Re: Foles

Vetamur

Reaction score
Foles of the Eagles just completed a pretty amazing season, statistically. 8.5% TD rate.. 0.6% Int rate! 8-2 as the QB of record.

and yet, when mentioned at all among good or great QBs its almost out of obligation, and more often he isnt mentioned at all.

Im equally guilty of it.. he doesnt even come to mind when Im talking football "with the guys".

Is it something about Foles? Is it backlash against his coach, who some resent for bringing college style ball to the NFL? Is he considered a system qb (if so then everyone should be using parts of that system to get that success!)? A combination?

For all our martyr syndrom, Foles seems to be the player who has the biggest gap between respect received vs. respect earned.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
I believe that a lot of it, for me, has to do with the weak division that Foles played in and the incredible streak of luck that he rode. Some of his touchdown passes made Manning's throw to Malcom Smith look like a dart.

randomation

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":61ic8rsx said:
I believe that a lot of it, for me, has to do with the weak division that Foles played in and the incredible streak of luck that he rode. Some of his touchdown passes made Manning's throw to Malcom Smith look like a dart.

Luck plays in a weaker division then Foles at the moment which could change if the Texans get a qb which I am kind of hoping they do since then we might stop hearing about luck every second and how he is the class of his qb class.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
randomation":fnjtrsvv said:
CurryStopstheRuns":fnjtrsvv said:

Luck plays in a weaker division then Foles at the moment which could change if the Texans get a qb which I am kind of hoping they do since then we might stop hearing about luck every second and how he is the class of his qb class.

I don't know that the defenses are easier in Luck's division.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am guilty too.

I think that while the touchdown numbers are an anomaly, Foles is not getting the credit he deserves for not turning the ball over much.

Part of the not giving much credit to Foles things stems from the fact that not even his coach has been out there singing his praises.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Foles deserves to be in the conversation based on what he did last season. The next step, obviously, is for him to demonstrate that he can maintain/improve on that.

I think a lot of why he's not included is that he didn't look like much in his 6 starts in Andy Reid's last season. So he started this season WAY off the radar when it came to how he matched up with the other 2012 QB class. Add in the inherent bias against later round picks, and it's clear why he hasn't gotten much attention. If he starts off next season the same way he played for most of 2013, he'll force people to talk about him more.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Right or wrong, there are probably always going to be people who feel Foles is being propped up by Chip's offense. This is compounded, in part, by the fact that he didn't blow anyone's ears back while playing in Andy Reid's system and the fact that he doesn't really "tilt the field." The other thing that makes his numbers hard to accept is that they're almost TOO good. I mean, if we accept them for what they are, then we practically have to accept he's already as good as Manning and Rodgers. It just feels weird.

I'm impressed by the kid's throws and mastery or that offense though. Really going to be hard to deny him if he replicates the season he just had.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think it has a lot to do with him becoming the starter mid-season. Give him a full year as the main dude and we'll see what he can do. If he puts up similar numbers next year, I imagine he'll get more attention.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
He did well, no doubt; but come on, he had 11 regular season games starting in week five in a new (gimmicky?) style of offense by a new head coach. With an off-season of tape to study, we'll see how well he does this year.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
I think people want to see how he can adapt. Some have been duped by 1-year wonder stat qbs before (Anderson anyone?) so I think it is reasonable to put the breaks on till we can view a whole year out of him. You can look at our very own Wilson and see how teams played him differently from year 1 to year 2. Wilson adapted quite well to those defensive adjustments (like coaching edge rushers to ensure containment while not getting too far up-field). We'll have to see if Foles can do the same.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the fact that people focus on Kelly and the speed offense and not his players across the board. Foles if he produces next year and the Eagles make the playoffs will be a hot topic. Look at what Wilson had to do to break out from behind Luck, Griffin, and Tannehill, Glennon could be in a conversation as well if Smith gets the Bucs rolling.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Too soon to tell the guy seems pretty good, but not a full season yet. Maybe that is why he isn't mentioned much.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how he does next season. I am guilty of dismissing because chip Kelly offense, and I believe he will fall back down to earth and the numbers won't remain like they were last season. That being said he had a fantastic year

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Vetamur":20jjg2w2 said:
Foles of the Eagles just completed a pretty amazing season, statistically. 8.5% TD rate.. 0.6% Int rate! 8-2 as the QB of record.

and yet, when mentioned at all among good or great QBs its almost out of obligation, and more often he isnt mentioned at all.

Im equally guilty of it.. he doesnt even come to mind when Im talking football "with the guys".

Is it something about Foles? Is it backlash against his coach, who some resent for bringing college style ball to the NFL? Is he considered a system qb (if so then everyone should be using parts of that system to get that success!)? A combination?

For all our martyr syndrom, Foles seems to be the player who has the biggest gap between respect received vs. respect earned.
Most of those who are the armchair pundits on this board said he wasn't fit to be on the same field as any NFL player, so it makes sense they aren't mentioning him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Foles and Glennon as well as Wilson have been able to start their careers with basically no pressure, everything they have done is what 1st round picks were suppose to do and more. They just can play and prove experts wrong with every snap of the ball. They are playing with house money pretty much for the rest of their careers going forward.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
The jury is still out on Foles. We'll need to see how he does next year after DCs have the full offseason to gameplan for the Eagles offense. His TD/INT ratio is unsustainable so that will almost certainly regress even if he has a good season next year.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
He had very good stats, but the schedule was weak. I guess I don't think of Foles as trustable as RW or even Kaepernick's limited 2012 starts when his best wins against top competition came against Green Bay (without Aaron Rodgers), and Arizona at Philly.

A #1 schedule this year should change all that, if he excels with it, I'll eat crow.