Best superbowl loser NFC WEST Version

mretrade

Reaction score
So they are showing the Cardinals vs Steelers superbowl on NFL Network. And I forgot how good this Arizona team actually was and how close they got to winning it.

Who had the best team?

2005 Seahawks
2008 Cardinals
2013 49ers

drdiags

Reaction score
Based on how the games played out, '05 Seahawks don't make it. The other two played a close to the wire finish. '05 just never got a chance to see a real game but I am not going to rehash on it.

I am not sure how you get a unbiased opinion but I would take 9ers defense and if Martz wasn't a butt-head, the Rams '01 offense. I am having a hard time trying to be impartial and being objective but I cannot pick 1 out of the 3. Gun to head, since my buddy tells me we fans tend to romanticize the past and the players even 5 yrs cannot compare with the excellence that is today's NFL player, I will choose the 9ers. Only because anything older than a couple years is ancient times.

Tough question in all honesty. Homer in me will say the '05 Seahawks.

mikeak

Reaction score
Rams or 49ers and I base that around what the team did the years close to that superbowl

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If Holmgren hadn't decided to convert our flippin' offense into an aerial attack in the Super Bowl after GETTING to the Super Bowl on a completely unstoppable juggernaut of a running game, we'd have one Lombardi already, despite those crooked-ass refs that made sure their anonymous bets in Vegas paid off.

hawker84

Reaction score
I'd choose the 05 Hawks over the 2013 9ers only because we had an established pro bowl caliber QB at the helm during our SB run, where SF had basically a rookie, plus i think our secondary was a bit better and our offensive/defensive lines were better.

Plus as stated before, we flat out dominated the majority of that game, and some how still managed to loose for some strange reason?

kearly

Reaction score
According to FO, it would be: '13 SF.. '05 SEA.............................................. '08 AZ.

With all due respect to the 2005 team, it was a bit of an outlier season. They had 13 wins that season which really sticks out during a Seahawks era that never saw more than 10 wins in any other Holmgren season.

AZ went 9-7 the year they went to the SB, they were terrible for years before that season, and they were terrible again just two years later. They played inspired football in the playoffs, but it was clearly a fluke run.

SF should have gone to the SB the year before they went, and they have a very strong core that figures to compete for championships for many years to come.

drdiags

Reaction score
Crap. I missed the whole point of the OP and went with '01 Rams instead of '08 AZ. Damn it Red Alice! You messed up my concentration.

Okay, I pick the '05 Seahawks before I would take the '08 Cardinals. Damn mind control.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Best Superbowl loser????

It is now official that we are in desperate need of the season to start.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NinerLifer":372uy3zj said:
Best Superbowl loser????

Yeah, because there haven't been 493 other threads in the past 4 months indicating the same thing, haha.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
NinerLifer":lx5ao613 said:
Best Superbowl loser????

I'm pretty sure that the general consensus would agree that desperation began in early February.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
San Fran is a tempting choice because they are very balanced but remembering back to the 05 Seahawks there is a couple things that stick out to me. Marcus Tubbs had his only healthy season and the difference he made for our defense was more significant than what even Justin Smith does for the Niners. In that we had a phenomenal bend but don't break defense that led the league in red zone production. Offensively we had the league MVP on a prove it contract year, the best O-line on football, an All Pro QB in his prime and Joe Juriviceous actually healthy.

If you reduce the O-line by letting Hutch walk and if Tubbs can't stay healthy, remove Alexanders contract year and break his foot and you have the 06 Seahawks. Not surprising we struggled moving forward but it shouldn't take away how good that 05 team was.

Consider the Steelers didn't have a first down until late in the 2nd quarter and after Manual was replaced by Pruit even if you ignore what our offensive production should have been and it's hard not to think that team was way better than the final numbers.

In a similar scenario with players and health, I would put the 05 Seahawks against any of the others mentioned and have no problem putting big money on it. Minus a predetermined victor that is.

God it really sucks to think how good that team really was and how many times we have put together a team of that quality only to have our one chance ripped away from us as if we aren't considered a real NFL franchise.