First Round Of Cuts

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Rosters need to be trimmed to 75 by September 1st. We are already seeing some cuts today. Some notable names so far:

Terrance Knighton (DT) cut by the Pats
Paul Kruger (OLB/DE) cut by the Browns
Geoff Schwartz (G) cut by the Lions
Austin Davis (QB) cut by the Browns

Do we look at any of these guys? I had no idea Kruger has been struggling so much, wasn't long ago he was a premier pass rusher.

kearly

Reaction score
I would love to see Seattle use the 4th preseason game as an audition for Austin Davis. They're going to need to give the reps to somebody, and Heaps has zero chance of making the roster.

Shocked to see Knighton go. Was he hurt?

Rat

Reaction score
A few more:

Stephen Hill, WR, Panthers
Drew Nowak, C, Chiefs
Chris Givens, WR, Eagles
Reuben Randle, WR, Eagles
Major Wright, S, Bucs

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Rat":395fwqqe said:
Drew Nowak, C, Chiefs
:shock: Say it isn't so?

kearly":395fwqqe said:
I would love to see Seattle use the 4th preseason game as an audition for Austin Davis. They're going to need to give the reps to somebody, and Heaps has zero chance of making the roster.

Shocked to see Knighton go.....
Agree on both accounts.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'd love to see Kruger brought in if we can get him on a cheap "prove it" / "come win a championship" deal

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah what has happened to Knighton. Just a few years ago he was one of the premier DT's in the league. I'd guess someone will give him a chance.

I agree on Austin Davis. I wouldn't mind giving him a chance. Seems like a great back-up. Got a feeling that Dallas may give him a look after the Romo injury. They need a back-up for Dak.

Kruger interests me. Probably too late to bring him in, but could he fill the old "Bruce Irvin" role? He was an OLB who would rush the passer.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Kruger is p*ssed off.

Those guys with a chip on their shoulder tend to do well here.

The problem is, he didn't look good on the Browns recently. Not compared to a few years ago.

But to be fair, he is a guy that can produce well in the right system and I am pretty sure 'playing for the Browns' is pretty much the wrong system for anyone.

So the question is, can he still produce in another environment? Or did he just lose a step and it would be a problem. He looked to have all kind of problems with the run this year, another issue.

But, our pass rush blows. Our DL went from being a strength to looking like a weakness, so a guy that racked up double digit sacks just a few years ago might be worth a flyer.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Kruger would actually fit quite well as a LEO, in my opinion. He fits the team's philosophy, that's for sure. Hard-nosed guy, and I agree with him. Cleveland didn't use him properly. He's 30, but, he's only missed one game in the last few years.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Throwdown":12j9eekl said:
Giants cut Randle?!

Apparently he had an awful training camp for the Eagles. We don't really need to another WR.

DJrmb

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":8hjrdpuj said:
Kruger is p*ssed off.

The problem is, he didn't look good on the Browns recently. Not compared to a few years ago.

But to be fair, he is a guy that can produce well in the right system and I am pretty sure 'playing for the Browns' is pretty much the wrong system for anyone.

So the question is, can he still produce in another environment? Or did he just lose a step and it would be a problem. He looked to have all kind of problems with the run this year, another issue.

But, our pass rush blows. Our DL went from being a strength to looking like a weakness, so a guy that racked up double digit sacks just a few years ago might be worth a flyer.

Last year the Browns changed to Jim O'Neil calling plays on Defense and he had Kruger dropping into coverage as much or more than rushing the passer... That was stupid, he's a pass rusher more along the lines of a 4-3 DE. If he'd take the role (and the pay cut) I think Kruger would be a great 3rd down pass rusher and depth/rotation guy here. He'd have to come in cheap though and take more of a backup role. I don't know if he's ready/willing to do that yet.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
DJrmb":16hzrojz said:
TwistedHusky":16hzrojz said:
Kruger is p*ssed off.

Last year the Browns changed to Jim O'Neil calling plays on Defense and he had Kruger dropping into coverage as much or more than rushing the passer... That was stupid, he's a pass rusher more along the lines of a 4-3 DE. If he'd take the role (and the pay cut) I think Kruger would be a great 3rd down pass rusher and depth/rotation guy here. He'd have to come in cheap though and take more of a backup role. I don't know if he's ready/willing to do that yet.

His only real poor season was last year. He had double digit sacks just two years ago in 2014. I think he could fill the LEO spot, or we could strictly use him as pass rusher.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Knighton has always been one hell of a run stopping DT, he gave us fits in the SuperB Owl. I think it must be an attitude problem as 3 good to decent teams have sent him packing and he's signed for relatively cheap.

I'd take him on a minimum 1 year deal.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Kruger was on the Ravens, so it isn't like he doesn't know what it is like to be a winner.

But after being stuck on the Browns for a few years, I am betting he would near sell his soul to have a shot at being on a team that has a chance to win every week, and is likely to make the playoffs.

As many people have indicated, if there is a challenge in lighting the fire under guys who have already sacrificed to win AND won, maybe someone like Kruger coming in that is burning for a shot to prove his last FO wrong, and a chance to win it all for himsef, would be a good get.

I like Knighton too but I would rather get a solid pass rusher to replace the one we lost than a position we have guys like Reed & Rubin already filling out decently (much as I am not a fan of one note DL players, they can do that even if not as good as Knighton).

Given a choice between someone that could get double digit sacks just 2 years ago, considering the change in defense that gutted the effectiveness of Kruger and the fact he had little help from the rest of the line, I think he clearly has more upside than Knighton who would fill a hole but not address the reality that pass rush is a big big weakness for us right now.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
The Pats finally cut Stork. Is his head to far gone to be effective with all the concussions? Not sure if he is a train wreck, or if he was just being a pain the the arse to get out of NE and choose his next team.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ivotuk":3jq1w3tz said:
Knighton has always been one hell of a run stopping DT, he gave us fits in the SuperB Owl. I think it must be an attitude problem as 3 good to decent teams have sent him packing and he's signed for relatively cheap.

I'd take him on a minimum 1 year deal.

Probably that, and also that for practically every team in the NFL guys like Knighton have gone from being "two down" players to "one down" players (2/3rds of defensive alignments across the NFL last year had 5+ DBs). It's why very talented run stuffing DTs "fall" in the draft every year.

Rat

Reaction score
Bjorn Werner cut by the Jags. He has flamed out with two teams, but I'm always up for giving pass rushers a chance. Maybe he could be more Jerry Hughes than Jamal Reynolds.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Mettenberger was cut by the Chargers. I was never a huge fan of his, but he has a pretty big arm.

Also, not that I think we do, but does anyone think Pete or JS would give Sanchize a chance? Broncos are trying to trade him, but if there are no takers they are most likely going to cut him to shed salary and keep a draft pick. We all know Pete coached Sanchize at USC, does he bring him here?

kearly

Reaction score
I'd be fine with Sanchez on a minimum deal. Go up tempo with him on a talented read option team and he can be serviceable. It would also protect Boykin from being rushed and having his confidence damaged. But you'd have to commit three spots to QB to do it, not sure if Seattle would do that.

I always thought Kruger was over-rated but he'd still be a huge improvement over Cassius Marsh. I doubt he signs cheap though. He's only a year removed from having 11 sacks.