Calvin Johnson wants his money back

FireHawk79

Reaction score
Wow, all over $1 million dollars. I believe his career earning are in the $100 million range so seems kinda petty in my opinion. But hey I have never had a million dollars or more so who knows.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
FireHawk79":1vqrp6pf said:
Wow, all over $1 million dollars. I believe his career earning are in the $100 million range so seems kinda petty in my opinion. But hey I have never had a million dollars or more so who knows.

Well, to compare it, even if you make $60,000 a year, wouldn't you quibble over $1,000? I certainly would, and a million dollars is still a million dollars.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Actually, if you averaged $50k/yr over a 40-year career that 1% (same proportion as 1 million to 100 million) would be $20,000. I'm pretty sure that if I made $50,000 per year that I would quibble like hell over 20 large!

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Dude up and retired and didn't live up to what he promised to get that signing bonus. I don't have an issue with the Lions wanting it back.

chris98251

Reaction score
He did leave pretty much without notice and had injuries he said was the cause at the time, but regardless of his history he has a contract and the Lions paid their share and he was over paid since he didn't return to the team.

This is really no different the Malik McDowell, just Johnson is well known and Malik never played a down.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I know the article is about Johnson wanting the monies back which he given back to Lions. So those who are siding with the Lions, would you feel the same way if the Seahawks went after Kam Chancellor, Doug Baldwin, and Cliff Avril to get their money back? None of those guys played out their contracts. Not saying the Seahawks should. Calvin Johnson wasn't a Seahawk therefore I believe there is less precedent to be for a player in this instance than it would be to a player on one's favorite team.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
The Seahawk examples were all injury related. Now we don't know the extent of Baldwin's. It might be that he just doesn't feel like coming back from them so that might be a little more comparable, but Kam and Avril were injury decisions. Totally different situations.

Osprey

Reaction score
HawkGA":344t8ha0 said:
The Seahawk examples were all injury related. Now we don't know the extent of Baldwin's. It might be that he just doesn't feel like coming back from them so that might be a little more comparable, but Kam and Avril were injury decisions. Totally different situations.
I work with a guy who attends the same church as Johnson, he told me years ago it really was accumulated injury and fear of permanent disability.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":18w7ymkm said:
FireHawk79":18w7ymkm said:

Well, to compare it, even if you make $60,000 a year, wouldn't you quibble over $1,000? I certainly would, and a million dollars is still a million dollars.

There's no "quibble."

Johnson retired, he wasn't cut or traded leaving a bad taste in his mouth towards the Lions. That was his decision, and that means he had to pay back the pro-rated signing bonus.

To hold the Lions hostage is petty. This isn't some 6th rounder who didn't make very much in the league, he was the highest paid receiver in the league for just about the entire length of his career.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Osprey":1af7k3qw said:
HawkGA":1af7k3qw said:
I work with a guy who attends the same church as Johnson, he told me years ago it really was accumulated injury and fear of permanent disability.

I don't blame any player for walking away because of fear of doing permanent damage. It's a violent game. But don't take the big money and then decide that and then be pissed when the team wants some of that money back. If he was cleared to play but decided the juice wasn't worth squeeze, that's cool. But you gotta return the juice.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Not that a team has to do it the way the Seahawks have done, but it seems like a petty way to treat one of the greatest players in franchise history.

If my understanding is correct, the Seahawks worked it so that Doug and Marshawn got as much of their money as they could even though they stepped away with years left on their contracts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kobebryant":2vlhq6yw said:
Not that a team has to do it the way the Seahawks have done, but it seems like a petty way to treat one of the greatest players in franchise history.

If my understanding is correct, the Seahawks worked it so that Doug and Marshawn got as much of their money as they could even though they stepped away with years left on their contracts.

Don't you think this is something you and your agent work out as part of your retirement/exit strategy?

I highly doubt neither Marshawn or Doug didn't know exactly whether the Hawks planned on asking for any signing bonuses back should they retire prematurely before the end of their contract.

To come back all these years later and say "yeah I'll come back into the Lion's family, but only if you give me my million dollars back?" That's lame man.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11b29yjp said:
Seahawk Sailor":11b29yjp said:
FireHawk79":11b29yjp said:

There's no "quibble."

Johnson retired, he wasn't cut or traded leaving a bad taste in his mouth towards the Lions. That was his decision, and that means he had to pay back the pro-rated signing bonus.

To hold the Lions hostage is petty. This isn't some 6th rounder who didn't make very much in the league, he was the highest paid receiver in the league for just about the entire length of his career.

Spot on. IIRC he signed a 8 year extension and retired before the 4th year of the contract.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37789gx0 said:
kobebryant":37789gx0 said:

Don't you think this is something you and your agent work out as part of your retirement/exit strategy?

I highly doubt neither Marshawn or Doug didn't know exactly whether the Hawks planned on asking for any signing bonuses back should they retire prematurely before the end of their contract.

To come back all these years later and say "yeah I'll come back into the Lion's family, but only if you give me my million dollars back?" That's lame man.

I fully understand your prerogative, and the Lions, and you're both probably right. I just think it illustrates a relatively stark difference between the approach of the two franchises from ownership down and is reflected in the different directions of the two franchises since Allen ownership.

I just can't envision the Allen/PC/JS Hawks getting into it with one of their retired legends over money. Cultivating positive vibes and being a team that players want to play for is so valuable in my opinion.

Latest posts