Question to NonSeahawk Fans about schedules

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
What do you think about your schedules? I am curious and was thinking about posting their schedules here. But I only know of about 5 or 6 other teams fan bases that wander in and dont want to rule anyone else out. If you want to, post it here and then discuss. Go Hawks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I think outside of the opener, the Niners schedule is brutal...especially having to play the Ravens then the Seattle 4 days later. Waiting till week 10 on the bye is painful too. Also third hardest strength of schedule.

Then again, I think every team sees stretches in their schedule that are rough.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Based on their performance last year and the fact that STL is a small TV market, I am not suprised that the Rams have only one prime time game -the TNF home game v Bucs. Bus@Rams: that's exciting and is the last home game of the season.

But, it is a fact of the current state of the Rams, both in wins and location. (Skins have 3 primetime games and they were worse than the Rams last year).

I am ver;y happy to see Rams play the Hawks game one - I was hoping for a home divisional game to start the season. Our new Offense will get a fast and furious trial right out of the gate at home.

There is no eight game stretch of terror this year, so that is also good, though 4 of the 5 before our 6 week bye are difficult games, and only two (Hawks & Steelers) are at home. Is nice though that the @Packers game is early in the season.

There is no 3-in-a-row road game stretch like last year, so that is good.

Finally Rams don't end @Hawks - instead they get the double divisonal end of @Hawks and then @SF. Not sure how much better that is, but it is a change. So that is good.

I'm happy to be ending with a game in Cali in case it seems they will move (totally unkown at this point) - but that will work out nice if it comes to pass.

Overall, I think it is a good schedule and Rams are actually not one of the 4 teams with the hardest schedule for the first time in awhile as well.

ETA: Even though I think it's too early to predict game outcomes (except for game one :lol: ) - the espn Rams writer seems pretty negative about the schedule and the Rams.
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/17811/game-by-game-predictions-st-louis-rams

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I don't think the 9ers schedule does them many favors (what Marvin mentioned, 5 10AM starts), but any fan of any team can look at their teams' schedule and find things they don't like.

Basically, unless someone is willing to invest the time to investigate EVERY team's schedule for unfairness (and not just their own teams' -- NOBODY ever does this ;) ), I find complaining about scheduling purely as it relates to your favorite team --like complaining about calls purely as they relate to your favorite team --to be pretty corny. It's just homer stuff.

So, like any schedule, the 9ers schedule has features and stretches that will be challenging to the team, and features and stretches that will be easier.

It's not really something I'm worried about.

TBF I think part of it too for most 9ers fans is that given all the turnover this off-season we have no idea how good or bad the team will be, so focusing on scheduling is kind of a tertiary concern to begin with.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":15xr9x3q said:
I don't think the 9ers schedule does them many favors (what Marvin mentioned, 5 10AM starts), but any fan of any team can look at their teams' schedule and find things they don't like.

Basically, unless someone is willing to invest the time to investigate EVERY team's schedule for unfairness (and not just their own teams' -- NOBODY ever does this ;) ), I find complaining about scheduling purely as it relates to your favorite team --like complaining about calls purely as they relate to your favorite team --to be pretty corny. It's just homer stuff.

So, like any schedule, the 9ers schedule has features and stretches that will be challenging to the team, and features and stretches that will be easier.

It's not really something I'm worried about.

TBF I think part of it too for most 9ers fans is that given all the turnover this off-season we have no idea how good or bad the team will be, so focusing on scheduling is kind of a tertiary concern to begin with.
My experience is that the things to worry about in April, like schedule, rarely transpire as feared. A few are legit, it will be cold in Minny in December, facing new coaches/newQBs on old rivals in week 1 is always a mystery, back to back long travel weeks wear out teams quickly. But last year there was handwringing over playing in SF on a short week, and in the end the story was a patchwork Niner O-line, not the short week.

I do think for some teams it is legit. If you face a half dozen teams coming off long weeks, you are likely to fare badly. Stuff like that. But for the most part it is just an attempt to read tea leaves.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I think this is the easiest schedule the Rams have had in a few years, so that's good.

I see the AFC North as easier than the AFC West, as I think the North benefited from playing the NFC South last year.

I actually don't like starting with Seattle, because normally you can count on a split with the Hawks - unfortunately we start slow and I'm not getting my hopes up this year....so I'll assume that's a loss and a sweep for Seattle this year.

I think it's absolutely hilarious that the NFL doesn't make teams outside the NFC West travel to both Seattle and San Francisco in the same season, but is forcing us to do this back to back to end the season. It wouldn't be quite as bad for Arizona since they're closer, but I doubt even they have had to do that in recent years.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2v5ft1ms said:
mikeak":2v5ft1ms said:

The one slant they put as a minor thing in this article is the ratings. TV time is more important than equality in the league. That is what generates the funds for the multi millionaires. Did like the article tho...thanks.

Agree - the NFL basically said that in their statement that you won't get a perfect schedule for sports equality as money is to important.

With that said if you use a tool that develops the perfect schedule from making it as equal as possible then you can use the same tools to review how unfair your other schedule is. It will allow you to make tweaks where the bottom line is not impacted or not impacted enough for you not to make the changes. I do think that long term the NFL will use some kind of formula more like was brought up in the article

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
The NFL is about Parity....and that would bring parity automatically. I agree with you.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":5rv6esky said:
I think this is the easiest schedule the Rams have had in a few years, so that's good.

I see the AFC North as easier than the AFC West, as I think the North benefited from playing the NFC South last year.

I actually don't like starting with Seattle, because normally you can count on a split with the Hawks - unfortunately we start slow and I'm not getting my hopes up this year....so I'll assume that's a loss and a sweep for Seattle this year.

I think it's absolutely hilarious that the NFL doesn't make teams outside the NFC West travel to both Seattle and San Francisco in the same season, but is forcing us to do this back to back to end the season. It wouldn't be quite as bad for Arizona since they're closer, but I doubt even they have had to do that in recent years.

Well home and away is a preset formula for teams outside the division, so its not a matter of making them or not making them travel.

ptisme

Reaction score
As a Packers fan the schedule is a bit of good news and a bit of bad news.
The good news: Most of our games against the toughest opponents are at home: Seattle (finally), KC, St Louis (yes, they'll be good with that defense), and Dallas. We have Arizona but the whether should be nice there in late December.
More good news: SFO, while away, will be a joke compared to other years...
The Bad News: We have very few cold weather games at Lambeau this year (which is good news for teams that play us:)
Overall a fine schedule with an opportune bye...

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":1fp247y3 said:
Ramfan128":1fp247y3 said:

Well home and away is a preset formula for teams outside the division, so its not a matter of making them or not making them travel.

The NFL does not make any team travel to both SF and SEA in the same year, except for the Cardinals and Rams.

This changed a few years ago because east coast teams complained of too much travel.

We are further away from SF and SEA than the Cardinals are.

I know we will have to travel to SF and SEA every year, I was merely commenting on it because it's apparently enough of a burden for 28 teams once every three or four years, that they don't have to do it at all. But for the Rams we have to do it in consecutive weeks. Funny.

mikeak

Reaction score
^
LA to SF or Seattle isn't very far though so this problem will go away.. :stirthepot:

RedAlice

Reaction score
Marvin49":3lxcyu1e said:
Ramfan128":3lxcyu1e said:

Well home and away is a preset formula[/b] for teams outside the division, so its not a matter of making them or not making them travel.

There is an easy way to fix this for the Rams. :D

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I like what I have heard here, thanks for the comments so far. Hope to hear more after the draft and if others want to chime in.
I have a SF friend/fan that has been thinking the dumpster fire theory and I have been consoling him that there is more time to go steelhead fishing then without the worries of a team not doing so hot. I think he is convinced that fishing is a great pasttime. LOL :mrgreen:
CArry on..... :thirishdrinkers:

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin49":cmjzlhzt said:
I think outside of the opener, the Niners schedule is brutal...especially having to play the Ravens then the Seattle 4 days later. Waiting till week 10 on the bye is painful too. Also third hardest strength of schedule.

Then again, I think every team sees stretches in their schedule that are rough.

You don't like the week 10 bye Marvin? Most fans would think that is ideal.

RedAlice

Reaction score
A Pats fan just asked me my opinion on the Rams schedule. I said a shorter version of what I said here.

He goes - We Pats fans are so cocky with our (edited) horrible division, we think it's tough we have to open v the Steelers. Oh, and the Bills might be really good. I will believe it when I see it. Then a few shack worthy Rex comments.

So other than the opener, seems Pats fans are happy.

I suggested the other team w a cake schedule might be sneaking up on them. He goes, Colts? Maybe.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Panthers fan here. Since the Panthers usually start slow, starting @jax, Hou, NO, and @TB sounds appetizing. Being 4-0 with a bye week before CLink is possible. After that consecutive home games with Phi and Ind in primetime and then GB provide a tough stretch but at home I like the chances to win 2 of those 3 at least. Finishing @home against TB for the first home finale since 09 provides extra rest before the playoffs. The AFC South and NFC East are on the docket with a cherry on top of the Cowboys/Thanksgiving (although Hardy's first game back). Honestly, less than 11-5 and division champs would be disappointing, but a long way to go before then and that prediction may change for better or worse.