Could we have afforded Clady?

vonstout

Reaction score
The trade itself didn't cost the Jets much. A fifth for Clady and a seventh wasn't much, but his contract was probably more than we wanted without some restructuring.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
What makes you think he was available to us? We would have had to give more than that to get him and if there were trade talks with us we would have had to top the Jets offer.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Mick063

Reaction score
He was abused by the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

McGruff

Reaction score
I'm telling you, every move made by Seattle to this point indicates that they LOVE Gary Gilliam.

We all better hope they are right.

Jville

Reaction score
vonstout":hcfvhu7s said:
The trade itself didn't cost the Jets much. A fifth for Clady and a seventh wasn't much, but his contract was probably more than we wanted without some restructuring.

This was previously posted in the correct forum here >>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=124710[/urltargetblank]

endzorn

Reaction score
This is the type of reactionary move that will sink a team. Clady has a worse injury history than Fire Marshall Bill. If you don't go into the season will a starting caliber backup then you're asking for disaster. Clady doesn't deserve what he gets paid based on his inability to stay on the field.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
In the what have you done lately news: Gilliam is only replacing Okung, whom due to playing through many injuries was more average than elite.

You look at the guys like Okung, Beechum, and Clady. Oft-injured guys who are currently rehabbing through some stuff right now that is more or less hamstringing thier off-season training regimine.

Ill take Gilliam, hes established enough to take on the starting role at LT, raw enough to have a great deal of untapped potential. Hes more or less a rookie with 2 years of NFL training and education over anyone we'd draft.

However, what I think is most important is hes healthy right now, hes getting better right now, hes able to work out and develop, right now. When off-season workouts and minicamps come around, training camp, preseason comes around, hell be able to go All In and Compete barring a setback, right now.

Those repetitions are important and will help Gilliam establish himself at the position and grow with the rest of the line and Wilson before the season starts.

Availability and Potential sometimes is more valuable than Unavailable Experience with talent.

kearly

Reaction score
I never expected Clady. He's older and even less dependable than Okung. He's also more expensive and would cost draft capital. Clady's cap hit for 2016 is almost twice as large as Okung's. It would make no sense to let Okung walk only to trade for Ryan Clady.

McGruff":26kzjl8j said:
I'm telling you, every move made by Seattle to this point indicates that they LOVE Gary Gilliam.

They made offers to Russell Okung and are currently looking at tackles in the draft.

I think it would be more accurate to say that Seattle views Gilliam as a viable option, but I seriously doubt they see Gilliam as a franchise cornerstone. The evidence I see suggests that they feel the same way about Gilliam that they felt about Patrick Lewis this time last year.

Spriggs, Ifedi and Clark are likely in play for Seattle with their early picks. Even if they wait until the late rounds to draft a tackle, that doesn't mean they "love" Gilliam, it just means the draft fell a certain way and PC/JS are comfortable with the Garry Gilliam alternative if need be.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Jville":5c3q6lgq said:
vonstout":5c3q6lgq said:

This was previously posted in the correct forum here >>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=124710[/urltargetblank]

glozzel-rawr-o.gif

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think Gilliam is politicking for the LT spot more than Seattle is giving him that spot. Vines of him working on LT moves, etc, tell me they have told him to compete for it. Which is good, but far from a guarantee. Athletic college RT with horrible skills to NFL LT is a helluva jump in just 3 years. THe jump to top 15 LT is even bigger. I would not call it realistic to expect that.

Clady was never an option. too many injuries. too much money.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
It would've been a mistake to rely on someone as injured as Clady.

It's unlikely we will ever invest the capital needed for a top O-line, but at least if we bring in a bunch of young guys and basically start from scratch we can have the benefit of them working together long-term (even though i think the value of that is often overstated).

Again, we may never have an elite unit, but we can have a solid unit for cheap with just a couple good draft picks and a little time.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":in573efa said:
I think it would be more accurate to say that Seattle views Gilliam as a viable option, but I seriously doubt they see Gilliam as a franchise cornerstone. The evidence I see suggests that they feel the same way about Gilliam that they felt about Patrick Lewis this time last year.

I'm with this. I think McGruff may have overstated the situation a bit. We all do that.

This offseason seems to be kind of an extension of last year's philosophy: Hedge betting. Everything we've done both last year and this year has been about hedging for the future. Whether it's Sokoli/Glowinski last year or getting Sowell/Webb in UFA.

Seattle is definitely going cheap at the position group. But they're also doing so in a way where they aren't going to repeat 2011. They can't be in a position where they simply have to draft poor prospects because they can't even fill out their roster.

I do believe all along, that the #1 plan is to address quality on the OL in this years' draft. But they're setting themselves up so that if it all goes sideways -- they aren't in dire trouble.

Gilliam has progressed through the development program. Quite nicely. His best football appears immediately ahead of him. I think there is genuine reason to be bullish on his prospects. But I also don't expect we'll leave the OT position unaddressed via the draft. And not only in a late day 3 address kind of way. I'm hoping that distinction goes to Joe Thuney. I'm completely smitten with him after tape review. Seems almost a perfect clone of Glowinski even down to the testing. But should be available 2 rounds later.

Compare:

Glowinski -

Glowinski

Thuney -

Thuney

I actually think that the draft is kind of hinging on McGovern. I think he's the guy we can't leave without. He's a player who can hedge Sokoli's development this year and be the 2017 OC. If Sokoli develops, then he's your 2017 LG.

Hawks46

Reaction score
McGruff":1e0oi06w said:

Well, as much time as Clady has missed, we'd be seeing Gilliam a whole lot anyways. Might as well just skip the formalities and start him or Sowell, whoever wins the job.