Calvin Johnson Mulling Retirement

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000618342/article/lions-calvin-johnson-mulling-retirement[/urltargetblank]

"Like many players at this stage of their career, I am currently evaluating options for my future," Johnson said in a statement. "I would expect to have a decision regarding this matter in the not-too-distant future."

[urltargetblank]http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/01/06/calvin-johnson-retire-detroit-lions/78356832/[/urltargetblank]

minormillikin

Reaction score
Maybe he would stick around a few more years if he joined a better team...

Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett, Paul Richardson, Jimmy Graham and Calvin Johnson.

:shock:

Don't ruin my little fantasy with financial reasons why this won't happen...

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":32h8hcfd said:
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Another unfortunate waste of talent in that Michigan shithole. Barry Sanders, one of the top 3 running backs of all time wasted a career there. Now one of the better receivers of all time will have wasted his career there, too. Just sad.

He can go cry in to his $100M or whatever he's earned. Nah, I get it, though. Shame he was sentenced to Detroit.

massari

Reaction score
minormillikin":1cowzmaw said:
Maybe he would stick around a few more years if he joined a better team...

Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett, Paul Richardson, Jimmy Graham and Calvin Johnson.

:shock:

Don't ruin my little fantasy with financial reasons why this won't happen...
My slightly more realistic fantasy is trading a 3rd for Josh Gordon (if reinstated, Browns were rumored to be looking to trade him) and signing him to a contract similar to what the Raiders gave Aldon Smith.

Gordon
Baldwin
Lockett
Richardson
Graham

Marvin49

Reaction score
Man. Detroit Lions, heart of Misery in the NFL. Kid all you want about the Niners predicament, but Detroit just takes it to a whole different level.

That team has had some of the best players ever at skill positions and if Megatron retires they will have lost BOTH Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson to early retirement because they were incapable of getting themselves out of the cellar.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Don't necessarily believe that tweet means retirement. It could just as easily mean, "I'm sick of losing in Detroit, time to force a trade to Seattle."

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":34o80y5g said:
Don't necessarily believe that tweet means retirement. It could just as easily mean, "I'm sick of losing in Detroit, time to force a trade to Seattle."

I'm sure you were at least half-kidding, but to be clear there is more to it than the simple quote. In the article they spoke to one of his friends and former teammates...

"There has been some conversations about it, not asking me how it is," said one former teammate who asked to remain anonymous because of the personal nature of his talks with Johnson. "But I think the guy's beat up. I think he's been through enough. And I think it's just his time. He's made the money, got the records, but whatever. I don't know for sure if he's going to do it. I don't know if he's going to get that itch to keep going. I really don't know."

Of course lots of players (see M. Lynch for example) who contemplate retirement before they decide to continue to play. It's a long hard season year in and year out. Can't blame a guy for considering hanging 'em up before he gets a chance to get away from the game for a month or so.

Osprey

Reaction score
kidhawk":3rnrjad6 said:
JSeahawks":3rnrjad6 said:

I'm sure you were at least half-kidding, but to be clear there is more to it than the simple quote. In the article they spoke to one of his friends and former teammates...

"There has been some conversations about it, not asking me how it is," said one former teammate who asked to remain anonymous because of the personal nature of his talks with Johnson. "But I think the guy's beat up. I think he's been through enough. And I think it's just his time. He's made the money, got the records, but whatever. I don't know for sure if he's going to do it. I don't know if he's going to get that itch to keep going. I really don't know."

Of course lots of players (see M. Lynch for example) who contemplate retirement before they decide to continue to play. It's a long hard season year in and year out. Can't blame a guy for considering hanging 'em up before he gets a chance to get away from the game for a month or so.

Sound like the source might be Nate Burleson?

Latest posts