Okung Going to the Pro Bowl -- Where Are The Haters Now?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
IMO, should have been the #1 priority in the offseason, without question.

After the first two games of the season, any doubt and questions about Russell Okung are gone. He’s been an absolute beast at left tackle for Denver, and even that’s an understatement. One could argue he’s been the best free-agent signing in the NFL.

It’s still early in the season and most of the 2016 story is yet to be written, but there’s no need to wait for the story to catch up to what is clear right now. The Broncos offensive line is infinitely better than a season ago. As the season progresses and the unit gets more time together, it will only get better and better.

Largent80

Reaction score
Pro bowl after 2 games?...He's in a completely different system now, but D7 is all over his jock.

2_0_6

Reaction score
If he is playing good and healthy after 12 games, then there will be plenty of crow to eat.

Til' then, meh.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He left on his own,the Hawks offered more...Sure we all wish we had him but thats the game now they come and go

mrt144

Reaction score
Presumably they're picking up the torches and pitchforks to go after Cable who can't seem to get the best out of the players in his stead.

massari

Reaction score
Could've had Okung or Beachum at LT for pretty decent contracts.

Guaranteed money:

Beachum - $1.5M
Okung - $0

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I don't think anyone hated Okung or thought he was a bad player. He just couldn't stay healthy and we ended up having to play guys like Alvin Bailey a few times a season. Plus the odd annoying false start penalty.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
But what we are going to find out, is that having to find a replacement 3 games a season is still worth it if the guy can help you in the playoffs.

If Okung gets injured in Denver and misses 3 games, but Denver has a rock wall in the playoffs do you think it will matter?

Great sometimes is better than never great. All the games with Sowell vs half the games with Okung should be an easy decision for any football player to make. We are finding that out now.

Okung gets hurt. But he plays well when he isn't and the gain is worth way more than the risk.

Denver got a good deal and for some reason we left a gaping hole on our team that is hurting both the run and pass game we have now.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I'm a Russell Okung hater, and if he were still on the Seahawks he'd be playing as crappily as he did when he was here. Hey, it might not be Okung's fault, it's probably Cable's. Okung isn't the only one who has thrived on the OL for a different team. Hello James Carpenter, I'm talking to you fella.

I can't explain why other than to say it looks like a lot of offensive linemen leave the Seahawks and play much better. Good for Okung for doing what he did, but we had no reason to keep him here from what I saw last year.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1rl5y9ww said:
But what we are going to find out, is that having to find a replacement 3 games a season is still worth it if the guy can help you in the playoffs.

If Okung gets injured in Denver and misses 3 games, but Denver has a rock wall in the playoffs do you think it will matter?

Great sometimes is better than never great. All the games with Sowell vs half the games with Okung should be an easy decision for any football player to make. We are finding that out now.

Okung gets hurt. But he plays well when he isn't and the gain is worth way more than the risk.

Denver got a good deal and for some reason we left a gaping hole on our team that is hurting both the run and pass game we have now.

I think the argument would be that if the hawks were going to cut their losses with Okung, why did they not draft a LT rather than pick up a poor back up quality stop gap as starter? If Ifedi is the drafted LT of the future, i'd play him there now. LT is too important of a position to mess about with projects on in my opinion.

hawker84

Reaction score
No craps were given today about Okung or the Broncos O line. He was barely above average when he was here and actually on the field, if he breaks out with Denver good on him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":16zf78k4 said:
If he is playing good and healthy after 12 games, then there will be plenty of crow to eat.

Til' then, meh.

This.

The question was never is Okung a good to great LT, he's a top 10 LT.

The question Pete and John had to answer in the off season was the same question they had with Unger........................ "is Okung and his can't seem to go a season without missing games worth the cap space?"

If Okung stays healthy, then Denver got a hell of a deal. If he does what he did here, hurt himself and miss major time, then no.

Personally I think we should have kept him, especially after the horrible deal Okung negotiated for himself.

Largent80

Reaction score
Okung chose Denver to get out of Seattle's system which he was mediocre and always injured in. Last year was the most consistent in his career here, what a coincidence, a contract year.

He is playing in a different offense, next to different players, so what? He would still be the same if he was in Seattle...mediocre. A first round draft choice that couldn't even sniff Walt's jock from his rehab center.

Smellyman

Reaction score
He was the Hawks best Olineman by far, whether his choice to leave or not who knows.

He is about 100x better than Sowell