Is Josh Gordon Too Toxic?

chet380

Reaction score
Looks like Cleveland is going to dump him, so ...

Pros -- 6 ft 3, 225; 2013 - 87 for 1646 and 9 TD's; 23yrs oid.

Cons -- drug history (one bad test and he's gone); bad judgment; off-field behavior ...

Hawks46

Reaction score
We just went through this with Harvin.

While not toxic to a locker room like Harvin, Gordon is on his way out of the league. He's one of those guys that just can't stop screwing up. It's a waste of a roster spot, IMO. It also stunts the growth of guys like Richardson and Norwood, 2 guys that are starting to gain some momentum and whom we control for a few more years on cheap rookie deals.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If he could be had for the pick we got for Percy.. then hell yeah I'd take a flyer on him.

Anything higher than that 4-6 range though and I'm uneasy given his behavior since being in the league

liftingaddict

Reaction score
Keep him far away from the Hawks. I live out here in Browns country and the guy is constantly in hot water with severe judgement and maturity issues. Percy 2.0

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Another million dollar talent, ten cent head situation. As others have said this would be Harvin 2.0. Pass.

sc85sis

Reaction score
If this were four years ago and we were still doing the crazy roster shuffling I might take the risk. Now? No way.

telerion

Reaction score
Another Cleveland-based Seahawks fan here. Don't touch Gordon. Undeniable talent, but all sorts of off-the-field issues.

liftingaddict

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3ao0pamu said:
Yes...poor practice habits are the worst

DUI's and substance abuse violations are practice habits? Hmmm good to know.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
liftingaddict":1dq40oq5 said:
-The Glove-":1dq40oq5 said:

Ok maybe not the worst...but when you're talking about an athlete that's lazy and has motivation issues, no thanks

Nog

Reaction score
We don't take a shot to bring that kinda talent into our facilities, then we will never fix our offensives issues.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Agreed that three or four years ago, this would be a no-brainer "yes" call. Now, not so much. We also took a risk with Marshawn Lynch, and it was one of the best gambles we made. The issue that made Percy Harvin's deal so bad was the money. If we'd have picked him up on a one-year "prove it" deal, far fewer Twelves would have issues with the way we handled him.

If we could get Gordon to come in on a low-risk "prove it" type of deal with incentives for good behavior and production, and one that minimizes risk to the Seahawks organization, he may be worth a look. Otherwise, no thanks.

Hawks46

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2dg4xb2q said:
liftingaddict":2dg4xb2q said:
-The Glove-":2dg4xb2q said:

Ok maybe not the worst...but when you're talking about an athlete that's lazy and has motivation issues, no thanks

I can see what you're saying. He's lazy and tries to survive on talent.

Definately flies in the face of Pete's mantra "Always compete"

Brahn

Reaction score
Nog":1e93yb4h said:
We don't take a shot to bring that kinda talent into our facilities, then we will never fix our offensives issues.

^This for the right price he would be worth a look. I am sure people were beating down the door when we got "Troubled" Marshawn from the Bills.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":h5tax7jn said:
Agreed that three or four years ago, this would be a no-brainer "yes" call. Now, not so much. We also took a risk with Marshawn Lynch, and it was one of the best gambles we made. The issue that made Percy Harvin's deal so bad was the money. If we'd have picked him up on a one-year "prove it" deal, far fewer Twelves would have issues with the way we handled him.

If we could get Gordon to come in on a low-risk "prove it" type of deal with incentives for good behavior and production, and one that minimizes risk to the Seahawks organization, he may be worth a look. Otherwise, no thanks.

A WR would have to be an idiot to go to a team like the Hawks (or 9ers) on a one year prove it deal. That said, Gordon certainly seems like an idiot, so maybe. ;)

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Popeyejones":8l1apf3r said:
Seahawk Sailor":8l1apf3r said:

A WR would have to be an idiot to go to a team like the Hawks (or 9ers) on a one year prove it deal. That said, Gordon certainly seems like an idiot, so maybe. ;)

Ha! Well yes and no. I'd think a lot of players in such a situation would jump at the chance for a prove-it deal on what looks like another sure-fire Super Bowl contender. Players have done it in the past, and now there's a whole lot more success to show for it. Sure, that kind of a deal isn't Ray Bourque going to the Avalanche for that one last shot at a Stanley Cup, but in the end it's all about the same. Does he want to shape up and buy in for a great chance at winning the Super Bowl, or does he want to fart around and blow his chances on weed and poor choices?

But like you said, he seems like an idiot, so maybe not.

sutz

Reaction score
sc85sis":2t5zrq3b said:
If this were four years ago and we were still doing the crazy roster shuffling I might take the risk. Now? No way.
This, squared. I prefer we give our young guys further chances to prove themselves, instead of risking team chemistry on a guy who would likely not give 100% and might be another locker room cancer.

:laugh: That's the kind of thinking that got Harvin in here and nearly derailed our team this year.

I wouldn't touch this guy, at least until next training camp, and then it'd be that 'prove it' deal with a very short leash. Even then, I don't think I'd like taking the chance. We'd be better served with draft picks.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
After attending GM Ray Farmer's year-ending press conference Tuesday, ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi sensed a "definite feeling" that Josh Gordon won't be back with the Browns in 2015.

The Chronicle-Telegram's Scott Petrak gets the same feeling. Grossi went as far to say it may take "only five minutes" into staff meetings next week for the team to decide on Gordon. You'd have to think the Browns will try and trade Gordon before outright waiving him, but a split seems likelier by the day.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8282/josh-gordon

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chet380":3kx1zwpe said:
Looks like Cleveland is going to dump him, so .....

Why do you say this?

Gordon still has a year left on his rookie deal at 1.6M........and even in 2016 he'd be a RFA.

He's too talented to just cut to save 500k, the Browns will keep him and hope he gets his shit straight.......or try to trade him in the off season.

Latest posts