The Persecution of Marshawn Lynch: A 100+ Year Long Process

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
What we as fans of the Seattle Seahawks are seeing again and again is that the NFL media is chalk full of individuals who know very little about and even seem to dislike our own Marshawn Lynch. We've heard presumptuous statements about his beliefs and his character, ranging from accusations of being a locker room distraction to an all out cancer. Unsurprisingly, this comes from sources that Lynch chooses to guard those very qualities from. Much of this behavior has been explained away as racially motivated bias, efforts to smear Lynch for not cooperating with the entitlement of certain media members, and manufactured conflict for the sake of creating a juicier story than the one Lynch is giving them. What is surprising, however, is there is a bias at work and there is a juicy story to be told. That story is America's transformation into an extroverted culture and how that transformation has lead to both the mistreatment and misunderstanding of Marshawn Lynch we're witnessing today.

"Marshawn, people have been trying to change you your whole life." -Pete Carroll

Robert Klemko was able to bring this line and the context in which it was said to our attention in his article A Marshawn Kind of Way (linked below). What Robert wasn't able to accomplish in a short article, though, was articulating some of the core reasons why people have been trying to change Marshawn his whole life. On Marshawn's end, those reasons are due to the way his mind works and due to his upbringing not offering the chance to learn the social skills needed to skillfully navigate the NFL media as more extroverted players, like Michael Strahan, have been able to do. On the media's end, those reasons are due to America's recent history with the development of big business and a misunderstanding about what makes the best kind of salesperson.

Introversion isn't just about a preference for how we communicate with others; it's about stimulation. Whether we're listening to music, viewing a landscape, talking with a coworker, or even in how a person handles having a small army of needy reporters shoving recorders in their face, we're all going to handle ourselves differently based upon what fears and pleasures we get out of those experiences. Introverts have tons of tendencies from those fears and pleasures. They tend to listen to music at a lower volume, solve complex puzzles more quickly, retain more of the information they've seen or read, etc. Introverted people like detail and get more stimulation out of less than extroverts. They're also very easily over-stimulated, especially when speaking in public. When reporters attempt to conduct the standard post-game interview with a dozen people crowding around a player's locker, it's too much stimulation for the detail-oriented mind of someone like Marshawn. The end result is an unpleasant experience for Marshawn and a terrible interview for the reporters.

So, why do they do it?

During the end of the 19th century, our country was beginning to become an industrial juggernaut. This part of our nation's evolution created a new demand for the salesperson and all sorts of ideas about what made the best salesperson. The victor among those ideas was the out-going, assertive personalities of heavily extroverted individuals. The idea was that being out-going allowed greater ability to connect with a potential customer and like all plausible ideas, this one was particularly contagious. The problem, however, is it isn't entirely true. What makes one person gifted as a salesmen in acting as a public speaker in front of a crowd of people will often also make them weaker as a salesmen in a one-on-one encounter. This is because for the heavily extroverted mind, a crowd is exciting; it's the perfect level of stimulation. However, getting people what they want when dealing with them one-on-one and one-by-one requires getting into more detail and this exercise in detail is typically pretty boring for an extrovert. There is no single ideal salesmen as a sale depends too greatly on context. For a large business to reach its utmost potential, they need both introverts and extroverts and especially those who are willing to learn the skills that come less naturally.

Modern day reporters attempt to engage Marshawn as they are because they don't recognize this. They're hopped up on the extroverted ideal because that's the group-think that's been passed down to them from a previous generation. If Lynch were put into a brain-scanning fMRI machine designed to determine what kind of brain activity is happening, we'd see some big differences in activity depending on what situation he was placed in. If he were in there and shown a few pictures of defensive fronts, we would see his synapses flair and all the gears start to turn and turn at a higher rate than many other RBs. If we put him in and played a clip of the typical group of reporters asking questions, we would see his fight-or-flight take over instead of the deep thinking. People have been trying to change Marshawn because they haven't recognized that what makes him so uncomfortable during post-game interviews is one reason why he is so skilled as a player.

Some introverted people are able to be highly successful doing what extroverts are born being better at but Marshawn Lynch didn't have the sort of childhood necessary to grow those particular skills. Introverts require being exposed little by little to what over-stimulates them to reduce the effect of their fight-or-flight response. With growing up on food-stamps in the projects without a father, Lynch's skill as a public speaker years down the road was probably the last thing on his or his mother's mind. Pete Carroll has never tried to change Marshawn because he realized this part of Marshawn's past and recognized the resulting duality of his psyche. It's like Marshawn says; he's just about that action. More importantly, he's found a place accepting of that. Now if only the entire NFL media could follow suit...

Information in this post comes from:

A Marshawn Kind of Way, Robert Klemko ---- (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/09/marshawn- ... hawks-nfl/)
Marshawn Lynch: rare glimpse at soft side of Seahawks’ Beast Mode, Larry Stone ---- (http://seattletimes.com/html/larrystone ... 05xml.html)
Quiet, Susan Cain (Book: http://seattle.bibliocommons.com/item/s ... 1030_quiet) (Her website: http://www.thepowerofintroverts.com/)

hawk35fan

Reaction score
Because he is short in response and quick to the point, we will now be subjected to books and intellectual articles for years to come. Really makes you shake your head in despair for society.

shawnsim

Reaction score
I give you props for your dissertation however; he is also Oaktown street. Maybe we cannot weigh and measure him but, that's our world. Lynch lives outside of our world. He most likely regards us as incomprehensibly as the mediots view him.

For whatever reason. I say let him be. He is not out flashing new world order symbols like Lebron or Victor Cruz. He is here to do his job.

I respect that. He seems like a man who is saying F you. I will not sell out or compromise. I will work harder than anyone. Just stay away and leave me alone.

Again, I respect him and his anti media self.

OP
OP
B

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
That's the thing though. It doesn't appear that he's simply anti-media. He's been happy to talk with certain people, like Michael Silver, and even during the "Yeah" interview he took a moment to mention his charity for poor families back in Oakland. He seems to be against the media only when they're pestering him to provide content for the sake of entertainment.

shawnsim

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":t8f8herv said:
That's the thing though. It doesn't appear that he's simply anti-media. He's been happy to talk with certain people, like Michael Silver, and even during the "Yeah" interview he took a moment to mention his charity for poor families back in Oakland. He seems to be against the media only when they're pestering him to provide content for the sake of entertainment.

True. And a good thought.

I think that he has his ideals that he is committed to but; he hates bs. I think that in this light we could both be right or way off the mark.

Anyway. Anyone who puts this much energy into a post should be commended. I commend you.

Just think that our assessment may be off the mark as Lynch lives a life that is entirely different from ours in every possible way. How can we possibly assess his motives?

I would just rather not.

Good post though. This is likely a topic that will be revisited 20 years from now.

Rocket

Reaction score
I think he just despises questions asked with their own answer, the grossly leading question.
Listen my children and you shall hear
Idiots, masquerading as journalists.

chet380

Reaction score
hawk35fan":2jm9ho34 said:
Because he is short in response and quick to the point, we will now be subjected to books and intellectual articles for years to come. Really makes you shake your head in despair for society.

Any discussion as to a person's motivations involves "mind-reading", or more formally. "empathic accuracy", and any speculation as to those motivations is fraught with peril.

The following is the simplistic Wikipedia discussion on the topic:

"In psychology, empathic accuracy refers to how accurately one person can infer the thoughts and feelings of another person. It was first introduced in conjunction with the term empathic inference, which was presented by psychologists William Ickes and William Tooke in 1988.[1] Since then research on empathic accuracy has explored its relationship with the concepts of affect sharing and mentalizing. In order to accurately infer another’s psychological state, one must be able to both share that state (affect sharing), and understand cognitively how to label that state (mentalizing). Neuroscience research has shown that brain activation associated with empathic accuracy overlaps with both the areas responsible for affect sharing and mentalizing".

In short, these speculations as to ML's motivations are interesting, but of little value.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
hawk35fan":127zwpyz said:
Wooooowwww! Books and intellectual articles. The evil of it all. Burn them! Burn the books! And kill the intellectuals! Round them up in concentration camps!

ZEIG HIEL!!

dunceface

Reaction score
One thing the OP forgot to mention is that Marshawn Lynch is a full grown man.

chawx

Reaction score
I did not come to Seahawks.NET this morning with my cup o' joe to get that deep into human psychology... but I enjoyed the read. Thank you, OP. I appreciate your time and effort on this post.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Good food for thought. Our culture is over-saturated with soulless flash and dazzle. We're stuck in this Reality TV version of Shakespeare's "so much sound and fury signifying nothing" that people who don't question it seem to think EVERYONE wants to strut their stuff on the proverbial red carpet. That's simply not the case. I admire Marshawn for having a high-profile job while consciously maintaining his privacy and keeping his day-to-day as real as possible.