earlier to allow the offense to run less hurried to avoid penalties and preclude D lines from getting a timed jump off the line. Even to the point of demanding Russ were a wristband.

Russ complied, the Broncos started having success. and yesterday Payton goes ballistic because Russ didn't take long enough. SP is an underachieving narcissist.

hoxrox

Reaction score
We'll probably never know the real reason why

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
So Payton's beef since the get go was getting the plays in earlier to allow the offense to run less hurried to avoid penalties and preclude D lines from getting a timed jump off the line. Even to the point of demanding Russ were a wristband.

Russ complied, the Broncos started having success. and yesterday Payton goes ballistic because Russ didn't take long enough. SP is an underachieving narcissist.
Like I said earlier, I don't think the issue was that he rushed the play as the recorded play-by-play shows 44 seconds between the start of each of the disputed goal line plays. That's plenty of time for a coach to get a challenge flag thrown, especially on a goal line look as they have just the one camera angle to look at.

Agreed about Payton. If you watch him in his post game presser, he was acting like a real jerk.

knownone

Reaction score
Both goalline plays were close and should have been reviewed. But the guard was clearly lined up in the neutral zone. Trent Green mistaking the guard for the center on the broadcast didn't help things.

cymatica

Reaction score
I would like to hear the excuse by any ref not to automatically call a TD when it's that close, since all scores are reviewed. That should be officiating 101