Will David Johnson survive?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I in no way wish him ill as I love watching him play, but his workload is bordering on ridiculous. He has 174 touches on the season with the lion's share coming in the past three games, including 41 touches on Sunday night. 33 carries and 8 receptions. With the new look Cards offense I see this trend continuing.

Cards fans: are you worried?

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
Very concerned...we have Ellington as the RB2 (Chris Johnson is on IR), so no reason not to limit his touches a bit.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Probably not because he's on my fantasy team and they're completely cursed

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
That's what, close to 400+ touches a season, not counting the playoffs? Can't recall any player getting that many touches in a season without suffering a huge drop-off the next year. If I were their OC, I sure as hell wouldn't work him that hard.

That said, they're probably going to feed him the rock extra hard next game.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Its been out of necessity.

Teams are taking away the deep passing game/Carson has lost a bit of his touch and other than Fitz, havent got what they expected out of the wideouts.

Riding him like a mule is one of their only options.

themunn

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":30taskid said:
That's what, close to 400+ touches a season, not counting the playoffs? Can't recall any player getting that many touches in a season without suffering a huge drop-off the next year. If I were their OC, I sure as hell wouldn't work him that hard.

LaDanian Tomlinson AVERAGED 332 rushes and 64 receptions over each of his first 8 years in San Diego and missed just 1 game in that time.

In fact, in his sophmore season he had a mind-boggling 372 rushes and 79 catches, only to follow it up with a 313 carry and cool 100 catches the following year. What an absolute beast.

OP
OP
CodeWarrior

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Over the last three games, where the Cards offense has started to find its identity this season, Johnson averaged 32 touches per contest.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
themunn":1cq06w5v said:
Seahawk Sailor":1cq06w5v said:

LaDanian Tomlinson AVERAGED 332 rushes and 64 receptions over each of his first 8 years in San Diego and missed just 1 game in that time.

In fact, in his sophmore season he had a mind-boggling 372 rushes and 79 catches, only to follow it up with a 313 carry and cool 100 catches the following year. What an absolute beast.

LT was the exception, not the rule though.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2geeu9qq said:
That's what, close to 400+ touches a season, not counting the playoffs? Can't recall any player getting that many touches in a season without suffering a huge drop-off the next year.

LDT, Emmitt Smith, Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Shaun Alexander, etc., etc. all had their best years after having 350-400 touches in a season.

More generally I think RB is the most fungible position in the NFL, so work 'em if you got 'em.

Specifically I think the window for the Cards as they're currently constructed is pretty short, so saving DJ for a totally unknown future in which the team might not even be competitive doesn't make much sense.