Cowboys Coin Toss Controversy

HawkGA

Reaction score
Anybody pay much attention to it? It was one of those headlines I saw Sunday night and have been meaning to read up on and watch about. Finally getting around to it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowb ... cond-half/

What bugs me most about it, is that there was a similar event a few years ago. That might have been college, though, so I understand there are differences. But in that instance, the team was certainly not given the benefit of the doubt. Wish I could remember the details and disappointed I haven't seen it referred to in any of the articles I've seen so far (which certainly is not exhaustive).

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
From what I understand, the key word is "defer" and how Prescott allegedly said it.

There are scenarios where a team could elect to let the other team have the other team receive in both halves. More in college and in really bad weather, but AFAIK it's permitted under the NFL coin toss rules.

Maulbert

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1tbegaid said:
From what I understand, the key word is "defer" and how Prescott allegedly said it.

There are scenarios where a team could elect to let the other team have the other team receive in both halves. More in college and in really bad weather, but AFAIK it's permitted under the NFL coin toss rules.

Dak clearly said "Defense" and "We wanna kick" before "Defer" came out of his mouth. That's a rookie mistake.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Well that's just silly. Shows how close I pay attention to games outside the Seahawks. I didn't even notice

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Maulbert":105mejzy said:
SantaClaraHawk":105mejzy said:

Dak clearly said "Defense" and "We wanna kick" before "Defer" came out of his mouth. That's a rookie mistake.

The ref, apparently confused by Dak's mistake, asks him at least twice. Dak does eventually day defer, but it is after much "We wanna kick" and We wanna kick that way" talk. Honestly it is just weird. Watch the video. His level of anxiousness is almost like he's never been in a coin toss before and is overly excited. This shouldn't be a new thing for him at this point.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Maulbert":2rxj7eud said:
SantaClaraHawk":2rxj7eud said:

Abner Haynes of the Dallas Texans (now KC Chiefs) did this going into OT of the 1962 AFL Championship game. It became known as "Haynes' Blunder". The Texans survived his mistake and eventually won.

[youtube]RLSBHJpHsRY[/youtube]

Maulbert

Reaction score
HawkGA":2el3ozgm said:
Maulbert":2el3ozgm said:
SantaClaraHawk":2el3ozgm said:

The ref, apparently confused by Dak's mistake, asks him at least twice. Dak does eventually day defer, but it is after much "We wanna kick" and We wanna kick that way" talk. Honestly it is just weird. Watch the video. His level of anxiousness is almost like he's never been in a coin toss before and is overly excited. This shouldn't be a new thing for him at this point.

I did. How do you think I know what he said? He said "kick" at least 3 times before he said "defer". Again, that's a rookie mistake, and the NFL bailed them out. I don't think it would have affected the game much, anyway. Dallas had won by halftime.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sorry, the watch the video wasn't directed at you. More a recommendation to SChawk.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This would be a big story if the Cowboys were not up 31-7 most of the game and ended up winning 44-21.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Maulbert":3sgm0om0 said:
HawkGA":3sgm0om0 said:
Maulbert":3sgm0om0 said:
SantaClaraHawk":3sgm0om0 said:

I did. How do you think I know what he said? He said "kick" at least 3 times before he said "defer". Again, that's a rookie mistake, and the NFL bailed them out. I don't think it would have affected the game much, anyway. Dallas had won by halftime.
it didn't affect the outcome, but it's BS that the league stepped in and changed it. The rule clearly states that the refs have to accept the first choice the captain makes. By the letter of the law, he/Dallas should have been locked into their first choice of kicking, thereby the choice in the 2nd half goes to the Rams. They didn't even bother to inform either side until they came out of the locker room for the 2nd half. Kind of a bad precedent to set by the league I think.

Latest posts