Packers going to college

rlkats

Reaction score
They Packers coaching staff is going back to college to learn how to stop the read offense. Question do you guys thing that the read offense is a fad or gimmic like the wild cat or the next big thing? I believe its a gimmic and once its figured out it will get a QB hurt. Then on the other hand if the defense has to worry about a QB running it makes it harder to defend. Any thoughts?

chris98251

Reaction score
If it's not the primary offense but a addition then a team has to be able to account for it, they can't cheat up and the DE's have to maintain space. If they creep into the edge they can get sealed off and a QB can run on a end around easily and simply step out of bounds or slide. The yardage gained would be significant since the WR or slot guy in that formation could clear out that edge. Having a RB and or FB leading you can shadow block LB's as the QB gains his yardage.

We defensed the 49ers well taking away running lanes and maintaining gap discipline. the one thing you may be exposed to is intermediate routs in the passing game, which we were. Making WR's pay for catches is what makes that part of an offenses game collapse. Davis paid dearly, that made the other receivers start playing with short arms and their head on a swivel creating drops and incompletions.

OP
OP
rlkats

rlkats

Reaction score
I agree it will be interesting if the running QB'S change their game after RG3 injury. it seems to hard hitting D and gap disliplne is the way to beat the read offense.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Yes a full time read option such as Washington's will cream QBs. And be vulnerable to game planning.

The mistake the naysayers make about CK's and RW's offense is they assume they're running a mostly read offense, they don't. Instead they feel you out with their standard offense until they determine if the defense is vulnerable to the read option packages, even then, they mix a few read plays into the basic offense and go from there. Add that to a smart QB like Wilson who's demonstrated he can elude hits (only really saw him take 1 really bad looking hit all year, and it wasn't off an option), and the chances of injury are there but significantly lowered.

Russell has also stated how much he enjoys throwing out of the read option/pistol type packages. He doesn't really want to run the ball himself, rather get the ball to playmakers.

It's hard to 100% defend what offenses aren't showing you until they realize they can burn you with it. Add a smart and shifty QB in there and I don't think it's a passing fad like the wildcat before it. Wilson (and possibly CK) aren't reckless, concussion riddled ball hogs like most of the gimmick players before them have been. Wilson at least is just fine as a pocket passer.

OP
OP
rlkats

rlkats

Reaction score
Point well made Lady Talon. I have seen Wlison slice up teams on the run and in the air. I have seen teams stop CK from running ala the Falcons game, he hardly ran but beat them with his arm. Both QB'S have that dynamic to them. I feel Wilson is WAY furthur along than CK. time will tell. But the question remains will RGIII be able to do the same as WIlson and CK? I hope CK develops into the QB that can hit the short and intermediate like wilson can. And go through his proper progressions.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
rlkats":1vnu5lsk said:
Point well made Lady Talon. I have seen Wlison slice up teams on the run and in the air. I have seen teams stop CK from running ala the Falcons game, he hardly ran but beat them with his arm. Both QB'S have that dynamic to them. I feel Wilson is WAY furthur along than CK. time will tell. But the question remains will RGIII be able to do the same as WIlson and CK? I hope CK develops into the QB that can hit the short and intermediate like wilson can. And go through his proper progressions.

When you get past the type casts the media put Wilson and CK into they both averaged close to 30 yards a game on the ground. Right in line with the statistics put up by a more famous mobile QB, Steve Young.

As for RG3 I have my doubts because of Shanahan. This is the man that was caught on NFL Films forcing Terrell Davis into the Superbowl game vs. the Packers when TD was having a migraine and said he was blind and unable to play.

I really don't know what to believe of the Wildcard game with the Hawks, but I have big questions about him not pulling RG3 for Cousins. I know it was "explained away" by Griffin and Shanny saying he was the best chance to win and so on and so on, but if that was true, and Shanny left him out there when he was clearly in danger of hurting himself worse and couldn't move the offense, then how in the hell did they expect to get past the Falcons in the Divisional round? If he was afraid to pull the trigger on Cousins against the Seahawks until Griffin got mauled, why risk that even if you win, you'll have to play Cousins at Atlanta and lose your best chance at winning that game? Everyone swallowed that line a little too easily, but in effect what the two were saying is we purposely gave up on the Superbowl just to win a Wildcard game. Who does that?

Shanahan will let Griffin destroy himself simply because he doesn't have to pay him what he's worth until his third year, and has Cousins who can sign to a more reasonable contract and is a good QB in his own right.

OP
OP
rlkats

rlkats

Reaction score
I think Shanny just destroyed his best QB. I hope im wrong. But I think Shanny should be banned from the NFL

McGruff

Reaction score
Any adjustments to accommodate the read option are going to open up other opportunities for an offense. As long as you have a QB who can run a standard offense as well (like Wilson) I'm not too worried.

I would be worried if I were CK or Newton. Not as sold on those two guys being able to adjust to defenses adjusting.

sutz

Reaction score
I imagine every team in the league is watching college film now to work on this.

They'll be watching our film, too.

;)

Bobblehead

Reaction score
chris98251":dig59aip said:
If it's not the primary offense but a addition then a team has to be able to account for it, they can't cheat up and the DE's have to maintain space. If they creep into the edge they can get sealed off and a QB can run on a end around easily and simply step out of bounds or slide. The yardage gained would be significant since the WR or slot guy in that formation could clear out that edge. Having a RB and or FB leading you can shadow block LB's as the QB gains his yardage.

We defensed the 49ers well taking away running lanes and maintaining gap discipline. the one thing you may be exposed to is intermediate routs in the passing game, which we were. Making WR's pay for catches is what makes that part of an offenses game collapse. Davis paid dearly, that made the other receivers start playing with short arms and their head on a swivel creating drops and incompletions.

Maybe, but the real reason we defended the 49ers so well in our last game was by going ahead big time forcing them to pass long into the strength of our defense. We really took Kaep and the 9ers out of their game plan and forced into a game that they don't really do well.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well watch the Super Bowl, the Ravens were using a lot of our scheme, Ray Lewis wasn't as fast as our LB's and they exploited that aspect but it was the same scheme for the most part till the lights went out and they seem to lose thier legs.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I don't know if the Ravens did lose their legs as such. The problem with having brothers as coaches, could you imagine the awkwardness in the family if John had blown out Jim, considering the personalities, I think John H. let off the gas.

JOz56

Reaction score
Lady Talon":3irmthr6 said:
I don't know if the Ravens did lose their legs as such. The problem with having brothers as coaches, could you imagine the awkwardness in the family if John had blown out Jim, considering the personalities, I think John H. let off the gas.

I dunno about that angle. Nearly blow the SB just because there might be some awkwardness? If it was my brother I was coaching against, I'd have done everything possible to make sure he remembers his place.

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2dt6inyd said:
chris98251":2dt6inyd said:

Maybe, but the real reason we defended the 49ers so well in our last game was by going ahead big time forcing them to pass long into the strength of our defense. We really took Kaep and the 9ers out of their game plan and forced into a game that they don't really do well.

Reportedly the 49ers were also hiding the Pistol Offense when the play the Seahawks, Patriots and Cardinals at the end of the season. That could have some to do with it as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
Reportedly the 49ers were also hiding the Pistol Offense when the play the Seahawks, Patriots and Cardinals at the end of the season. That could have some to do with it as well.

Hiding? I seen the game and we had our DE's wide and kept gap and lane control, only a couple of times did things break down. Forcing the lineman into Kaeps lap so to speak and he had no where to go. Sounds like an excuse.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
JOz56":1i5wt12w said:
Lady Talon":1i5wt12w said:

I dunno about that angle. Nearly blow the SB just because there might be some awkwardness? If it was my brother I was coaching against, I'd have done everything possible to make sure he remembers his place.

even if the Niners did score on their last drive there was over a minute on the clock and multiple timeouts for the Ravens to respond if the D let them down.

John's quite a bit different from his brother. He wanted to win but rubbing Jim's nose in it is not his style, nor the way he's coached.

Considering Jim's a big baby about everything, all blowing him out would accomplish is making him whine and hold a grudge, putting stress on his parents and distracting John from his job.

Does putting your brother in his place include humiliating him in front of the world? God, Jim won't shut up about holds, and spent what about ten minutes repeating, "Walt!" because a ref was ignoring him. If I were his brother, I wouldn't be tipping that bucket of insanity over.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well how would you like to be at the next family get together with those two. Just hope they don't do Ka Bobs on the bar b que.

JOz56

Reaction score
Lady Talon":fpxfey47 said:
JOz56":fpxfey47 said:
Lady Talon":fpxfey47 said:

Does putting your brother in his place include humiliating him in front of the world? God, Jim won't shut up about holds, and spent what about ten minutes repeating, "Walt!" because a ref was ignoring him. If I were his brother, I wouldn't be tipping that bucket of insanity over.

Absolutely it does. My brother and I are highly competitive with eachother though, so that might be why. However, if Jim had a chance to rub it into his brothers nose, I hardly doubt that he would take the gas off.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
That's one reason to let off right there. John has class and doesn't want to be Jim. I don't know who would.