Holmy wanted to go to the NINerS?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
" I told my agent, ‘You know, the one I’d really kind of like to do is San Francisco,’ and so they reached out to the 49ers and essentially, I got a call back saying, ‘Nah, we’re going with a younger guy.'”

Jed and his underlings are brazen idiots. He is currently facing an age discrimination lawsuit after saying “Let’s go with the younger one” when presented with two equally qualified job applicants.

Jed says he wants to create a "start up" atmosphere in Santa Clara, saying younger tech workers “made a lot of money, they did a lot of cool things before they were 40 years old, and they don’t want to go play golf six days a week," and proceeded to push out a lot of their older employees, some of whom are now suing him.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/J ... 995737.php

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3t8dwr8x said:
" I told my agent, ‘You know, the one I’d really kind of like to do is San Francisco,’ and so they reached out to the 49ers and essentially, I got a call back saying, ‘Nah, we’re going with a younger guy.'”

Jed and his underlings are brazen idiots. He is currently facing an age discrimination lawsuit after saying “Let’s go with the younger one” when presented with two equally qualified job applicants.

Jed says he wants to create a "start up" atmosphere in Santa Clara, saying younger tech workers “made a lot of money, they did a lot of cool things before they were 40 years old, and they don’t want to go play golf six days a week," and proceeded to push out a lot of their older employees, some of whom are now suing him.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/J ... 995737.php
That franchise is a dumpster fire. ....but I'm enjoying the show! 8)

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Maulbert":3j52iqfk said:
Live look in at 49ers headquarters.

Giphy

I did that by accident once.....I put some what I thought were used up ashes in the dumpster next to my place in town....and someone had placed some old paint in there......Paint ignited thru a few embers that had not died out and I got a call from a friend...."dude, may wanna check out that dumpster near you house...it is on fire." Oh....Shuckydarns....The fire dept came over and put it out...they were only 5 blocks away too.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The last time the Holmgren rumors came up here (during the 9ers coaching search) IIRC the prevailing wisdom here was that the team was idiots for considering him, and that only the 9ers would be dumb enough to make a guy who the game has passed by like Holmgren their new head coach.

Kinda funny the way these things work. ;)

Edit, from back in January:

Sports Hernia":1od3sihb said:
I think the game has passed him by

volsunghawk":1od3sihb said:
I'd dance a jig. Seriously.

Holmgren's teams were always finesse teams and couldn't take a punch in the mouth. The team we've got in Seattle right now is kryptonite to the type of teams Holmgren built.

Oh, and if he comes and gets any kind of personnel control, be prepared to kiss your D goodbye.

theENGLISHseahawk":1od3sihb said:
I'd be delighted.

The game's moved on.

endzorn":1od3sihb said:
Please. Hire. Holmgren.

Sgt. Largent":1od3sihb said:
As much as I love Holmgren for making the Hawks an actual relevant and competitive NFL franchise, IMO the game's passed him by and I think he'd fail in SF.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2cpqb4a3 said:
The last time the Holmgren rumors came up here (during the 9ers coaching search) IIRC the prevailing wisdom here was that the team was idiots for considering him, and that only the 9ers would be dumb enough to make a guy who the game has passed by like Holmgren their new head coach.

Sports Hernia":2cpqb4a3 said:

volsunghawk":2cpqb4a3 said:

Holmgren's teams were always finesse teams and couldn't take a punch in the mouth. The team we've got in Seattle right now is kryptonite to the type of teams Holmgren built.

Oh, and if he comes and gets any kind of personnel control, be prepared to kiss your D goodbye.

theENGLISHseahawk":2cpqb4a3 said:
I'd be delighted.

The game's moved on.

endzorn":2cpqb4a3 said:
Please. Hire. Holmgren.

Sgt. Largent":2cpqb4a3 said:
As much as I love Holmgren for making the Hawks an actual relevant and competitive NFL franchise, IMO the game's passed him by and I think he'd fail in SF.

There was good reason for not hiring Holmgren, but allegedly telling him that they are going with a younger candidate is just idiotic on the part of the 49ers.

I also believe most Seahawk fans would agree that Holmgren is a better coach than Tomsula.

ringless

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3f82v0si said:
Popeyejones":3f82v0si said:

Sports Hernia":3f82v0si said:

volsunghawk":3f82v0si said:

theENGLISHseahawk":3f82v0si said:
I'd be delighted.

The game's moved on.

endzorn":3f82v0si said:
Please. Hire. Holmgren.

Sgt. Largent":3f82v0si said:

There was good reason for not hiring Holmgren, but allegedly telling him that they are going with a younger candidate is just idiotic on the part of the 49ers.

I also believe most Seahawk fans would agree that Holmgren is a better coach than Tomsula.

Sure Seahawks fans might.... But would niners?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ringless":1txgj5rr said:
hawknation2015":1txgj5rr said:
Popeyejones":1txgj5rr said:

Sports Hernia":1txgj5rr said:

volsunghawk":1txgj5rr said:

theENGLISHseahawk":1txgj5rr said:
I'd be delighted.

The game's moved on.

endzorn":1txgj5rr said:
Please. Hire. Holmgren.

Sgt. Largent":1txgj5rr said:

Sure Seahawks fans might.... But would niners?

They would if they had hired Holmgren. ;)

I think most non-Whiner fans in the NFL would agree that Holmgren is the better coach.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":zzx4eenh said:

Sports Hernia":zzx4eenh said:

volsunghawk":zzx4eenh said:

theENGLISHseahawk":zzx4eenh said:
I'd be delighted.

The game's moved on.

endzorn":zzx4eenh said:
Please. Hire. Holmgren.

Sgt. Largent":zzx4eenh said:
I love the guy, he took my team to its first Super Bowl. He is on the radio a lot up here and is great on the radio, but, I do think the game has passed him by coaching wise..... BUT.......... he IMHO would be a better option than Jim Tom, of course you will disagree with that, or at least will throw out a typical 49'er fan boy "we don't know yet" argument.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2xuxhj00 said:
Popeyejones":2xuxhj00 said:

Sports Hernia":2xuxhj00 said:

volsunghawk":2xuxhj00 said:

theENGLISHseahawk":2xuxhj00 said:
I'd be delighted.

The game's moved on.

endzorn":2xuxhj00 said:
Please. Hire. Holmgren.

Sgt. Largent":2xuxhj00 said:
I do think the game has passed him by, BUT.......... he would be a better option than Jim Tom, of course you probably will disagree with that, or at least will throw out a typical 49'er fan boy "we don't know yet" comment.

49ers fans are like the peseants who wanted to burn the man who blew on his hands to warm them then blew on his soup to cool it down for performing sorcery. It can be both ways. Holmgren would not be as good a coach as he was, but I think Tomsula will be worse. Tomsula was the least inspiring hire they could make.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Age was immaterial. Baalke and Jed were not going with another ego. Not that big anyway.

I always thought Holmgren's best chance with the Niners was when Singletary was on the ropes, but them Holmgren went and signed up with the Browns, which always felt wrong.

Rex

Reaction score
Holmy wanted too much control. 49ers said no. Browns said yes.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rex":1t49my3e said:
Holmy wanted too much control. 49ers said no. Browns said yes.
Probably a lot of truth is this^.
I think after Harbafreak they wanted a "yes man" and Holmy ain't that.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2015":155ba5vq said:

Two things on this:

1. Holmgren himself disagrees with you:

Regardless, Holmgren saw no problem with what happened. In fact, he seems to appreciate the candor.

“I probably needed to hear that because you get your ego stroked and you’re flattered when people call you and you kind of get into a place where I’m not sure you’re making great decisions, but when I heard that I said, ‘Okay, I needed to hear that and now I’m going onto other things.’”

2. From Holmgren's comments it sounds like they never actually said this to him, but basically subtly conveyed the message without coming out and saying it:

then I told my agent, ‘You know, the one I’d really kind of like to do is San Francisco,’ and so they reached out to the 49ers and essentially, I got a call back saying, ‘Nah, we’re going with a younger guy."

There's a tightrope between respecting a guy like Holmgren who you have history with (calling him directly rather than going through his agent, and being straight up with him) and not breaking employment law while doing so. That's what I took his "essentially" to mean (i.e. they never came out and actually said that directly, but it was the takeaway).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":19bf62e5 said:

Sports Hernia":19bf62e5 said:

volsunghawk":19bf62e5 said:

theENGLISHseahawk":19bf62e5 said:
I'd be delighted.

The game's moved on.

endzorn":19bf62e5 said:
Please. Hire. Holmgren.

Sgt. Largent":19bf62e5 said:

I still stand by my statement. Holmgren would be awesome for any franchise in an assistant coach/advisory/asst. GM sort of role..........because he still could offer a team a tremendous amount of franchise and football knowledge.

But as a head coach coming off a horrible stint as GM in Cleveland and not even being in the game for the past two years? The Niners were smart to transition with Tomosulo.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Pete Caroll is 63, Mike Holmgren is 67. To say the game has passed him by is ridiculous.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":2p07cjv9 said:
Pete Caroll is 63, Mike Holmgren is 67. To say the game has passed him by is ridiculous.

It's about innovation and philosophy, not age. Holmgren has always been a stick in the mud about deviating from his plan. Even when he was the best coach in the game. Doesn't mean I don't love and respect the walrus.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Honestly, this rumor started just after Harbaugh was fired (yes I said fired).

I wasn't excited about it to be honest. Its not because I think he wasn't a great coach in his day, but I'm not a fan of retreat coaches. I dunno if its because they don't have the same fire they once did or if it's something else but it says something that no HC has ever WON a SB with 2 different teams.

It seems they always come I with huge fanfare and a huge contract and never produce at nearly the level they did with their previous team.

Sometimes a guy doesn't have success with his previous stop and still has that fire burning (Carroll is a good example), but a guy who has had success and then moves on to another stop? Pass.

I know this will likely bring on a number of Tomsula jokes, but no biggy. I'm good with them passing on Holmgren. I've also heard that Shanahan was in the cards as well. Have to admit that one intrigued me a bit more only because of the offense he ran with RGIII and how that's probably very similar to what they are going to try to do this year.