Redskins give Jay Gruden five-year deal to become head coach

Snake Plisskin

Reaction score
The Washington Redskins hired former Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden as head coach Thursday, FOX Sports 1 Insider Jay Glazer has confirme

Updated Jan 9, 2014 10:05 AM ET

Gruden interviewed with the team Wednesday and the two were reportedly closing in on a deal early Thursday, which has now been completed. The deal is for five years, Glazer reports.

The team will hold a news conference Thursday to introduce its new coach.

The Redskins endured a rocky season in 2013, finishing 3-13 after making the playoffs in the 2012. Washington opted to fire head coach Mike Shanahan once the season ended.

FOX Sports 1 Insider Mike Garafolo reports that early indications point to Redskins tight end coach Sean McVay will be Washington's offensive coordinator and Hue Jackson will replace Gruden as the Bengals' offensive coordinator.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/reds ... ach-010914

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like Hue Jackson as OC.

But that D needs a complete overhaul, and if the lose Orakpo, they are really boned.

youngchew

Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with the hire. Gruden is a players guy, and he'll be a leader of men in the locker room, unlike Shanahan.

Also, Bengals offense was top 10 in total yards, total points scored, and yards per play this season...

youngchew

Reaction score
Damn. I'd play for this guy. I like the fire in him. He's like a better version of his brother LOL.

Speech at around 1:14

[youtube]hZwAUtl2okA[/youtube]

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
youngchew":ggibj303 said:
I see nothing wrong with the hire. Gruden is a players guy, and he'll be a leader of men in the locker room, unlike Shanahan.

Also, Bengals offense was top 10 in total yards, total points scored, and yards per play this season...

Yet only 17th in offensive DVOA - meaning they feasted on weak competition and did poorly against good competition. A look at their schedule bears that out.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Not the kind of head coach you need for that situation. F this, and F that, and you suck, is not the way to go with a team that had that mentally and physically poor of a season. You need Tony Robbins, not boot camp Sargent.

youngchew

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":tk3sfl27 said:
youngchew":tk3sfl27 said:

Yet only 17th in offensive DVOA - meaning they feasted on weak competition and did poorly against good competition. A look at their schedule bears that out.

Good point about the DVOA, but look at the talent Gruden had to work with. After his 4 turnover playoff performance last week, its clear that Andy Dalton is a "decent, to sometimes good" qb, at most. Outside of AJ Green and Marvin Jones, not a whole lot there in Cincy. Bernard is still developing, and BJGE is okay.

If Griffin humbles himself and get back to his rookie year level of play, he's much better than Dalton. Skins also have one of the best young running backs in the league with Alfred Morris, Pierre Garcon who was #1 receiving in the NFL this season (caught more passes than anybody else in the league), and Jordan Reed, a rookie tight end who Troy Aikman called "RG3's Jason Witten." They've also got a probowl left tackle in Trent Williams.

The talent is there for Washington. With cap money to spend this year (Shanahan got the Redskins penalized and lost cap room for 3 years), they can find a true #2 receiver to compliment Garcon, and beef up their god awful offensive line.

And if the Redskins 29th ranked defense this season can turn it around, Skins might have a shot against the Eagles for the NFC Least next year.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
youngchew":c0vgfazc said:
Sarlacc83":c0vgfazc said:
youngchew":c0vgfazc said:

Good point about the DVOA, but look at the talent Gruden had to work with. After his 4 turnover playoff performance last week, its clear that Andy Dalton is a "decent, to sometimes good" qb, at most. Outside of AJ Green and Marvin Jones, not a whole lot there in Cincy. Bernard is still developing, and BJGE is okay.

If Griffin humbles himself and get back to his rookie year level of play, he's much better than Dalton. Skins also have one of the best young running backs in the league with Alfred Morris, Pierre Garcon who was #1 receiving in the NFL this season (caught more passes than anybody else in the league), and Jordan Reed, a rookie tight end who Troy Aikman called "RG3's Jason Witten." They've also got a probowl left tackle in Trent Williams.

The talent is there for Washington. With cap money to spend this year (Shanahan got the Redskins penalized and lost cap room for 3 years), they can find a true #2 receiver to compliment Garcon, and beef up their god awful offensive line.

And if the Redskins 29th ranked defense this season can turn it around, Skins might have a shot against the Eagles for the NFC Least next year.
I disagree very much with this. I think the Bengals are one of the more talented offensive teams in the league. Good at RB, great at WR, superb at TE. They have some damn good O-line as well.

Dalton had more than 30 TDs, and he is a product more of that O-line and who he is throwing to than anything.

HansGruber

Reaction score
I'm shocked that anyone would take the job in Washington. That team is in a big hole, with the second-worst owner in the NFL (Jerry Jones being #1). Goodbye Jay, we hardly knew ye.

Polaris

Reaction score
For the crime of being the offensive Coordinater of Andy Dalton and the Bengals, Jay Gruden is hereby sentenced to five years as coach of the Redskins.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So now I read that Hue Jackson is going to the Bengals to replace Gruden. I love that move. And think a lot less of Gruden to the RacistSkins because the only good will I had was because Hue being part of the deal.

A QB who doesn't yet fit his scheme. A primary RB who can't catch passes. A lack of good receivers. An awful defense in flux. Gruden is walking into a hot mess.

Polaris

Reaction score
Scottemojo":5bdss9dv said:
A QB who doesn't yet fit his scheme. A primary RB who can't catch passes. A lack of good receivers. An awful defense in flux. Gruden is walking into a hot mess.

You forgot one: A self-entitled QB that runs the team.

youngchew

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1kfhesy6 said:
So now I read that Hue Jackson is going to the Bengals to replace Gruden. I love that move. And think a lot less of Gruden to the RacistSkins because the only good will I had was because Hue being part of the deal.

LOL @ racistskins. you guys won't let it go, huh LOL. its all good.

RG3 will develop. he was the 3rd most accurate QB in his rookie year, and hopefully that will come back.

As far as a RB who can't catch passes, late this season Alfred Morris was relied upon heavily to catch passes in the flat.
It was quite clear in the second half of the season that they want Morris to become more of a threat in the dump down/screen game.

as far as lack of good receivers, Pierre Garcon led the NFL in receptions. #1 receiver in the league. Jordan Reed (if he hadn't got hurt) was on pace to be a top 10 tight end this season in his rookie year.

I assume you don't know any of this because you're probably not that familiar with the Skins and probably didn't see many of their games this year, so its all good. ;) Just kidding, man.

Defense is bad, really bad. Borderline historically bad. RG3 doesn't benefit from having the #1 defense in the NFL like Russell Wilson does. But Haslett was forced to run a 3-4 by Shanahan, when he's been a 4-3 coach all his career. Hopefully Gruden will allow Haslett to go back to the 4-3 and run a defense he's more comfortable with.

Bottom line is, only time will tell. We'll see what Griffin does in the next few years, and we will know who was the real problem: RG3 of Mike Shanahan and his son Kyle.