Bring back Red

hawkpride

Reaction score
Red Bryant, Defensive End

This massive 31-year-old defensive end is among the best at his position against the run. Bryant finished the 2014 campaign as the third-best run-stuffing player at his position in the NFL (via Pro Football Focus, subscription required). That came after years of tremendous success in a similar role with the Seattle Seahawks. Look for Bryant to catch on at some point after the draft when the compensatory formula is no longer relevant. In fact, Seattle might very well be a solid fit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't think there's a person on here that wouldn't love Red back.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
That bus has left the station. Red is a outsized DE and not a good fit at DT which is where he should play. I think unfortunately the team has moved on and although we all love the guy he's unlikely to be back in Seattle playing for the Hawks. besides He's probably able to be replaced at a much cheaper cap number.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Bryant was released, so he doesn't factor into the comp process at all.

I think right now the best landing spots for him would be the Falcon and Raiders for the most obvious reasons.

When Oakland released Antonio Smith, I thought they were making room for Bryant.

I think Broncos, Steelers, and Ravens would be a good fit. Broncos D runs a heavy strongside DE. Ravens are looking for a replacement for Ngata. And I don't necessarily know if the Steelers have a need but they might have depth concerns, I think they may have moved on from Kiessel.

I honestly would love for Bryant to come back to the Seahawks but it would have to be on a 1 year, 1.5m or less type contract.

He would be my 5T in short-yardage/goal-to-go situations. He would still be a tremendous asset in FG defense.

And if a Bennett or Avril were to be injured, I would play Bryant at Strongside DE while going to a more natural 3-4 scheme with the LBers and using a variety of blitzes to bring pressure.

I would also use Bryant at 3T/NT from time to time, he might not show consistent ability at those positions but he can be a wildcard when used in the right situations.

He might not have starter value for the Seahawks but I think he would be a nice add to the depth in certain matchup curcumstances and he brings with him an abundance of morale and leadership.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The fact that is is currently not signed anywhere speaks volumes.

NFL = Not For Long

Bye Red. :thirishdrinkers:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2bar7e1v said:
If he could play inside effectively, then maybe. But we have seen that isn't the case, and I don't want to take Bennett/Avril off the field for Red.

We do need a more fluid rotation though. Things went south pretty quick when Avril left the Super Bowl.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I could see him playing the 5-tech in New England. He'd be a great fit, he's superb at keeping bodies away from the line backers behind him.

Largent80

Reaction score
Red was a nice compliment to Clemons 2 years ago. We don't have a spot for him anymore.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1fi3t550 said:
The fact that is is currently not signed anywhere speaks volumes.

NFL = Not For Long

Bye Red. :thirishdrinkers:

Not necessarily, there are a lot of good players still on the market, but most teams aren't going to commit to them til after the draft when teams figure out how much cap space they have left. That's how free agency works, the top 2-3 tiers of players get snatched up, then the rest as spring and summer goes along. Doesn't mean they can't contribute.

We didn't sign Kevin Williams until June 12th, did that speak volumes to his talent or ability to contribute? Dude was arguably the best player on the entire D-line last year.