Jets' Osemele has surgery, team calls it "unexcused."

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/10/jets-me ... utType=amp

From the Jets' POV, the injury happened when he was on the Raiders and think he can get away with just having Torodol injections before each game through this season. Whereas he says it hurts too much now and Torodol isn't working. But getting the surgery now means he can spend the season rehabbing. If healthy, he would get more attention in the offseason as he will almost certainly be released due to performance.

That's the basic story, but even with the latter motive on the player's part, I can't see the Jets doing anything but shooting themselves in the foot here. If he had no issue at all, he would not be seeking surgery or subjecting himself to Torodol injections. Worker's comp doesn't preclude prior injuries--if it got aggrevated by current on the job conditions, the employer still is liable. Torodol (it's an NSAID in the same category as Aleve) is very effective, you don't get high from it, but it is only supposed to be taken for five days. Opioid therapy despite the panic around it is the only alternative for severe pain. This guy can't even smoke a j even though medical marijuana is legally available due to NFL rules.

In the end, I don't think an employer, even an NFL team, can order a player to not fix their medical issues no matter what they feel about the player's motive.