Cowboys DT arrested for pot possession

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/282 ... ng-charges

This is like the old "dry state" laws. The whole West Coast is recreational as are Colorado, Mass and others. Michigan and Illinois are going that way.Joe Montana, Gronk, others are invested in marijuana.

He wasn't booked for being under the influence, either. Nor technically for even having it in his vehicle. He was booked for having it in the first place.

Reform is needed.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
At my former employer I couldn’t use pot products and could be fired anytime for a positive test, even though pot is legal in Washington.
You wouldn’t believe how many employers still have these archaic rules. Pot needs to be treated like alcohol when it comes to employers.

That being said, rules as much as they may suck are rules. If me and my $45,000 a year job can stay pot free, millionaire athletes with millions on the line and much more to lose should be able to do so too.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2uuaucib said:
At my former employer I couldn’t use pot products and could be fired anytime for a positive test, even though pot is legal in Washington.
You wouldn’t believe how many employers still have these archaic rules. Pot needs to be treated like alcohol when it comes to employers.

That being said, rules as much as they may suck are rules. If me and my $45,000 a year job can stay pot free, millionaire athletes with millions on the line and much more to lose should be able to do so too.

Unfortunately with the testing for THC, you can't tell if someone is currently high or just smoked the night before, week before, etc. At least with alcohol and BAC you can tell if someone is intoxicated at that moment.

Agreed on the rest. Couldn't imagine throwing away that much money and/or potential to smoke pot.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
This player was hurt, and in that case I think there needs to be a medical exemption.

Due to the opioid scare, it's harder for anyone to get them for injuries less than a car crash. Torodol is a gut and kidney ripper, insanely unsafe in long-term use. The rest of the NSAID class isn't much better than Aleve.

So if you're a player with a busted rib or ankle that you're saving your Torodol "allowance" and tolerance for gameday for, you're still hurting and the league continues to preclude the safest sanest alternative.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":67w5twvy said:
This player was hurt, and in that case I think there needs to be a medical exemption.

Due to the opioid scare, it's harder for anyone to get them for injuries less than a car crash. Torodol is a gut and kidney ripper, insanely unsafe in long-term use. The rest of the NSAID class isn't much better than Aleve.

So if you're a player with a busted rib or ankle that you're saving your Torodol "allowance" and tolerance for gameday for, you're still hurting and the league continues to preclude the safest sanest alternative.
Oh, I agree. Pot shouldn’t be an issue and should be legal everywhere. Also need the testing technology to catch up.
They need a test to determine the difference if you used 2 minutes ago or 3 weeks ago.
It’s coming, just a matter of time.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Couldn't this be done with a oropharyngeal swab in current year? That's how most of it is ingested and past 12 hours max it's not like it'll impair coordination.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":176d61v7 said:
Couldn't this be done with a oropharyngeal swab in current year? That's how most of it is ingested and past 12 hours max it's not like it'll impair coordination.
I don't think so.

justafan

Reaction score
Most of the unions and construction workers in the Puget Sound area can get drug tested. Especially if there is an L&I claim or accident. Even if it wasnt your fault.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
justafan":260gsnx1 said:
Most of the unions and construction workers in the Puget Sound area can get drug tested. Especially if there is an L&I claim or accident. Even if it wasnt your fault.

Do you happen to know if this extends to shipyard workers or deckmen on union boats in the harbor.

Asking for a friend.

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":27ve79ys said:
justafan":27ve79ys said:

Do you happen to know if this extends to shipyard workers or deckmen on union boats in the harbor.

Asking for a friend.

Most employers still will consider Pot a illegal substance, and will treat as such do to THC, it's a liability issue, I get hurt, your smoking Pot or whatever ingestion method you use, I say I am suing because your allowing something that alters performance to be used on the job.

justafan

Reaction score
chris98251":2mg9y2wq said:
SantaClaraHawk":2mg9y2wq said:
justafan":2mg9y2wq said:

Asking for a friend.

I dont know. lol

Most employers still will consider Pot a illegal substance, and will treat as such do to THC, it's a liability issue, I get hurt, your smoking Pot or whatever ingestion method you use, I say I am suing because your allowing something that alters performance to be used on the job.

I think an employer has the right to expect people to follow his guidelines.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Employers will no longer be able to test for THC when it's a legal substance on the federal level. Until then it will continue.
My guess, 5 years, no more than 10.

xray

Reaction score
I read that ...and I flushed mine .

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1h6lx7sm said:
Employers will no longer be able to test for THC when it's a legal substance on the federal level. Until then it will continue.
Wrong. You should probably spend less time high. Employers can test for alcohol and fire drunk employees, that's still allowed even though alcohol is legal. That won't change with marijuana when it's legalized at the federal level. Anything you do to impair your judgment and ability to function will still be fair game.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/drug- ... nt-2060409

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":sddi43i2 said:
justafan":sddi43i2 said:

Asking for a friend.
Anyone in the maritime industry that carries a USCG credential in any way is governed by the department of transportation regulations. Usually only get tested when you're renewing your credentials, but if there's an accident/injury I would be ready for it.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":159bepqi said:
hawksfansinceday1":159bepqi said:
Wrong. You should probably spend less time high. Employers can test for alcohol and fire drunk employees, that's still allowed even though alcohol is legal. That won't change with marijuana when it's legalized at the federal level. Anything you do to impair your judgment and ability to function will still be fair game.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/drug- ... nt-2060409
I don't get high and haven't for quite some time (like about 20 years) and I resent the fact that you assume that I do because my opinion is contrary to yours. I have no problem with you expressing an opinion contrary to mine, and you may well be right but you don't have to be an asshat about it. Actually, maybe YOU do.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2nlxguv2 said:
I don't get high and haven't for quite some time (like about 20 years) and I resent the fact that you assume that I do because my opinion is contrary to yours. I have no problem with you expressing an opinion contrary to mine, and you may well be right but you don't have to be an asshat about it. Actually, maybe YOU do.
The part about being less high was just a joke, relax. The rest of my point isn't an opinion, though. I don't see how you can disagree with it. Alcohol is legal, but abusing it is grounds for any employer to fire anyone. Any other substance that can impair your ability to function is obviously going to be eligible for the same treatment. Don't get mad at me because you didn't think about that, though I suppose you can get mad at me for bluntly pointing it out if you really want to.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1qj91zkx said:
hawksfansinceday1":1qj91zkx said:
The part about being less high was just a joke, relax. The rest of my point isn't an opinion, though. I don't see how you can disagree with it. Alcohol is legal, but abusing it is grounds for any employer to fire anyone. Any other substance that can impair your ability to function is obviously going to be eligible for the same treatment. Don't get mad at me because you didn't think about that, though I suppose you can get mad at me for bluntly pointing it out if you really want to.
Do you have any idea how many times in my life I've seen people come to work blindingly hungover and not able to do a job and not a word is said yet in the same week someone got fired for testing positive for marijuana that they may have smoked 3 weeks before? Let me answer that question for you, many times. That is crap. Employers are going to do what they feel is best and if you want to work for them you'll have to toe their line, I get it. But it doesn't make comparing alcohol and marijuana reasonable. No, nobody should be under the influence of anything at work especially if they're running machinery or driving or something like that.

As for the NFL do you think it's better that they use opioids to manage their pain or marijuana if it is effective for them?
Do you think of say Duane Brown smoked a bowl recreationally Tuesday night it's going to affect his performance on the field Sunday night in Los Angeles?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Employers having the right, and exercising it, are not the same thing. I know someone who wakes and bakes every single morning and goes to work. For the record, I think marijuana should be allowed for NFL players. I also think that if a player show up for a game high AF that the team should have the right to discipline him.

Team Slapaho

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3t6iruqa said:

I disagree, we have forklift drivers who smoke pot and have nearly crushed people because they are high. So no, the rules aren’t archaic, they are there to protect us from people who think they have the “right” (because the state made it legal to do so in your home) to smoke weed and operate equipment and or vehicles. I personally HATE that people do this and are behind the wheel of a vehicle.