Spiller a buy low FA for kick returns?

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Given injury history, I'm kind of wondering if Seattle might take a look at adding CJ exclusively for kick and punt returns if he can be had at a low cost 2 year deal.

Potentially, this could either be a miss or a home run out of the park piece to shoring up returns.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I've always been a huge Spiller fan and if you could get him really cheap I would be ok with it. If Lynch stays the backfield is pretty crowded though so not sure they would do it.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Don't think he'll be cheap, but definitely not super expensive either.

I remember during the draft, so many people had him pegged at #14. I think every TD he had in college was like 50+ yards out, or he had like 20+ 50 yard TD runs/receptions. Don't remember exactly what it was, but it was pretty insane.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2fr6rkly said:
Don't think he'll be cheap, but definitely not super expensive either.

I remember during the draft, so many people had him pegged at #14. I think every TD he had in college was like 50+ yards out, or he had like 20+ 50 yard TD runs/receptions. Don't remember exactly what it was, but it was pretty insane.

He might be cheaper than you think. Ben Tate got what, $6 mil for 2 years? And Spiller is pretty much a dedicated Special teamer and 3rd down RB with bad injury history. I can't see him getting any more than $2 million per year, but who knows

OP
OP

12th_Bob

Reaction score
It's worth it to inquire, as his stock is about as low as it could be right now and having that explosion potential back there would be nice.

jblaze

Reaction score
Will not be cheap. No RB spot for him also. If Lynch were to retire or whatever, we likely go RB in the first with Gurley or Gordon as we rely heavily on a RB workhorse.

We'll likely fill our KR/PR role in the draft. I could see a 6th or 7th just on a returner. Once we traded Harvin, we had zero return game and it hurt us badly.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
To free up an RB spot just ask Turbin to play a hybrid FB position. Plays to his strengths anyway. He'd be M-Rob esque.

Mick063

Reaction score
On the right team, Spiller would be an instant star. Imagine with the the Packers or taking Vereen's spot on the Patriots.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I don't know why we'd want to pay a big contract to a player we'd be using only sporadically, especially when that player has an injury history. I rather think the team will look to draft for a PR/KR player like Marcus Murphy from Missouri, or a burner WR like Coates, Crowder, Dorsett, or Devin Smith.

OP
OP

12th_Bob

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1x8kwv48 said:
I don't know why we'd want to pay a big contract to a player we'd be using only sporadically, especially when that player has an injury history. I rather think the team will look to draft for a PR/KR player like Marcus Murphy from Missouri, or a burner WR like Coates, Crowder, Dorsett, or Devin Smith.

All options and that's probably the way we'll go but Spiller has shown something at the NFL level and those guys haven't yet, if it were cheap then why not? The upside of having him is immense though risky.

firebee

Reaction score
Ty Montgomery out of Stanford at #31... Everybody will scream that he's a reach, but he's a tallish receiver that can take the top off a defense as a deep threat, he has great vision to take it to the house after the catch on short passes and he's the best return man coming out in this draft. IMO... He's a perfect fit for us on many levels. Would be an instant contributor as a return man and could develop into a super explosive receiver for us. I'd be really surprised if we passed him up.

ivotuk

Reaction score
His injury history goes all the way back to Clemson. He would benefit from having Pete Carroll as his coach though. Pete would pay him sparingly and teach him how to take care of himself. Spillers Previous coaches weren't too bad, but I think Carroll, Paul Allen and John have a great system for keeping players healthy.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
firebee":3jhwh0er said:
Ty Montgomery out of Stanford at #31... Everybody will scream that he's a reach, but he's a tallish receiver that can take the top off a defense as a deep threat, he has great vision to take it to the house after the catch on short passes and he's the best return man coming out in this draft. IMO... He's a perfect fit for us on many levels. Would be an instant contributor as a return man and could develop into a super explosive receiver for us. I'd be really surprised if we passed him up.
Montgomery in the 1st is just crazy talk

marko358

Reaction score
ivotuk":lxepg0eq said:
I think Carroll, Paul Allen and John have a great system for keeping players healthy.

This is the one year we shouldn't be making this comment. :(

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
jblaze":fjhycxlz said:
Will not be cheap. No RB spot for him also. If Lynch were to retire or whatever, we likely go RB in the first with Gurley or Gordon as we rely heavily on a RB workhorse.

We'll likely fill our KR/PR role in the draft. I could see a 6th or 7th just on a returner. Once we traded Harvin, we had zero return game and it hurt us badly.
Harvin had a bunch of terrible returns for us. Things seemed to actually get better with Walters, which further shows how crappy harvin is at the NFL level.

lukerguy

Reaction score
It would certainly be soaked in irony given that the Bills gave us Lynch in order to draft oft-injured Spiller.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2w9djnbq said:
jblaze":2w9djnbq said:

Harvin had a bunch of terrible returns for us. Things seemed to actually get better with Walters, which further shows how crappy harvin is at the NFL level.
That will change if Coleman comes back and stays healthy. Blocking on ST was a problem all season.

firebee

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":mrizr05h said:
firebee":mrizr05h said:
Montgomery in the 1st is just crazy talk

Yes... crazy like a fox