All time NFL fastest man?

Chawker

Reaction score
I say it was " The bullet Bob Hayes". The only player to win a superbowl and a Olympic gold metal. He changed the game with teams adopting the zone coverage style of defense we see today. He said, that he never lost a 100 meter race.

Cheers

Maulbert

Reaction score
Chawker":1jpkmwfm said:
I say it was " The bullet Bob Hayes". The only player to win a superbowl and a Olympic gold metal. He changed the game with teams adopting the zone coverage style of defense we see today. He said, that he never lost a 100 meter race.

Cheers

It probably was Hayes, though Darrell Green would've given him a race in his prime.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Running in pads can be a totally different game.

I think Darrell Green is up there for sure. I had a neighbor who played with Prime and said that there were "no words" to describe how fast he was on the field.

On a related note.....Is Galloway the fastest Seahawk ever?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The legend of Bo Jackson's 4.12 40 time in college is good enough for me, because he's still the greatest athlete I've ever seen in person. Dude made grown ass men look like boys in pads.

Galloway ran a sub 4.20, so yeah I'd say he's probably the fastest Hawk ever.

D

DomeHawk

NFL fastest times are established at the NFL combine with verifiable electronic timing. Everything else is pure subjective speculation.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Some fast Hawks.......

Marvin Bracy
Michael Bates - 200m Olympic Bronze
Cyril Grayson
Leon Washington

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":dbl9fnyh said:
The legend of Bo Jackson's 4.12 40 time in college is good enough for me, because he's still the greatest athlete I've ever seen in person. Dude made grown ass men look like boys in pads.

Apparently, Darrell Green ran 4.09 unofficially in Redskins training camp in 1987.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Yes! D. Green was a very fast, and there is a big difference between on the field speed, the 40 speed and the 100 meters. Green was clock at a 4.43 at the age of 50.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Chawker":3hc01krv said:
Yes! D. Green was a very fast, and there is a big difference between on the field speed, the 40 speed and the 100 meters. Green was clock at a 4.43 at the age of 50.

I believe it. From what I heard, he still ran sub-4.3 at the age of 40.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1kn68bmb said:

both of those aren't true.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smellyman":g2c3xkex said:
Sgt. Largent":g2c3xkex said:

both of those aren't true.

Galloway's is

https://www.si.com/edge/photos/2014/05/ ... history#15

Herbstreit tweeted out that Galloway ran a 4.29 at age 42, so not sure why it's hard to believe he didn't run a 4.18 in his prime.

Smellyman

Reaction score
(*Galloway's time was calculated before the NFL implemented electronic timing to improve accuracy.)

You read that right? You know how much hand time can vary wildly right?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smellyman":3hdqhq19 said:
(*Galloway's time was calculated before the NFL implemented electronic timing to improve accuracy.)

You read that right? You know how much hand time can vary wildly right?

It was the accepted way of clocking player's 40 time. Even if we're off by a couple hundredths, or even tenths of a second Galloway's still the fastest Hawk of all time.

So not sure what we're arguing about. Dude had elite world class speed.

toffee

Reaction score
Maulbert":3afy59f3 said:
Sgt. Largent":3afy59f3 said:

Apparently, Darrell Green ran 4.09 unofficially in Redskins training camp in 1987.
did he own Jerry Rice one on one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smellyman

Reaction score
Yes he had elite speed. But isn't it amazing in the couple of decades of electronic timing where people train for nothing but great 40 times aren't near as fast as those players from the 80s and 90s.

and it's not a tenth or 100th

it could be a couple of tenths or more and the whoever timed it can fudge it and make a legend grow.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smellyman":371hn49a said:
Yes he had elite speed. But isn't it amazing in the couple of decades of electronic timing where people train for nothing but great 40 times aren't near as fast as those players from the 80s and 90s.

and it's not a tenth or 100th

it could be a couple of tenths or more and the whoever timed it can fudge it and make a legend grow.

Dudes are still running 40's in the 4.2's.

So guess we need to change the thread title to "All time fastest man, but only after 1999 cause that's way more fun than just talking about the older dudes who were really fast cause Smellyman doesn't buy their BS 40 times."

Too long?

NINEster

Reaction score
I've been a 40 enthusiast for a long time.....

What I've come to grips with is that for NFL players, there's a wall in that low 4.2x range. I just don't think we've seen or will see for quite some time a guy who can electronically be in the 4.1x range, let alone 4.xx range.

Even Usain Bolt if he made it a personal mission to be a 40 monster still might not be able to crack the 4.20 mark. What makes him an untouchable sprinter has a lot more to do with the final 30-40 meters of a 100 meter dash than it has to do with his ability to explode off the blocks.

In fact the way you run a 40 is way different than you'd run a 100. I forget which Giants DB it was from their last SB team (Aaron Ross?) who said his Olympic sprinter wife could beat him in a 100 but not in a 40. The 40 is short enough to not have to worry a lot about breath control or pacing.....it's just an all out explosion.

And that's really what a fast competitive 40 is -- technique, technique, technique to kill it those first 5-10 yards. Some guys can get that down better than others due to more dedicated training or possibly a more favorable body for that purpose. The 40 is still not a perfect barometer of speed when you're comparing guys in a similar range. I read somewhere that scouts like a fast 40 more for what it says about the player's dedication to training than his actual time. A QB running a 4.55 40 that wasn't pegged as a mobile guy will impress for his work ethic much more than his ability to fly.

The only 4.0x or 4.1x 40s we are going to see these days are a flying 40......that much I would believe.

Just think of all the guys who like to say that the modern NFL players are so much faster and stronger than the guys from 20-30 years ago. So on a whole they're faster but Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson ran low 4.1x???

:lol:

Lastly while we're on topic (and unfortunately it's not the shack) , but most regular guys are full of s*****........

The amount of claims of "running a 4.6 in HS" when that might not even be the median time at the NFL combine proves that many men are insecure AF and can't help it. LMFAO!

NINEster

Reaction score
toffee":ugs20ow4 said:
Maulbert":ugs20ow4 said:
Sgt. Largent":ugs20ow4 said:

did he own Jerry Rice one on one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own him in straight sprinting? F yeah....

But in actual battles on game day, it was fairly even.

Latest posts